LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Are yellow fog light dated

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-11, 09:09 AM
B43088
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are yellow fog light dated

Hey ls owners I was thinking of getting yellow fog lights, but I'm not sure if they would look dated on my ls so I'm just looking for u guys opinions. Thanks. Also I would love to post pics but I'm not sure how I still consider myself to be a newbie to this forum
Old 10-27-11, 09:11 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

IMO, not dated, just a lot of hondas have them atm, but they'll be classic
Old 10-27-11, 09:13 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Speaking of yellow, are headlinghts in France all still yellow?
Old 10-27-11, 09:43 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

as far as i last heard they are still required to have a yellow light either headlight or foglight or something like that ^ ^ ^

i don't think its dated at all but i have them so i may be biased. mines actually look almost greenish and are 3200k hid's i believe. i think it gives off an awesome contrast and would argue that i almost see better with them this color... being able to see more and to have others be able to distinguish that i am approaching better to me is not dated
Old 10-27-11, 10:15 AM
LEXUSGUY03
Driver School Candidate

I believe the yellow cuts though actual fog a lot better than halogen for example. They would then be actual fog lights that are functional instead of for looks
Old 10-27-11, 11:02 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

personally I think they still look good, as long as it is a high-end bright yellow. they would definately work good on the black, white, cypress or Briarwood colored LS's.
Old 10-27-11, 11:18 AM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

If your going to upgrade your fogs I'd suggest to get HID's with a 2500K bulb the 3k still has a hint of white in it.
Old 10-27-11, 01:08 PM
Milan
Pole Position

With the stock 4300K headlights, the halogen fogs have a much warmer look then the headlamps. I think that alone gives it a nice contrast negating any benefit of yellow fogs but that's just my opinion.
Old 10-27-11, 01:54 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Yellow fog lights do not "cut through" any better than a higher temperature light. It's just that yellow light reflects less light when hitting fog.

I personally love the look, and I have 3000K HID fog lights.
Old 10-27-11, 02:56 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

I don't thinl ther dated the 3000k hids looks sweet with factory headlights. I'm running them and will never go back. Curently I'm running yellow halo in my fogs one hid bulb blew. The halo are golden yellow while the hids are a greenish yellow like sojah said.
Old 10-27-11, 02:56 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

The use of yellow color for fog lights does not improve visibility in fog. The belief that a yellow fog light provides better penetration in fog is based on a misinterpretation of physical laws governing light. Colors of light at shorter wavelengths disperse more easily in interactions with small particles. Longer wavelength colors like yellow or red are less subject to this effect. While this holds true for truly small particles on an atomic/molecular scale, it is not true for objects the size of individual fog droplets (being relatively massive). So for practical purposes any color light is going to penetrate fog about the same. Also of note that in some cases yellow light is produced by putting a filter in front of a "white" color bulb, and in this situation especially a "yellow" fog light is actually just filtered white light and will produce less light than the plain white bulb. And any light with a filter in front of it reduces the emission of light, and therefore could not boost its power to cut through fog.

For fog lights what makes them penetrate is to have them mounted and aimed low - simply because fog tends to hover a couple of feet above the road surface.
Old 10-27-11, 03:00 PM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

I just swapped out my OEM fog lights for the yellow fog lights. I like the contrast off the HID headlights and I have Moonlight Pearl exterior. I dont think it"s dated, I swapped out b/c I really like the look and I really never see anyone with yellow fogs in my area. Go for it.
Old 10-27-11, 03:25 PM
B43088
Rookie

From reading everyone thoughts, I'm going for it I always thought it would look nice just wanted some thoughts about it. I'll be getting tints in 2 weeks or less so I think im just going to have them do the tints and 3000k fogs also. If anyone knows of a good shop in md around glen burnie area could u list the shop. Thanx everyone
Old 10-27-11, 03:41 PM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by B43088
From reading everyone thoughts, I'm going for it I always thought it would look nice just wanted some thoughts about it. I'll be getting tints in 2 weeks or less so I think im just going to have them do the tints and 3000k fogs also. If anyone knows of a good shop in md around glen burnie area could u list the shop. Thanx everyone
U can get the HID's for a good price on ebay and installation will only take u half an hour tops to install urself just need a jack an a phillips screw driver
Old 10-27-11, 04:21 PM
Jsteezy87
Driver School Candidate

does anybody haveany pics of the yellow fogs? i was thinking about doing this to mine but i also thought about pink/purple hids just to be a little different. plus i think pink/purple on black looks really good imo. heres a pic to show what im kinda talking about just so i dont get flame'd for saying pink/purple lol

Quick Reply: Are yellow fog light dated