LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Changed Hub Assembly but still thumping & weird front sound - video added

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-11, 07:06 PM
kosmo101
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changed Hub Assembly but still thumping & weird front sound - video added

Ok so for the last few days Ive heard an awful thumping around 20 mph...in the front end right side. Sounds like a flat.. but not good. Swapped front wheel to back on passenger side. No change..so ordered a hub assembly and got it in today. Drove it ..its sounds better but still hearing something when driving.

So I jacked up driver side... and before I did anything.. spun the front wheel... i hear a weird sound. Sounds like in every revolution of the wheel it is rubbing. I cannot tell where/why. I took a video of it below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddrGlGF8aow

I then went back to the passenger side...jacked it up and spun the wheel. same thing.. just an odd sound. I swear the rim is bent as I watch it spin.. it sure seems to dip at one point and thats when I hear a sound.

Im really looking for ideas/thoughts here. Ive never done breaks again.. could it be warped rotors? If so how would i tell?

Hope the video with sound sheds some light.

Any ideas would be much appreciated..

thanks Kevin
Old 12-02-11, 09:39 PM
Ezay
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its your brake dust shield rubbing against your rotor.bent it apart and its gone...
Old 12-02-11, 11:22 PM
radohanno
Rookie

Originally Posted by kosmo101
Ok so for the last few days Ive heard an awful thumping around 20 mph...in the front end right side. Sounds like a flat.. but not good. Swapped front wheel to back on passenger side. No change..so ordered a hub assembly and got it in today. Drove it ..its sounds better but still hearing something when driving.

So I jacked up driver side... and before I did anything.. spun the front wheel... i hear a weird sound. Sounds like in every revolution of the wheel it is rubbing. I cannot tell where/why. I took a video of it below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddrGlGF8aow

I then went back to the passenger side...jacked it up and spun the wheel. same thing.. just an odd sound. I swear the rim is bent as I watch it spin.. it sure seems to dip at one point and thats when I hear a sound.

Im really looking for ideas/thoughts here. Ive never done breaks again.. could it be warped rotors? If so how would i tell?

Hope the video with sound sheds some light.

Any ideas would be much appreciated..

thanks Kevin
Pokud translate z češtiny do angličtiny tak možnosti jsou.
1.Zadřený pístek brzdy tak že obložení není rovnoběžné s třmenem.
2. Ochraný plech za kotoučem může být ohnutý a dře o disk.
3.Ráfek může dřít o plech
3. Vadné ložisko
Takže sundat disk a znovu odskoušet .pokud to bude dělat tak ráfkem to není..
Měl jsem stejnou závadu na Opel omega a byl to jen ohnutý plech za kotoučem brzdy a dělal velký hluk.Snad to bude jedna z možností.
Old 12-03-11, 03:43 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Google translate suggestion: When typing, take care to place punctuation and spaces correctly.

These sentences will translate correctly. The period is up against the end of the first sentence with a following space.

These sentences will not translate correctly.The spaces between sentences are missing.At least that's what happens when translating from Czech to English .It also doesn't translate correctly if the space comes before the period, but it seems to work better when going from English to Czech.
Old 12-03-11, 07:18 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

So I have to redo my original text for this person to read... ?

I am going to try the brake shield thing... i think maybe the rim is bent and hits the shield... makes sense..and worth a shot. No wondering if i even needed wheel bearing??
Old 12-03-11, 07:37 AM
radohanno
Rookie

Talking

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Google translate suggestion: When typing, take care to place punctuation and spaces correctly.

These sentences will translate correctly. The period is up against the end of the first sentence with a following space.

These sentences will not translate correctly.The spaces between sentences are missing.At least that's what happens when translating from Czech to English .It also doesn't translate correctly if the space comes before the period, but it seems to work better when going from English to Czech.
OK. Zatím se učím. Je pro mě taká náročné pochopit překlad z angličtiny do češtiny.Budu se snažit a vše bude OK
Old 12-03-11, 07:43 AM
kosmo101
Rookie

ok i havent had coffee yet but i popped this into translator and read between the lines..

If you translate from Czech into English so the possibilities are.
1.Zadřený piston brake lining so that it is parallel to the yoke.
Second Protection plate for blade can be bent and rub against the disc.
3.Ráfek can rub a sheet
Third defective bearings
So, remove the disc and re odskoušet. If it will do so the rim is not ..
I had the same defect on the Opel Omega and it was just a bent sheet metal disc brakes and did a great hluk.Snad it will be one of the options.
Old 12-03-11, 09:33 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kosmo101
So I have to redo my original text for this person to read... ?
No, I was directing those comments to our Czech friend.