LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Purchased 05 LS 430

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-12, 08:55 AM
Ricky
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey

Congrats on the purchase looks mint. I just picked up an 05 UL black on black not too long ago as well. Are you from San Jose? If so, nice to see another LS430 around. Planning and modifications of any kind?

Rick
Old 02-22-12, 12:12 PM
SJLS430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ricky
Congrats on the purchase looks mint. I just picked up an 05 UL black on black not too long ago as well. Are you from San Jose? If so, nice to see another LS430 around. Planning and modifications of any kind?

Rick
Yes, I am in San Jose. It is nice to know that this forum has local members. I am not planning on doing any modifications to this vehicle. I had a 01 GS 430 that I did modify by lowering it and putting bigger wheels. The GS looked sweet but I later regreted the modification. I felt every bump on the road and I would hear many rattles inside the car. Do you have any pictures of your LS430?

Javier
Old 02-23-12, 08:37 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Congrats on your purchase. One nice thing about the LS is the suspension components are aluminum, so no rust on them...only on the steel parts.

Whether or not you use the parking sensors has no bearing on their longevity. Mine are always off, but a few times each year, I turn them on just to see if the sensors are still working. The car spent the first 4 yrs of its life in the CA and AZ deserts. Then I moved to N NM (cold) and eventhough the car is garaged, within a couple of months, two parking sensors on the DS failed (when I tested them). I tested the sensors 3 or 4 times last year and recently (nearly one year later), a different sensor failed (PS corner). So far since Nov 2009 when I bought it (21K mi), I've had the following done (currently 45K mi):

-summer 2011-front AC blower failed in 117F (luckily I have a rear blower, or I would have died from heat on the drive to the dealer!): $550 (warranty).

-nov 2011-radar cruise control ECU failure (actually, software bug, as '05 is the first year with PCS radar...common in many of the ultras...it appears after you've driven w/ cruise on for a couple hundred miles)...$800 (warranty).

-Dec 2011-two front bumper driver's side parking sensors failed...$550 (warranty).

-Feb 2012-front passenger side corner parking sensor fails...$450 (warranty).

OTOH, on my wife's 2003 LX470 we bought in Jan 06 and currently has 106K miles (no parking sensors, no tire sensors):

-Jan 06-VGRS steering ECU replaced (software bug, first year it was introduced)-$800 (warranty).

-summer 10-rear top stoplight lens cracked due to heat...common problem in AZ, but not covered by warranty...$350.

-Oct 10-steering recall (nothing wrong, just a precautionary recall by Toyota due to the recent spat of other recalls). No idea of the cost.

-Dec 11-rubber steering column-firewall boot torn (by the steering recall "fix," since it started squealing on the rubber right after the recall work)...dealer replaced it for free.

As you can see, the warranty comes in handy. In retrospect, I have to say the only "unreliable" thing on the LS430 is the parking sensors (and this would apply to all vehicles with them, meaning all Lexus vehicles in the current lineup). Also, ECU's will likely malfunction if it's the first year a new "feature" is introduced (PCS radar on the LS, VGRS steering on the LX).

Last edited by V8_Fan; 02-23-12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 02-23-12, 10:39 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Congrats on your LS.

Betty is also silver / black and has 72K miles. Only problem so far was trunk lid shocks got weak and were replaced.

UL package has all the features and I use them all. None have broken.

Google street views found Betty and took this fuzzy pix:

Old 02-23-12, 10:46 PM
TerrySmith
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SJLS430
... This LS has so many electronic gizmos. I have turned off my parking assist and only turn it on if I need help parking. I hope by doing this my parking sensors will last a while. I noticed when I place the car in reverse my mirrors tilt down. I have placed the mirror controller in the center position so when I back up my mirrors do not tilt down and cause wear. I know as the car ages parts that are electric will go out eventually.
I guess I don't understand this. You don't use these functions so they won't wear out and break. But the worst thing that happens if they break is you have have to shut them off and not use them. ??

Why not use them until they break and if they ever do break, then shut them off and stop using them (or get them fixed). Or are you saving this car for someone in the future?
Old 02-24-12, 04:38 AM
Finerwood
Driver School Candidate

Nice looking ride, like the black interior.
Old 02-24-12, 01:38 PM
SJLS430
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TerrySmith
I guess I don't understand this. You don't use these functions so they won't wear out and break. But the worst thing that happens if they break is you have have to shut them off and not use them. ??

Why not use them until they break and if they ever do break, then shut them off and stop using them (or get them fixed). Or are you saving this car for someone in the future?
Hi Terry, I really do not need the help of the park assist when I park at home or work. If I drive to San Francisco and have to park in a tight space I will turn on the park assist. Nice LS 430 by the way.
Old 02-28-12, 01:54 PM
Ricky
Rookie

Hey Javier,

Sorry no pictures at the moment, too cold.
Old 02-28-12, 02:02 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by TerrySmith

I share your philosophy. I bought the car to use and enjoy, not trying to save it for someone else. I also fix something when it's failed. If I didn't want it, I wouldn't have bought it.
Old 02-28-12, 02:50 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with Terry... don't use something because you're afraid it might break? Do you guys buy TV and don't use the remote in fear it might break, so you get up manually to change channels?
Old 02-28-12, 06:29 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spitting image of my car, but for my MRR rims. You sir have good taste
Old 03-02-12, 06:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SJLS430
Thanks for the reply. I will not de-activate the tilt and telescope wheel. If it goes out, I will just get the motors replaced. I had good luck with my 01 GS430 tilt/telescope.
I don't plan on turning mine off either; it's a cool feature (I love how it's absolutely silent), a nice "wow" gizmo, and a Lexus trademark. I'm pretty sure they were the first with the 90 LS.

And besides, a friend I work with has a 92 SC400 with 300k--that's right--300k miles and I made it a point to ask her tonight if she's ever had the tilt/telescoping motors go out. They haven't.

The car is old and beaten up but she's had very few issues with it. The only problem I know of is the A/C doesn't work. Still on the original engine and tranny....at 300k miles. Love it!
Old 03-03-12, 06:52 AM
mywong23
Driver

nice looking garage, too !!!!
Old 03-04-12, 05:16 PM
chris81964
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same color combination. My car was a new York car too. A few scratches and serious curb rash on the rims. Enjoy I have put over 60k miles on mine. I enjoy driving it.
Old 03-05-12, 03:46 PM
smm3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the purchase. Love the silver with those wheels. One of the best color combos imo...

Quick Reply: Purchased 05 LS 430