LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

2002 ls430 with 167k miles...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-12, 12:25 AM
430rider
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 ls430 with 167k miles...

Tomorrow Im looking at 2002 ls430 UL with 167k miles on it.
Is it too high of a mileage for it? Seller is asking $12k.
What things should I look for? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-14-12, 03:59 AM
Milan
Pole Position

One thing to keep an eye on are the air struts. With that many miles they probably don't have much life left in them. Replacing them with OEM struts cost around $1,000 per corner. Most people end up going with a coil-over set up or aftermarket air when the OEM struts blow.

I wouldn't worry about the miles. I bought my '02 last year with 155,000 miles on the odometer and am currently almost up to 167k miles myself. I have had no issues save for a check engine light that my cats may be on their way out. Still no ill effects from that. With that many miles, the timing belt should have been changed at least once, more preferably twice. Make sure you find out when the next timing belt is due because the service runs about $1,000.

I've seen UL's with less miles go for that or less. Unless the car is in top top shape with stacks of papers documenting its history, I would haggle inthe price a bit.
Old 01-14-12, 04:04 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Price/mileage seem high. Check that everything works - especially the air suspension. (Maybe a UL owner can post a definitive way to check this aside from raising / lowering.) If the car looks good after the test drive, get the VIN and go somewhere else with a computer. Enter the VIN as your car on lexus.com and review the service history.

If I were shopping for a LS with that many miles, I'd go for a Premium trim level rather than UL so there were be fewer expensive things ready to break. I'd want the best service history with lowest miles I could afford.
Old 01-14-12, 05:53 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

For a 12k outlay I'd insist on getting the car inspected by Lexus BEFORE you buy it - but only if you are really serious about buying it. A full inspection before buying will be the best $100 bucks you have ever spent. If the seller refuses you need to walk away.
Old 01-14-12, 09:17 AM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 232 Posts

I agree that with that many miles on an UL, the price seems to be a little high. It seems that the UL values goes down faster than a custom or base model when the miles are considerably over 100+. Again. an extremely thorough inspection is highly recommended and you should certainly have room for negotiations. Good luck.
Old 01-14-12, 10:05 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

The price is a little high in my opinion. I'd offer $10,000 for it.
Old 01-14-12, 11:39 AM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 55 Posts

I think the price and mileage are high. Take a look through the used cars on CL , cars.com and Autotrader. You will see cars with just over 100k going for 13 to 14k.

I have an '02 UL bought a year ago with 50k for 17k. You have to remember that while the engines and transmissions will go over 300k with the proper maintenance, the remainder of the car is subject to normal wear and tear.

I took my '97 LS400 to about 225k before it was involved in an accident. The seats begin to get worn and uncomfortable. Door dings and roadwear begin to add up. Tires lose air pressure because of residue built up on wheel surfaces.

I am not trying to scare you, I love my current and prior LS. I just think if you look a little harder, you can do better. A little extra spent now in buying a well maintained car can save you money later.
Old 01-14-12, 12:23 PM
430rider
Rookie

Wow, many good points and advices. Thanks guys... well, I looked at it this morning and I fell in love. First of all, its white on black with all the bells and whistles. Few downsides: needs timing belt replaced as it was changed only ones, radar cruise does not work but regular does, needs new tires and tabs soon. Otherwise its in decent shape for the miles and year. I am going to offer $10,500 and see what is going to happen. I will keep you updated. Thanks again and be safe.
Old 01-14-12, 02:29 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by 430rider
Wow, many good points and advices. Thanks guys... well, I looked at it this morning and I fell in love. First of all, its white on black with all the bells and whistles. Few downsides: needs timing belt replaced as it was changed only ones, radar cruise does not work but regular does, needs new tires and tabs soon. Otherwise its in decent shape for the miles and year. I am going to offer $10,500 and see what is going to happen. I will keep you updated. Thanks again and be safe.
White on black is extremely rare! If you can get the timing belt done cheaply as well as any other maintenance, $10,500 wouldn't be a bad deal.
Old 01-14-12, 05:07 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

I believe timing belt intervals are every 90K miles. If the belt was changed on time at 90K, you should be good for another 13K miles.
Old 01-14-12, 06:30 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My advice is never fall in love with a car, remain unbiased. Like Jab said pay for an inspection. toss 1 k in for the t belt and 8 hundred for the tires and unless it has an service history you can track it can become a love hate relationship with the goodies on a UL(I think LS's over 125k are hard to sell).Unless ya know how many owners, where was it serviced, carfax, a good body shop inspection "love" sounds like a possible high maintenence blonde ya took home from a tavern.

Like Cad said you might just want to look for a Premium as you seem to be on a tight budget and you get more bang for the buck. I bet ya can get a 04 with 130K for 12,500 ish. I certainly wish ya the best!
Old 01-15-12, 05:59 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

There is a 02 UL it looks like in very good shape, green but in this price range I would not worry about the color, with 102k on it listed for 14k I would look at for you if you like. Les Stumpf ford in Appleton, just south Green bay stock 320284A it's 2 exits down and I bnow the Lexus dealer if ya need a new car check. Can anyone drag this over wish my kid was up.
Old 01-15-12, 08:30 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

The car was open. First UL I ever sat in. Cypress green, beige/bone, gray ash wood. Lighter never been used, all 4 chromes near perfect same as the body. All seat foam, carpets, interior very good, headliner spotless ran my finger all over the door jams, hood, trunk, gas door no signs of tape edge. + 50 percent left on Kumho Platinum tires. No door dings, a couple minute scratches. Trunk pristine. Moderate chips either side of grill, and on 3 of 4 front park sensors. Car sat perfectly level but.....no sign of t belt sticker on clean engine compartment(fluids not bad). Coin tray did not slide, fake chrome ring around shifter bubbled. All 4 seats worked. Manual either absent or inside, sometimes you can poach a previous owner out of the manual.

That cooler is really a gimic glad I got the pass thru for my skiis.

Been on lot since 11-4-11 Zero deductible warrantee for 3k miles, orig sticker 15,999 personal use.

Fly to MKE or Outagamie I'll pick ya up shack at my crib, road trip or... prolly 1k to get it to Washington. Wisconsin winters prolly though the chrome was not flaked or pitted on rims and HWY rural miles. I'm Off to Lambeau.
Old 01-15-12, 09:26 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by warminwisc
... I'm Off to Lambeau.
Oh yeah, rub it in.

The car sounds nice. I think in 02, the green was called Mystic Sea Opalescent. I think my LX is a bit darker - River Rock Green. I must be getting old, I like green cars. Either that, or my latent Packer fan is emerging. I do hope the Pack wins today.
Old 01-17-12, 09:53 PM
430rider
Rookie

Thanks Warminwisc,
Plans have changed, now looking for lx470
this forum and users are the best!

Quick Reply: 2002 ls430 with 167k miles...