LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

ML Deteriorated. Only dash tweeters left original.

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-12, 05:06 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It's VERY hard, and even harder to reinstall...
Old 04-10-12, 11:21 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
So has anyone actually tried or was successful in removing the dash?
Yes i have removed the tweeters and i know one other person local to me who has removed their dash. It is very time consuming and not recommended if you are not very mechanically inclined.
Old 04-14-12, 01:27 AM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I have been succesful in removing the tweeters from my 430 and you can do it the right way which would be to remove the dash or do it my way and that was to pry the grill then you can remove two tweeter screws then this is where it sucks! you have to break the stock tweeter plastic housing and i did this by using a pair of wire cutters and snapping the hard plastic and grabbing every tool i can think of to break the plastic up until you can slip the magnet out. It took me 3 hours. Now that i think it over i should have just grabbed my dremel and cut small pieces of the tweeter out and remove it that way. Im sure it would of only taken an hour. After you remove the tweeter you can run your own wires or use the stocks. Its not difficult but very time consuming.
The following 3 users liked this post by Turtlespd:
Arterium (06-21-23), David40446 (11-16-21), dhaney85 (06-12-21)
Old 04-14-12, 08:56 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Great input ! Finally. Man, you've got cojones. Respect.
Tell us, what kind of replacement tweeters you used ? Mounting ?
Thanks
The following users liked this post:
David40446 (11-16-21)
Old 04-14-12, 12:04 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Turtlespd
I have been succesful in removing the tweeters from my 430 and you can do it the right way which would be to remove the dash or do it my way and that was to pry the grill then you can remove two tweeter screws then this is where it sucks! you have to break the stock tweeter plastic housing and i did this by using a pair of wire cutters and snapping the hard plastic and grabbing every tool i can think of to break the plastic up until you can slip the magnet out. It took me 3 hours. Now that i think it over i should have just grabbed my dremel and cut small pieces of the tweeter out and remove it that way. Im sure it would of only taken an hour. After you remove the tweeter you can run your own wires or use the stocks. Its not difficult but very time consuming.
You do realize that the stock tweeter is not just a tweeter but a housing that holds a tweeter in front of a midrange right? and that you probably damaged the midrange using your method to remove the tweeter
Old 04-14-12, 05:24 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Hilo, if you look at this thread you will realize its not a coaxial but a tweeter/horn set up usually associated with sound quality. The top section is not a tweeter but a funnel/horn to direct sound better.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...nd-part-s.html

Pics speak a 1000 words. Dont ask me to hook you up i wont do it again, lol

After chopping all the plastic off i prepped the stock tweeter, used plastic epoxy and glued the tweeter to my grill. From the top view all you can see is tweeter and looks perfect. I was able to glue the old tweeter back and matched the angle so that the sound would bounce properly off the glass.
Attached Thumbnails ML Deteriorated. Only dash tweeters left original.-img_2540_7964.jpg   ML Deteriorated. Only dash tweeters left original.-img_2538_7962.jpg  
Arterium (06-07-23)
Old 04-14-12, 09:16 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Hilo, if you look at this thread you will realize its not a coaxial but a tweeter/horn set up usually associated with sound quality. The top section is not a tweeter but a funnel/horn to direct sound better.

After chopping all the plastic off i prepped the stock tweeter, used plastic epoxy and glued the tweeter to my grill. From the top view all you can see is tweeter and looks perfect. I was able to glue the old tweeter back and matched the angle so that the sound would bounce properly off the glass.
You dont have to "hook me up" I removed my speakers the correct way by removing the dash. Your speakers may not be the same as mine as my ML system uses a midrange/tweeter setup. Also a horn setup is not necessarily associated with sound quality.

Last edited by HiloDB1; 04-14-12 at 09:21 PM.
Old 04-14-12, 09:25 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Im guessing this is the "horn/tweeter" portion that you removed like I did.

Here is the other speaker that was behind the tweeter when I removed the whole assembly.

Old 04-15-12, 04:16 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

Hilo

Your tweeter is differnt that mines thats for sure. I dont know why its diff but that doesnt matter. What matters is people on here are able to remove their tweeters without removing the dash. Who wants to do it the correct way , when i can do it the quick way. How many hours is it to remove/replace a dash....imo not worth it when i can hack my tweeter be done in a hour or less . If you have the skills and time to R/R a dash, great! I dont have that time, money or patience when the outcome is exactly the same.

Those of us who are removing the tweeter is pretty much doing away with the whole system, not just replacing. If it was a replacement issue yes you need to remove the dash if you want an OEM set up. That being said i would still remove the whole coaxial in the dash and just throw a tweeter in there. The only change that i was able to distinguish in the sound quality was a little more clearer and not as bright and thats all i really wanted.

IMO i feel the horn/funnel set up does help SQ, it funnels sound waves to travel in the correct location. So your saying the tweeter you posted above with the cone doesnt need to have a cone and it would sound as good if it was a tweeter and a huge gap then speaker grill. I personally dont enjoy my music that way.

There is nothing wrong with a clean install and i respect the fact you took your dash off to install a tweeter, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with my method, a little crude but effective.
Arterium (06-21-23)
Old 04-16-12, 01:01 AM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

To each his own. I will continue to do things correctly and advocate to others to do the same.

Last edited by HiloDB1; 04-16-12 at 01:17 AM.
Old 04-16-12, 05:39 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

so if you had to do it all over again you would spend your whole weekend removing your dash to install two speakers?
Old 04-16-12, 08:52 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Nvm you will never get it. Im done with the back and forth with you.

Plain and simple if you want to remove/replace your stock ML tweeter/mid located in your dash the proper/correct/right way to do it is to remove the dash.

/thread.

Last edited by HiloDB1; 04-16-12 at 09:09 PM.
Old 04-16-12, 11:21 PM
Turtlespd
Driver School Candidate

You are 100% correct !! (if you want to remove/replace your stock speakers with OEM replacement). There is absolutely no other way to replace an OEM tweeter/ mid in your dash.

However the topic is NOT R/R OEM tweeters....but a desperate need to replace stock tweeter without wasting weekend..I think i offered a great solution and your entitled to believe its incorrect, ill advised, a mistake, a hack job, what ever its all good but i assure you the finished product will be 100% the same and i can live with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Turtlespd:
Arterium (06-21-23), dhaney85 (06-12-21)
Old 07-26-21, 08:07 PM
dhaney85
8th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone know if you can just pop the screen and destroy/unplug the tweeter on drivers side? I just want the rattling to stop and don't feel like dropping more $ on updating the system would rather not hear it at all then the blown tweeter
Biggies430 (10-18-21)
Old 11-16-21, 05:35 PM
David40446
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What tweeters are you using in the picture oem ml?
Arterium (06-21-23)