LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Thanksgiving Giveaway: Wheels and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-11, 01:43 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I'm glad your pay-it-forward worked out. I'm also glad you didn't mention which brand(s) and how much beer he's bringing over on Friday or I might have had to kick your monkeybutt thread into the classified section.
Pretty sharp Caddyowner. I forgot that this was my second giveaway/trade. The first was for a six pack of recipient's favorite beer. Well no beer this time as I've realized - yet again- that my alcohol tolerance is pitifully low. Couple weeks ago some of the boys took me out for B-day sushi and after a coupla sake shots I was way too red than should be viewed in public or considered healthy. I think I lack a damn drinking gene or something.

Last edited by monkeybutt; 11-24-11 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 02:12 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

[QUOTE=bcorey;6842566]Monkeybutt - thanks for the kind words I've admired BNR34's ride for quite some time as well - are you going to go with the 15 and 25mm spacers too?

You know I was running 15mm F and 25mm R spacers w/ a different set of 18" wheels, but since I switched to the OE wheels I am running 15mm on the rears only.

Funny, it may be my imagination, but it felt like the ride was a bit softer with the spacers. The steering feels more connected w/o the spacers in the front w/ more responsive turn-in. I wonder if anyone else has noticed a difference when using spacers?

Last edited by monkeybutt; 11-24-11 at 07:24 PM.
Old 11-24-11, 06:32 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by monkeybutt
Pretty sharp Caddyowner. I forgot that this was my second giveaway/trade. The first was for a six pack of recipient's favorite beer. Well no beer this time as I've realized - yet again- that my alcohol tolerance is pitifully low. Couple weeks ago some of the boys took me out for B-day sushi and after a coupla sake shots I was way too red than should be viewed in public or considered healthy. I think I lack a damn drinking gene or something.
You give me too much credit - I had no idea. LOL
Old 11-24-11, 11:54 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Okay I have a taker who will conveniently pick up the set on Friday. After talking to him for a bit I realized that it was pics of his white LS that inspired me to set up my crystal parchment ride similarly. I really liked his nice yet practical drop on NF210s and 18" Lexus 5-spokes. A bit more sporty, smooth and still classy. So thanks BNR34. As Caddyowner said it really is a small world.
Originally Posted by bcorey
Monkeybutt - thanks for the kind words I've admired BNR34's ride for quite some time as well - are you going to go with the 15 and 25mm spacers too?

BNR34 - any issues with the spacers at this point? Ride still looks fabulous - somewhat modded with enough touch of the stock look to still look classy -
Wow I am flatter to know someone actually admired my modding style. I am getting old enough now to just appreciate a slightly more aggressive look but retain the OEM wheels. I see it as a mild factory tuned like those OEM sport package on MB/BMW/Audi. I am not a teenager anymore to like those crazy SEMA hellaflush stuff.

bcorey, sorry if I am taking the wheels that you wanted because my timing works out better for John. I hope there is no hard feelings.

Zero issues with the spacers after all these times, 2.5 years and 30k miles so far and the nuts holding the spacers on never even loosen up a bit. As a disclaimer, they do rub just a hair, but really is very minor, only on very hard compression with a heavy load. For anyone who want zero rubbing under all conditions, I recommend 10mm and 20mm.
Old 11-25-11, 12:02 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

You know I was running 15mm F and 25mm R spacers w/ a different set of 18" wheels, but since I switched to the OE wheels I am running 15mm on the rears only.

Funny, it may be my imagination, but it felt like the ride was a bit softer with the spacers. The steering feels more connected w/o the spacers in the front w/ more responsive turn-in. I wonder if anyone else has noticed a difference when using spacers?
I haven't notice any differences on how my car drive with my spacers.

I hope you will be home tomorrow because if you see my car with the 15mm and 25mm spacers, will sure to make you want them. The more aggressive stance is lovely
Old 11-25-11, 12:50 PM
bcorey
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BNR34 - No hard feelings at all I totally understand.

Happy Holidays!
Old 11-25-11, 10:07 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Originally Posted by BNR34
I haven't notice any differences on how my car drive with my spacers.

I hope you will be home tomorrow because if you see my car with the 15mm and 25mm spacers, will sure to make you want them. The more aggressive stance is lovely
Sorry I missed you today. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, then be flattered 'cause I did have on 15 and 25mm spacers. I liked the look, but hate rubbing of any kind so I moved the 15mm to the rear and left it like that. It looks good to me now and no rubbing so I'm happy and done...er except for the search for a thicker than sport package rear sway bar. The next holy grail.

PS. Thanks for the brews.
Old 11-25-11, 10:18 PM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice of you John!
Old 11-26-11, 07:43 AM
bcorey
Rookie

John - do you have any pics of your car with the rear 15mm?

Thanks
Old 11-26-11, 10:03 AM
teberhardt
Driver School Candidate

HI
If you still have these, I would love to have them. I am in Upland Ca and can pick them up. I have a 2002 LS430 with the stock 16's.

Email me at teberhardt@yahoo.com

I am retired so I have the time to come get them. I will bring my LS430. I also have a GS400.

Sweet cars!
Old 11-26-11, 10:58 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Originally Posted by bcorey
John - do you have any pics of your car with the rear 15mm?

Thanks
Sorry I'm too unsophisticated/resistant to learn how to post pics as yet. My stereos are tube systems from the 60s. Neither do I text message. Heck I don't even carry my phone 98% of the time. But there is hope for the next generation as my 2yr old has her own Ipad and can download and play her videos and games by herself.

The 15mm does seem to fill out the rear well a bit.
But I dunno. I just came back from the LA Auto Show and got my fill of lowered hellaflushed, stretched tire tuner cars in the aftermarket section. They look cool and I can appreciate the work/trial of accomplishing the stance, but I think I could go the other way and be happy looking 'unflushed' knowing I have enough suspension compliance to keep me comfy and planted in real world driving.

Saying that I do like my modest drop/soft sprung drop and 15mm on the rear. No downside in comfort or handling from stock as far as I can tell. Bcorey I know 15mm are a safe bet for the rear. As BNR34 states 25mm might rub w/ a heavy load, but you might be safe w/ 20mm.
Old 11-26-11, 10:59 PM
monkeybutt
Rookie

Originally Posted by teberhardt
HI
If you still have these, I would love to have them. I am in Upland Ca and can pick them up. I have a 2002 LS430 with the stock 16's.

Email me at teberhardt@yahoo.com

I am retired so I have the time to come get them. I will bring my LS430. I also have a GS400.

Sweet cars!
Sorry, these are gone.