LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Height sensor or strut failure?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-11, 12:46 PM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
Thanks Stan. It might just be bugging out, I'm in the field (Army guy) now and will check whenever I get back home.
PM me if you ever need a Care Package sent.

Thank you for your service!
Old 11-03-11, 01:15 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't really get some of the fear of the air suspension. I adjusted mine, it's pretty easy, and it has sit dead level all around for over two years.

I think the slightly lower right rear thing is a result of shifting weight. The driver's weight in the driver's seat makes the front left lower slightly and so the right rear (on the diagonal axis) goes up. The air suspension compensates for this small difference. Now the driver gets out AFTER the car is turned off: the car is still adjusted for the driver's weight which is now gone, so the car tilts just a bit rearwards on the FL/RR axis.

Yes it's an expense if it fails, and it's another thing to break, but in return I find the ULs ride noticeably better than non-air cars, all things being equal (rim size, comparable tire quality). There is certainly more of a gliding feeling as the very short transient spikes the suspension experiences are better damped. It's hard to put your finger on exactly what it is but it makes for a more soothing ride. Whether that is worth it, as with any option/package, is an exercise for the reader.
Old 11-03-11, 03:01 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Marklouis
PM me if you ever need a Care Package sent.

Thank you for your service!
I've heard that you can get a nice bottle of Captain Morgan in one of those gallon-sized boxes of Goldfish crackers and the remaining Goldfish provide good padding.
Old 11-03-11, 06:56 PM
airtime
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by thinkin
I don't really get some of the fear of the air suspension. I adjusted mine, it's pretty easy, and it has sit dead level all around for over two years.
That's my thought exactly. If it goes out, I'll get coilovers. Meanwhile, I have the best ride quality Lexus has to offer. As I mentioned from this thread above, it really is easy to adjust if you need to.
Old 11-04-11, 06:26 AM
Marklouis
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I've heard that you can get a nice bottle of Captain Morgan in one of those gallon-sized boxes of Goldfish crackers and the remaining Goldfish provide good padding.
you sir are correct.

i have been sending care packages to soldiers for a year now and get requests for questionable items at times but I do what i can.
Old 11-04-11, 11:37 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone have the part numbers for the little adjustment rods on the front, and also the little little elbow things they screw into at the bottom?

I'm thinking of undoing my 'modification' so I can get the car back to stock and start playing again from there. AT least then I'll know if there is a high sensor problem or if I just wasn't doing it right.
Old 11-04-11, 11:43 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

89406-50070 "SENSOR SUB-ASSEMBLY, HEIGHT CONTROL, FRONT (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE)"
89408-50060 "SENSOR SUB-ASSEMBLY, HEIGHT CONTROL, REAR (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE)"

You find the parts via http://lexus.sewellparts.com - go to Sedans, select your model and year, then go to Electrical -> Height Control and/or Modulated Suspension
Old 11-04-11, 12:11 PM
jimxms2
Rookie

Originally Posted by StanVanDam
89406-50070 "SENSOR SUB-ASSEMBLY, HEIGHT CONTROL, FRONT (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE)"
89408-50060 "SENSOR SUB-ASSEMBLY, HEIGHT CONTROL, REAR (LH - LEFT / DRIVER SIDE)"

You find the parts via http://lexus.sewellparts.com - go to Sedans, select your model and year, then go to Electrical -> Height Control and/or Modulated Suspension
Thanks man, but wtf are they smoking. I only want the long threaded rod that rusted and they want me to buy a whole assembly for $400??
Old 11-07-11, 03:05 AM
jimxms2
Rookie

OK I'm getting more and more convinced that one of my struts has failed/is failing.

Over the weekend I re-adjusted the height again, measured it all perfectly and left it for the night. The next day I came out only to find it leaning again so I did a little test...

I disconnected the rods from the height sensors and put the sensors in the 'up' position so that the car would keep pumping air into the struts until they were as high as they could go.

After a few minutes the left side of the car had a arch gap of about 12", whereas the right side of the car was only 5-6". I could hear the compressor (or whatever it is) still trying to increase the height of the strut but it wasn't going any higher.

