LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Talk me out of it. Please.

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-12, 02:08 PM
Caydoc
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Talk me out of it. Please.

2004 LS430, 22000 mi., love of my life (although obviously infrequent) showroom condition. I'm just tired of such a big car, and truth be known, at 75 years old, it's not as easy to handle, park, etc. as it used to be. Can I get some advice about holding on to it, for whatever reason, or selling it? I really don't need the money, but none of my kids seem too interested in "The Limo". I drive it weekly, sort of an obligation, then put it in the garage with the battery maintainer. I honestly hate to see all my hard work, detailing with dental floss and Q-tips, go to a stranger. Please tell me what to do!
Old 03-08-12, 02:46 PM
pibob
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should sell the car to me. I will take good care of the 430 for you. Email: pibobb@gmail.com with your phone number and I will call you.
Thanks for keeping the 430 in such great condition and mileage.
Old 03-08-12, 02:51 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Im a relatively young, single guy (37). I have 3 cars. The LS430, the GX470 I just bought and a Honda S2000, AP2. IVe always been a sportscar guy and love my S2000, but last year I dont think I even put 800 miles on the Stook. I think about selling it all of the time. IT too has very low miles and really just gets detailed, taken good care of, and driven occasionally on perfect top down days. Thing is, when it does get driven, I remember why I love it so much and remember why I think Ill never sell it. But those days are so few that I also often think about selling it. But one trip around the block and Im in love again, and I too dont really need the $$. And since I paid cash for the car when I bought it anyway, it isnt costing me much to keep. So it keeps getting a reprieve.

So my question to you is this: when you do drive it, do you think to yourself "no way, I love this thing way too much to ever sell it", or do you drive it out of obligation but not really derive much pleasure from it anymore? IF its the latter, then its time to sell. If even on the rare occasion you do drive it it still puts a huge grin on your face and you remember why you loved the car in the first place, then its still a keeper.
Old 03-08-12, 02:53 PM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ weather is warming up real soon, you will soon remember why you still love the top down.
Old 03-08-12, 02:54 PM
Enigma869
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take it off your hands, depending on the color combination. It would look great in the garage next to my LS 460 L

John
Old 03-08-12, 02:57 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by GR6RR
^ weather is warming up real soon, you will soon remember why you still love the top down.
My friend, we barely even had a winter this year. IT hit 74 here today, 64 yesterday and its supposed to be winter! Yesterday alone I saw a Bentley CGT, Audi R8 and 2 Gallardos, all convertibles, near my neighborhood cruising around top down. I would have too but of course since the weather is so nice, I just happen to have bronchitis and the flu
Old 03-08-12, 02:57 PM
honeygee2
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I met a guy last year about this time in a parking lot of a restaurant. I noticed his ls 430 instantly and started asking him about it. It was an 01 with 8000 miles on it...yes thats right 8000 miles. I offered to buy it on the spot and he told me it was his deceased wife's car and the sentimental value was why he was keeping it. It had every option that lexus had in 01. Beautiful car. I gave him my phone number and told him to call me first. He also was in his early 70's.

You do what you think is best for your own piece of mind. If you are going to be using a car you surely couldn't get a better one. Good luck in whatever you do.
Old 03-08-12, 02:58 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Originally Posted by honeygee2
I met a guy last year about this time in a parking lot of a restaurant. I noticed his ls 430 instantly and started asking him about it. It was an 01 with 8000 miles on it...yes thats right 8000 miles. I offered to buy it on the spot and he told me it was his deceased wife's car and the sentimental value was why he was keeping it. It had every option that lexus had in 01. Beautiful car. I gave him my phone number and told him to call me first. He also was in his early 70's.

You do what you think is best for your own piece of mind. If you are going to be using a car you surely couldn't get a better one. Good luck in whatever you do.
Wait, Im confused. Was it an 01 or was it a beautiful car?
Old 03-08-12, 03:35 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Caydoc
2004 LS430, 22000 mi., love of my life (although obviously infrequent) showroom condition. I'm just tired of such a big car, and truth be known, at 75 years old, it's not as easy to handle, park, etc. as it used to be. Can I get some advice about holding on to it, for whatever reason, or selling it? I really don't need the money, but none of my kids seem too interested in "The Limo". I drive it weekly, sort of an obligation, then put it in the garage with the battery maintainer. I honestly hate to see all my hard work, detailing with dental floss and Q-tips, go to a stranger. Please tell me what to do!
That's a tough question - would you replace it with something else or do you just not need it any longer?

If you truly don't need it, you should sell it privately on this board and on something like autotrader.com but be sure to ask for high retail for it and hold firm on that price. Getting a firm high retail price is the only way that the value of your meticulous care will go to someone that recognizes the value of a mint condition car. Tell people not to even come look at it if they intend to offer you less that asking price. It will take longer to sell but if it is truly mint you will get a good price - these cars are highly sought after in the used car market - its becoming well known that they are the best of the best.

I am going to have to make same decision on mine soon - I will likely sell it and buy an 08 SC430 as I really don;t need a big car. But I also hate the idea of giving my beautiful pristine LS to anybody else (even for a great price) because I am pretty sure I could not find another in the same shape. .
Old 03-08-12, 04:34 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Many of us have these thoughts occasionally. I've also been toying with replacing the LS with a SC. When I was at the Lexus dealer today to get a key programmed for my LX, I had a good look at the 2013 GS350 AWD luxury package. What an awesome car as I don't really need the interior and trunk room of the LS430 anymore. At a MSRP of $61K, I could probably trade the LS, Prius, and $20K and drive it home. Very, very tempting...
Old 03-08-12, 05:44 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont know why anyone would keep any car that does not meet their needs.
Based on what you posted, you dont drive it much, so if I were you I'd sell it. If you need to have a car, buy a smaller one thats easier for you to drive and park.

I'd keep the LS until you were certain you liked the smaller car more, because you'd hate to sell the LS and regret it.
Old 03-08-12, 08:11 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

If you are only 75 years old, only drive the car because you feel "obligated to", it's hard to handle, and you don't know what to do, then may I suggest a wheel chair. You have got to be pulling our legs!
Old 03-08-12, 10:23 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Thinking...

Originally Posted by jayclapp
If you are only 75 years old, only drive the car because you feel "obligated to", it's hard to handle, and you don't know what to do, then may I suggest a wheel chair. You have got to be pulling our legs!
At first I was thinking same thing... but hey, first post, could be someone that just found us and asking a legit question. Until we find out otherwise, welcome to the forum CayDoc.
Old 03-09-12, 04:34 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i live in an entire neighborhood full of older folks, in fact for a couple years my wife and i were no question the youngest at least in our half of the neighborhood. well i've definitely noticed the majority of the folks in my neighborhood have traded in their big boat sedans for much smaller vehicles like the lex IS, BMW 3 series (lots), prius's, a ton of audi a4's, a couple acuras, a couple infiniti m sedans, and a huge number of smaller new benz sedans.

there is only one other LS430 left in my neighborhood when there used to be like 5 or 6 at one point. i've definitely noticed with my own eyes that when you get older you prefer driving something smaller and more responsive...

but you still have an awesome car and it will be hard to replace
Old 03-09-12, 04:42 AM
Finerwood
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure I would want to drive a smaller car, but with gas going up it’s tempting. Is there a small car that would ride as nice as the LS?
If your having trouble parking it in tight spaces in the parking lots, just park out away from the store and walk. I hear everyone saying that exercising is good for you?

Quick Reply: Talk me out of it. Please.