Solution to Stuck Ignition Switch...[long sharing]

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 03:15 AM
Jam1986
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Solution to Stuck Ignition Switch...[long sharing]

Hi Guys,
I have been suffering from "Stuck Ignition Switch" and have been sharing abit at some previous
pages. Before I was thinking its because the Immobilization mechanism is making the ignition
lock. However I was surprised that my steering is also LOCKED and I just can’t turn to
deactivate the immobilization function. And what a surprise everytime my LS is towed to the
dealer for checking, the technicians said they could easily turned the ignition and start my LS!
The stuck Ignition Switch is, in fact, self-recovered!

2 weeks ago, same thing happen again and my car is towed again. This time no luck for self-recovery.
Special thanks to Twix diagram and I am able to show my technicians.

They spend almost 10 DAYS to locate the Steering Column Stopper.
Security Bot

End like this:

They have tested the Steering Column Stopper, driven by a FAULTY motor inside the metal case.

The grey button is the Column stopper...the f***ing thing keep locking my wheels.

The mechanism of starting the car is, when the ignition switch is pushed and turned, a good
steering column stopper will move into the metal case,(in the same time unlock the steering).
Then my LS could start. Mine LS has a bad motor that sometimes can’t move the stopper
inwards. As a result the ignition is locked, the steering is locked. The main problem causing
my ignition switch couldn’t start is the bad column stopper driven by a bad motor.

How my technicians solved the problem: Push the stopper into the metal case and glue it.

So everytime I start the car, the metal case could always sense my column stopper. Then I can
always start the car. The only disadvantages is that, my LS steering wheel will never lock after I
park my car. But I think thieves would never break-in my LS as my smartkey is still doing good
for the security. Steering wheel lock is just the 2nd line of defense.

In the mean time I still haven’t test drive my car as I am still out of town. But I hope this passage
could be shared among CL members which I think some of you guys are suffering the same
problem as mine. The total fixing cost me around HKD2,500 (approx. USD320). But getting a
new set of column stopper will cost 10x more at Hong Kong dealer. And the only thing I
sacrifice is the steering lock. To my mine it’s really a bargin if everything still work the same.

Really BIG THANKS for Twix and fellow brothers for the brainstorming and I believe LS430 is a
very nice car and fun to drive. Although I have made a few comments before but I always happy
to keep track with you guys.

Full Story:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...nt-turn-2.html

Last edited by Jam1986; 10-28-11 at 03:23 AM.
Old 10-28-11, 05:01 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Excellent information - thanks for sharing the solution. My 2006 ignition switch (with smart key) occasionally won't turn but so far all I need to do is wiggle the steering wheel back and forth a little and it seems to clear the ignition switch being locked.