Unless someone tells me otherwise, I'd take this to mean that either the strut is leaking or the pump isn't working properly?
Old 11-07-11, 11:07 AM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

As I mentioned before, moving the sensors outside of their normal range of travel can permanently damage them. Your situation sounds like it could be improper calibration or defective sensors. Considering the high cost of the struts, height sensors, and rod assemblies, it's best to get an accurate diagnosis before replacing any parts.

The sensors can be tested by connecting three 1.5 volt batteries in series with positive connection to terminal 1 and negative connection to terminal 4. Stationary sensor reading should be 2.3 volts, and change between 1 to 4 volts at either end of travel.

When the computer uses incorrect or out-of-range sensor readings, it could very well activate the compressor and run it continuously to try to achieve what it thinks is the proper height, even if the proper height is already achieved or exceeded.

If you've done all the troubleshooting you can, it's time to take it to a Lexus dealership so they can connect it to Techstream, modulate each strut individually, check the sensors and see what the suspension computer is trying to do, and they can check the air lines and struts for leaks. It shouldn't take more than an hour of labor for this diagnostic.
Old 11-07-11, 04:36 PM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by jimxms2
Over the weekend I re-adjusted the height again, measured it all perfectly and left it for the night. The next day I came out only to find it leaning again so I did a little test...
Not sure if you tried but if you had it all measured and good and it leaned overnight, before you adjust, start the engine and let it level itself for a few minutes.

You might have a slow leak in the bag?
Old 11-08-11, 01:22 PM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've got an issue. I had my car on the datasystems controller and all was working well, but since it got cold out here in Ga (low 40's is cold here) my air ride seems to have quit on me. I disconnected the data system controller, put it back factory and still nothing. The driver side front is sitting full, and the other 3 are not so full. I am also getting the "AFS OFF" flash. What could be my isuue....HELP!!!
Old 11-08-11, 08:20 PM
airtime
Racer

Originally Posted by ultm8mind
I've got an issue. I had my car on the datasystems controller and all was working well, but since it got cold out here in Ga (low 40's is cold here) my air ride seems to have quit on me. I disconnected the data system controller, put it back factory and still nothing. The driver side front is sitting full, and the other 3 are not so full. I am also getting the "AFS OFF" flash. What could be my isuue....HELP!!!
AFS is related to your headlight auto leveling which also relates to the height sensor. could be one your driver front side is "bad". Many possible solutions from resetting the ECU to replacing the sensor, etc. Do a search for AFS OFF and you may find your solution.
Old 01-02-12, 08:19 AM
BRL430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

StanVanDam

Would you happen to know if it's possible to replace the LS430 air struts with after market air struts given the height sensors and dampeners on the car? There is a company in Mesa, AZ (airbagit) that will make an after market air strut for the LS430, but they are not equipped to add or modify to accommodate the factory Lexus system with sensors. Cost at airbagit for a set of 4 air struts for the LS430 is the same as for a 1 strut replacement at Lexus ($1,500). At 150k miles my second strut relaxed (leaking) and needs replacement. Am I headed down a rat hole with the after market replacements or is it doable?
Old 01-06-12, 11:59 AM
Teasy010
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jimxms2
Shortly after purchasing my 2005 LS430, I noticed that it was sitting wonky on the driveway. So I did a bit of digging around on these forums and found that the height could be adjusted by using the rods behind the wheels to adjust the height of the sensors.

As the rods looked rusted i sprayed them with some plusgas to lube them up a bit. Unfortunately though when I tried to undo the nuts they just stripped the threads and ended up spinning on the spot. Only option was to grind the nuts off and cut the rods out.

I then replaced the rods with a standard piece of threaded rod (which meant I had to re-tap one of the joints as it was reverse threaded), but no matter it worked.

The problem still existed though. With both rods set to the same height, one side of the car would be much higher than the other.

So I started cutting one of the rods to make it smaller, to the point where eventually both sides of the car sat level despite one rod being much shorter than the other.

Everything was fine until yesterday when I came to the car only to find it sitting completely wonky again!!

WTH is wrong Do I have a problem with the air struts or is one of the little height sensors bad?
Hey bro, let me know if you find a solution because after i lowered my car, the vsc and abs light came on. i was told to adjust the sensors.