LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Trying to decide between 02 and 05 & ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-12, 09:12 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to decide between 02 and 05 & ????

I don't know enough about these cars to make an intelligent (at least half intelligent) decision.
Plus there's money involved of course.
Initially I started looking at 430 without knowing what are the different trims, but the nav. always looked kind of useless to me. Then I looked at some of them without the nav. and I agree with someone here saying it looks too Toyota-like dash without it. Although many Toyotas do have the nav. nowadays. My main reason (two) was the fact that it should be less messy to replace the stereo with something else (i must have an mp3 input for my phone) and there should be less electronics to go bad.
Found these two cars
02 Base - no options at all - beautiful car seems to be well maintained 120k , but I am not done investigating it
05 seems to be a CL based on the list of options the owner gave me and my limited knowledge
have not seeing the car yet, the owner maintained it himself a second owner has 98k - a somewhat a drawback - no proof of the maint.
The difference is about 5k in price but I am also concerned with replacing the stereo on the 02 because although it's easier, I have a hard time imagining another stereo not looking ugly or uglier than any Toyota would.
So, am I better off looking at any year but with the Nav and just deal with it. I think there are write ups on replacing the CD with another stereo instead of removing the original. Although I really don't want to loose the steering stereo controls. I know I am been picky , but that's what I really prefer to end up with. An MP3 input for the phone and the steering controls.
Thanks for your suggestions.
Forgot to mention that the very main reason I started looking at these fine automobiles was the ride quality (i.e. softness of the ride to me)
and I think that 04 already had 225/55 17" tires on it compare to a 16" on the 01-03. I know that is could be absolutely superficial difference in the ride, but it does matter to me. So if the ride on o5 even slightly harsher, it's out for me.
Thanks again.

Last edited by nmikmik; 03-10-12 at 09:33 PM. Reason: lack of memory
Old 03-11-12, 04:56 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I think the best choice given what you've said would be an 04-06 with premium trim with SmartAccess (heated & cooled seats, parking sensors, no nav). With 04-06, you get the updated front & rear styling, 6 speed trans, and availability of SmartAccess keyless entry & ignition. The premium trim level will provide a blank canvas for you to install whatever infotainment solution you desire.

As for wheel size, I find the 17" tires to ride quite softly while the 18" tires ride a bit stiffer.

Given the age and relatively low production numbers of these cars, I allocated 4 months for my search process. I was lucking to find the car I wanted (albeit with a few flaws & 1900 miles away) after only 1 month. Good luck in your search.
Old 03-11-12, 06:33 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're sure of replacing the stereo system and backup camera is not a lot to you I would go with 02. For me although the navigation is not great, the back up camera was a must for me. I have the CL trim and love it
Test drive both and find out
Old 03-11-12, 07:10 AM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

It really not hard to add an MP3 or ipod adapter to the various Toyota radios in the LS. There are a couple of different devices marketed to do this that are simple to install and work pretty well.

If your budget allows, I would go for an 04-06 version for reasons already stated. Buying an 02 when its already a 10 yo car...seems pretty long in the tooth.

Now in terms of getting an LS with Nav/ ML system or just getting the premium version (without Nav/ML) is a personal user choice - depends on what is most important and also aesthetics, perception, etc -so is a compromise situation however you make that choice...no right answer ....its an imperfect world.
Old 03-11-12, 07:31 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I drove both the 04 and 05 I would not call one harsher over the other. The 18's steer a little crisper and may be a bit tighter if you will. I actually preferred the 05 but the 04 was my "right" choice. Save your cash on the stereo upgrade(sounds like the 02 would be no more than 11-12 grand with gas as it is these days) as Jab said there are ways to add adapters. No service history no deal.
Old 03-11-12, 07:33 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Remember when you start changing stereos I would say it detracts from resale value unless done really well.
Old 03-11-12, 08:09 AM
nmikmik
Rookie

Default thanks

Thank you for your replies.

I am not sure of anything at this point. I'd really prefer to find something local, but if going outside of California can save me significantly (that I can't see happening any time soon) i'd sure do that.

I can see now that 05 actually has an 18" on it, so unless I can replace those with 16" or 17"
- this car is most likely out.
Would 16" wheels fit the 05? If anyone has experience with swapping the wheels, would be great to her. Also, can the tire itself be up-sized to something with a thicker sidewall without jeopardizing the wheel well?
I did find some adapter you are talking about Jabberwock, it does seem like a good solution without having to mess with the stereo.
Thanks!
Old 03-11-12, 10:04 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls430

Another thing that affects ride not just wheel size is the tires on it.I purchased an 06 with 18s but it had michelin primacys and the ride was smoother than the 18s with bridgestone turanzas.Although the turanzas are 255/40 as compared with the michelins at original 245/45s:
Old 03-11-12, 11:06 AM
nmikmik
Rookie

No doubt about it,
I actually had pretty good luck with GoodYear Comfort thread on my Lincoln, so no matter what vehicle i'd get, i most likely will change to that tire. If not right away, when the time comes.
Old 03-11-12, 11:37 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default 16

Originally Posted by nmikmik
I can see now that 05 actually has an 18" on it, so unless I can replace those with 16" or 17"
- this car is most likely out.
Would 16" wheels fit the 05? If anyone has experience with swapping the wheels, would be great to her. Also, can the tire itself be up-sized to something with a thicker sidewall without jeopardizing the wheel well?

Thanks!
The wheels across the 430 all fit each other. I have 02 16" on my '04 now and use to run 17" The ride on 16 is definitely softer.
There are some previous Gen LS400 wheels that fit too. There are threads on this topic.
Old 03-11-12, 12:36 PM
Muti007
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As far as I concerned, the ONLY LS430 to even consider was the 04-06. Its just so much better looking that to me, theyre night and day. Now to some that dont know cars at all, theyre hard to tell apart, to me the difference is too big to make the earlier cars even an option. Then theres all the upgrades you get like the HIDs, LED tails, 6 speed auto, better infotainment etc.
Old 03-12-12, 07:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Minor but significant

Originally Posted by Muti007
As far as I concerned, the ONLY LS430 to even consider was the 04-06. Its just so much better looking that to me, theyre night and day. Now to some that dont know cars at all, theyre hard to tell apart, to me the difference is too big to make the earlier cars even an option.
Exactly... my wife can't tell a 430 from the previous 400, but to me, the rectangular foglights over tear drop and the LED tail to the incan. in earlier model were enough for me on the looks.

All the mechanical enhancements (including backup camera) were then gravy and sealed the deal.
Old 03-12-12, 11:42 AM
Quipper
Driver

Exclamation It's Always Good to Check Consumer Reports

While the LS is the most reliable model of any make in the world, there are slight variations in reliability year to year amongst LS's. Consumer Reports has a nice graph that shows problem spots on each model. The 2002 model year had lots of problems with its stereo system (40% less reliable than the average cars'). There are no comparable major problems with the 2005....
Old 03-12-12, 01:27 PM
Quipper
Driver

Arrow

Here is the actual chart from Consumer Reports--interesting, huh?

Last edited by caddyowner; 03-12-12 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Copyrighted material removed.
Old 03-12-12, 05:07 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Thanks a lot for sharing that!

I subscribes to the consumer reports, but it never even cross my mind to check, Lexus is the most reliable yada, yada....

Quick Reply: Trying to decide between 02 and 05 & ????