LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My husband screwed up and I'm afraid we are going to have to pay. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-11, 01:58 PM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Kwolff123, honnestly just bring the vehicle to the dealership. I dont know why so many of us on here think that its too much to bring to the dealer. They are the ones who are factory trained and know the best about the vehicle. Plus if there is an incedent at the dealer they will cover it. Same thing happened to my uncle - jumped the car backwards and had to bring it to the dealer - they of course have seen this situation before and he was in and out in about an hour - he only had to replace about 4 fuses and was charged a small amount for diagnosis (about 1/2 an hr of labor).

I dont mean to be rude but in a situation like this we do not know the condition of your car and what the other factors are - we cant see it so bring it to somone who can properly fix the vehicle~!
Old 10-19-11, 03:06 PM
lennyd
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kwolff123
Battery did not work, so it looks like we are going to the dealership!
Hope you can take the battery back.

Let us know what happens please.

GL!
Old 10-19-11, 05:53 PM
JBLover
Pit Crew

I love the title of this thread! Hope everything works out.
Old 10-22-11, 06:29 PM
nc356
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Agree with Ay-Nako.................I was distracted, did same thing to my same car '04 LS430; ouch! Can't begin to remember how many warning lights stayed lit.
Was 120 miles from nearest dealer; able to drive 30-35mph tops; took it to nearest Toyota dealer (still 200 miles from home.)
In 1-1/2 hours , I was on my way, breathing a $5000 sigh of relief.
Old 10-23-11, 06:53 PM
Kwolff123
Driver School Candidate

I'll be honest and say that because of fear, time, and because this car is an extra we have yet to take it to the dealership, but that is on our list for this week. Nc356 and ay-nako, I hope you are right. I can only see $$$ and I don't like it!
Old 10-24-11, 12:20 PM
GRAND_LS 4
3UZ-FEEEE

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I have had this same problem several years ago on a 96LS back in the day. When you connect the terminals backward, you burn the main fuse (should be pink.) Its a ... get ready for this... a whopping $3.0000000-$4.000000 to replace (yes, thats $3-4bucs )

This fuse works to protect the car's ECU and other electrical system in the very event this happens. This fuse is larger rectangular shaped with a clear window from top to allow visual inspection of metal connection piece and can be found in any Discount or advance auto parts shop. You can replace it yourself in 30 seconds one you pop the fuse box cover.
Old 10-26-11, 09:10 PM
Kwolff123
Driver School Candidate

Latest update: technician at Toyota checked all the fuses, one was bad, so the navigation, radio, and air are back on. Yea!!!

But car still will not accelerate and check engine and check vsc are still on. He put in the code to reset it, but they keep coming back on. So,....
Old 10-27-11, 09:00 AM
Ay-nako
Stop the Copy!

Received 112 Likes on 52 Posts

Latest update: technician at Toyota checked all the fuses, one was bad, so the navigation, radio, and air are back on. Yea!!!

But car still will not accelerate and check engine and check vsc are still on. He put in the code to reset it, but they keep coming back on. So,....
Same thing happen to my uncle's LS bring it to Lexus not toyota, I understand same tools etc but we've all gone through it.. they'll most likely charge you a diag fee of 1/2 or 1 full hour plus parts of what has to be done.. when you starting bringing it everywhere but the dealer you WILL spend more money then bringing it striaght to them!!
Old 10-29-11, 03:40 PM
stone_free
Driver School Candidate

I see this pretty often since im a Service advisor for a local Toyota dealership.Alotta times its the tow guys cross jumping it and in some cases the owners cross jump it unknowingly.

The main fuse block (located mostly on the drivers front side) gets blown setting off all three lights.Vehicle will not acclerate beyond certain point or even move for that matter.One of those fuses is for the alternator that gets blown out.

Typically you isolate that issue, address the fuse block(which is still somewhat of a ***** to take out without taking out the whole thing) and put it back together.

Most of the time(and i mean majority) that should be it, however in certain cases if the Malfunction indicator light is still on, with a DTC code for something that is still operational, it is likely that the main ECM(computer) is fried already which can prove to be expensive

Hope it helps and you get things taken care of.

Frankie

(P.S take it to Lexus unless you know somebody at Toyota who is a tech since we can all access the same information that Lexus can

Last edited by stone_free; 10-30-11 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-30-11, 11:57 AM
Kwolff123
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Frankie. This info is encouraging. We had a Toyota tech come to our house to test all the fuses, which is why we didn't go to Lexus. But it seems as though of next step will be getting it towed to Lexus.
Old 11-08-11, 08:49 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any update?
Old 11-08-11, 09:00 PM
Kwolff123
Driver School Candidate

Yes, we took it in and there were blown fuses and relays (whatever those are). HUGE sigh of relief! $200 later we were back on the road. Hopefully a mistake that won't be made again. Just glad he did it and not me!
Old 11-08-11, 09:17 PM
Cartune
Lexus Test Driver

glad to hear, 200 is not bad.
Old 11-09-11, 02:57 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

... Just glad he did it and not me!
Ah yes. If us guys make a mistake like that, it's never mentioned again. However, if our wives make that mistake, it's story fodder for years.

Glad your car is working OK again - and the incident will never be mentioned again.
Old 11-21-11, 12:29 AM
Stretchp2
Rookie

Originally Posted by DNC
Sorry to hear that. Please post results when you find out the issue. I am sure I can speak for everyone when I say we would like to know the outcome.
You REALLY should get a multi-meter ($10.00-$15.00) and test all your fuses this will eliminate you from having to take all of them out. I can almost guarantee you have only blown a couple fuses. Check the box under the hood and the one to the left of the gas ped

Last edited by Stretchp2; 11-21-11 at 12:34 AM.

Quick Reply: My husband screwed up and I'm afraid we are going to have to pay. HELP!