LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-12, 11:23 PM
JSDND1980
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnMD
Here are some pics of the faux antenna. I won't call it useless as it covers up the stub from the useless one.

To quote Kansas from a previous post. "Maybe Toyota just didn't want to delete the antenna from North American LS430's for the last two model years (05-06) - I can't tell you why it was kept."

So I still ponder why they put useless antennas on these $65k cars -- but I'm not obsessed with it. I'm sure a couple Lexus engineers scratched their heads too. No harm no foul. It' s great car!!
So from whom did you get the faux antenna? Beatsonic USA ?? I also have an '04 LS430 in Black Onyx. Thanks!
Old 08-28-13, 08:58 AM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
But I will continue to ponder why people do not read the posts in a thread before responding. ;-)

In an earlier post in this thread, I mentioned the Bluetooth Complementary kit that was sold and installed by Lexus dealers in many countries. The kit used the roof top antenna which both improved phone reception and eliminated the phone interferring with the car audio system.

The installation manual for the LS430 version of this kit - in 15 languages including English - is on the Lexus Europe service website. The manual PDF is too big to post but here is the cover page and page 9 which shows the cradle baseplate and the coax antenna cable leading from it. Interchangable phone cradles that snap into the baseplate are available for many popular phones including iphone.

A similar Bluetooth Complementary Kit is available for the LS460/600 but it comes with an antenna that sticks on the front windshield due to the LS460 not having a built-in phone antenna.
The next to last step in this manual shows a connection being made in the trunk (attached). Do you suppose that is the antenna wire which is attached on the other end up at the center console? Maybe just a power connection?
Attached Thumbnails Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'-page-14.jpg  
Old 08-28-13, 11:19 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What roof antena?

Old 08-28-13, 11:24 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

HiloDB1 FTW!!!!! what a knee slapper...
Old 12-27-13, 11:17 AM
danielmew
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 04 LS430 with the ML radio option and the NAV option. If the roof antenna is not for radio reception, what can I do to improve my radio reception?
Old 10-25-16, 07:52 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Sorry to revive a thread from a few years ago, but I have a dilemma: the PO caused the screw on tip to break off. Now, the shaft is imbedded into the base.

Any suggestions? I bought a new antenna and I'll probably remove the thread and super-glue the tip on the base...
Old 10-25-16, 09:56 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

I assume you are doing this for appearance only, as the roof antenna is not for the radio. (It was for the now discontinued Lexus Link system.)

You could install threaded rod into the base and screw on the antenna.
Old 10-25-16, 10:01 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I've removed the antenna because it rips holes in car covers.
Old 10-25-16, 10:36 AM
Daspyda
Lead Lap

Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom57
I assume you are doing this for appearance only, as the roof antenna is not for the radio. (It was for the now discontinued Lexus Link system.)

You could install threaded rod into the base and screw on the antenna.
Yes, for appearance only.

There's the broken off shaft in the base; I cannot insert anything into the base because there's no hole.
Old 10-25-16, 11:37 AM
Tom57
Pole Position

Received 67 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Daspyda
Yes, for appearance only.

There's the broken off shaft in the base; I cannot insert anything into the base because there's no hole.
I understand, drill it out, use tap and insert threaded rod. If you haven't already, I'd first try extracting the old broken off shaft with a bolt extractor. I bet that would work cause the shaft isn't on very tight. If you carefully drill a small pilot hole, then reverse the drill bit in the hole (counter-clockwise) and it may even come out. Be sure to use PB Blaster or similar to penetrate old shank threads.

Last edited by Tom57; 10-25-16 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-25-16, 11:17 PM
Salsaman06
Driver School Candidate

I know this thread is mostly old now but since someone just posted and brought it back up, I have to take exception to all the posts that say this antenna is just for Lexus Link. That is absolutely a false statement. While the Lexus Link antenna is in that black whip antenna thing on the roof, it also contains an antenna for the radio. The LS uses a diversity antenna system. - meaning there are two antennas for the radio. One is in the rear windshield and the other is in that thing on the roof.

This antenna diversity setup is not unique. My '95 Town Car has antenna diversity. One is in the the rear windshield, the other is in the front windshield.
Old 10-26-16, 04:44 AM
iToaster
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Salsaman06
I know this thread is mostly old now but since someone just posted and brought it back up, I have to take exception to all the posts that say this antenna is just for Lexus Link. That is absolutely a false statement. While the Lexus Link antenna is in that black whip antenna thing on the roof, it also contains an antenna for the radio. The LS uses a diversity antenna system. - meaning there are two antennas for the radio. One is in the rear windshield and the other is in that thing on the roof.

This antenna diversity setup is not unique. My '95 Town Car has antenna diversity. One is in the the rear windshield, the other is in the front windshield.
Have you ever looked at the car? They're both in the rear windshield. The antenna on the roof is tuned for the cellphone spectrum and wouldn't be ideal for AM/FM radio.
Old 10-26-16, 02:24 PM
TTBomB
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

My 2 cents...
I have a 2005 UL.
I removed the stock factory roof antenna and replaced it with a Sirius Antenna.
It was done a long time ago but I believe the shop did them me that my radio antenna would be removed by doing what I did.
I can tell you that my stock radio reception is now sh#t! So with that in mind, I would say that the roof antenna has something to do with the radio reception.
Old 10-26-16, 02:43 PM
Salsaman06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TTBomB
My 2 cents...
I have a 2005 UL.
I removed the stock factory roof antenna and replaced it with a Sirius Antenna.
It was done a long time ago but I believe the shop did them me that my radio antenna would be removed by doing what I did.
I can tell you that my stock radio reception is now sh#t! So with that in mind, I would say that the roof antenna has something to do with the radio reception.
Yes, this is exactly what can happen by removing that antenna.
Old 10-26-16, 03:05 PM
Salsaman06
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by iToaster
Have you ever looked at the car? They're both in the rear windshield. The antenna on the roof is tuned for the cellphone spectrum and wouldn't be ideal for AM/FM radio.
As a matter of fact I have. I owned a 2003 UL (bought new) and I installed an aftermarket XM radio *myself*. At the time, the only option was to use a XM radio that transmitted on a FM frequency in order to get it to play into the car's sound system. That method absolutely sucks if you rely on "over the air" transmission. So I decided to SPLICE into the antenna coax cable in order to connect the XM radio directly so that it transmitted directly into the tuner (thereby reducing/eliminating outside interference). I decided to splice as close to the tuner as possible. When I located the tuner (on the right side of the trunk down from the ML amp) imagine my surprise to find not one but two coax cables. I looked up what and where they go via the Lexus wiring diagrams I had for the LS at the time. And then I traced them to verify. So yes, I do know this aspect of the 2003 LS very well.

Now, I will not go so far as to say this applies to other model years. I can only vouch for the 2003 UL which is what I have experience with. But I would find it highly unlikely Lexus only did this in one model year - and even more unlikely they would put a Lexus Link-only antenna on *every* LS knowing it would only apply to less than 10% of the cars in any particular year.

Also, IIRC, there are actually 2 antennas inside that black thing on the roof - the one for the radio and the one for the cell phone. i.e. they do not share the same "antenna" but are co-located in the same housing. I may still have my wiring diagrams somewhere that showed that separation. If I do, I will post here.

Last edited by Salsaman06; 10-26-16 at 07:32 PM.

Quick Reply: Top roof antenna replacement/upgrade? Ls430 03'