LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Are yellow fog light dated

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 07:16 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

I have both yellow HID fogs and DRL, so I'm bias on the yellow. My option is that yellow actually stands out more in an head on situation than the white.
Old 10-28-11, 05:03 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Jsteezy87
does anybody haveany pics of the yellow fogs? i was thinking about doing this to mine but i also thought about pink/purple hids just to be a little different. plus i think pink/purple on black looks really good imo. heres a pic to show what im kinda talking about just so i dont get flame'd for saying pink/purple lol

I think that looks pretty cool. I'd call it light purple rather than pink.
Old 10-28-11, 05:54 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha, yeah i think jun or gato had this or still does have something similar to this,, you should check them out ^ ^ ^

in ur MD area performance tinting in columbia is the best tint shop around... i was referred to them and have since referred over 20 others that i personally know have gone... i need to go ask them for a cut cuz i have sent 20 there personally and i have never heard a bad word back. they did mines over 3 years ago and it is still the best tint job i've ever had. i got the carbon 14% on my 05 LS430UL.

for fog installation i had the stereo shop a couple doors down from the tint shop do my installation (name is audio connections, columbia md). i work semi close to that shopping center is why i went there. i bought the 3000k or 3200k i forget kit off of hid extra for like $50, they are great about replacing parts for free with free shipping. i had the stereo shop install the lights and a bypass to run the fogs seperately from the headlights for like $150 or something. i know the installation is somewhat simple but i wanted that piece of mind that they would work after the install and this shop will give you that piece of mind. also after the install now i am able to replace all parts on my own, i just didn't want to run the initial wires and what not. if you go to the stereo shop tell em bronson recommended them
Old 10-28-11, 08:21 AM
B43088
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanx i appericate the feedback, im going to call over there and check things out and also run over to the audio shop for the fogs. im not to far from columbia. im not sure u heard of a place called hp racing on ritchie hwy in glen burnie but they gave me an estimate of 285 for non metalic tints 35% i think carbon u knowing about columbia thats why i stuck wit 35 cause they will pull you over quick, and 150 for 3000k fog light buld. i was also looking for led license plate buld but they didnt have it. yea i love what u did to ur car i seen ur pics on a thread, u did a hell of a job, my will turn out like that someday.
Old 10-30-11, 04:47 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by B43088
Hey ls owners I was thinking of getting yellow fog lights, but I'm not sure if they would look dated on my ls so I'm just looking for u guys opinions. Thanks. Also I would love to post pics but I'm not sure how I still consider myself to be a newbie to this forum
In my mind, yellow fogs are sharp.

Old 10-30-11, 06:06 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i too have yellow on my ES300 fog light and i really like it..so what i have when turn on lights are :
- blueish HID
- white turn signals/parking lights
-yellow fog lights

good combo
Old 10-30-11, 06:22 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't feel yellow fog light are outdated... more the yellow lenses. I switched my MDX fogs to yellow bulbs and I like the better/different look. as for 'cutting through' better or not, yes physically yellow is dimmer light, but because it doesn't create as much glare, then 'technically' perception is better visibility.
Old 10-31-11, 06:07 AM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Stu
In my mind, yellow fogs are sharp.

My eyes are bleeding from all the dirt on your LS...
Old 10-31-11, 04:06 PM
Frankg2
Driver

I realize this is a fog light discussion but... quick question re; OEM headlights. Why is it the low beams are HID with bright white light, and the high beams are (or appear to be) non HID, and are yellowish in comparison to the low beams. They work well, but I prefer the white light. Is it possible to replace these with HID? Thanks.
Old 10-31-11, 05:53 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

The headlight (low beam) is the projector type and the high beam is just a normal 9005 (I think) bulb so its old school technology.
Old 10-31-11, 07:39 PM
Frankg2
Driver

Originally Posted by sojah
The headlight (low beam) is the projector type and the high beam is just a normal 9005 (I think) bulb so its old school technology.
Thanks Sojah, that's what I figured... but what I'm trying to figure out is if it's possible to upgrade the high beam to HID? I already know what I can (and what I plan to do) with my fogs, but I've not seen any discussion yet on what can be done with the headlights. Thanks.
Old 11-01-11, 08:23 AM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankg2
Thanks Sojah, that's what I figured... but what I'm trying to figure out is if it's possible to upgrade the high beam to HID? I already know what I can (and what I plan to do) with my fogs, but I've not seen any discussion yet on what can be done with the headlights. Thanks.
The DRL is the highbeam also. I'm running yellow HID in the DRL/Highbeam now. There are dual HID kit in which it has both low and high so you retain that function. I did not do that with my setup and only went with a singe function HID.
Old 11-01-11, 09:22 AM
Frankg2
Driver

Originally Posted by airtime
The DRL is the highbeam also. I'm running yellow HID in the DRL/Highbeam now. There are dual HID kit in which it has both low and high so you retain that function. I did not do that with my setup and only went with a singe function HID.
Thanks airtime. At the risk of exposing my ignorance... how are you running HID in the DRL/Highbeam? I thought HID did not support the low voltage DRL function, that it's either off or on? Or are there special HID bulbs/ballasts that support this?

Also (again, more ignorance.. but I am learning).. I thought projector headlamps involved a large, cats eye type lens? If so, then neither lamp on my 2002 UL has a projector lamp. Am I missing something? Thanks..
Old 11-01-11, 10:00 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

i know that you can just pull the 9005 bulb out of the drl spot and replace with a 9005 HID kit, so the new hid bulbs would be 9005 and would fit in the same OEM spot,, just like how airtime, myself, and a few others have done with our fogs (but those are 9006 i think). you just have to have the hid kit installed properly so that it draws its current through the ballast via the cars battery.

i have thought about doing hid in drl spot but would like to have the dual functionality like airtime spoke of and am not sure which kit supports this or how tricky it would be.