LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New 2004 LS430 Owner

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-12, 07:45 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2004 LS430 Owner

Hey Guys, I've been a long time reader, and have had quite a few lexus cars so far. Just wanted to introduce myself and ask for some help. ive read hundreds of threads on here already.

I just picked up a black 2004 LS430 32k miles...navi /sport suspension/18inch chrome wheels on it. The interior is in great shape, but the outside was a bit rough(dozens of stone chips...terrible swirl marks....scratches). Just my luck, less than a week into owning it, someone keyed the car pretty badly, so its in the shop getting its hood, front left fender and rear right fender fixed.

Onto my questions.

1. The rear subwoofer is clearly broken.......that needs to repaired/fixed. I also think one of the front speakers is blown as well, is there anyway to manually test each speaker? or are there any other speakesrs prone to fail, like the rear sub is.

2. The trunk springs dont work......is that something I can do on my own?

3. The tranmission....between 10-20 miles is shifting very akwardly(rough upshift)....ive read these problem mentioned on here.....have others had this fixed? (the transmission/fuel pump recal was done.......as well as the transmission flashed again)

4. HOw do you set up your bluetooth phone?!!! it seems so complicated.

5. I would like to add Satellite radio/ipod connectivity to the car. I know there is lots of threads on this, which i've read. Mentioned vasitech quite a bit......but I want a unit, that can do both. (the car does have a SAT button)

I will post up pictures once the body shop is done.......then its going for a hardcore detail.
Old 04-10-12, 08:44 AM
peteyx
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4. To setup the phone, hit menu, info, add phone.
5. I just ordered a kit from this place; http://replacementradios.com/product...oducts_id=1041
Old 04-10-12, 09:00 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome and congrats. As for the bluetooth, be prepared to have less-than-perfect integration. The system in the LS430 is quite dated and works best with older, basic phones. Once you get the contacts transferred from the phone to the car, you still need to populate the speed-dial buttons from the car directory in order to actually call someone while the car is in motion.
Old 04-10-12, 09:00 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

The trunk struts are an easy cheap fix. Look on ebay for the parts. You can get the pair for about $40 and its a 20 minute job. When I bought my car a few weeks ago I found I receipt from when the previous owner had it done at Lexus and It was well over $200 if I remember right. I've done the struts on many other cars and they are all pretty much the same method used to change them
Old 04-10-12, 10:06 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

nice pick up. but damn an 04 with only 32K miles? with this many problems? mileage sorta don't match the wear, IMO.

GL with repairing them, I'm sure there are tons of info on here to help with your direction.
Old 04-10-12, 10:55 AM
Silkky
Lead Lap

Congrats and welcome!
Old 04-10-12, 07:13 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Originally Posted by peteyx
4. To setup the phone, hit menu, info, add phone.
5. I just ordered a kit from this place; http://replacementradios.com/product...oducts_id=1041
Thank you for that product information. was that something you were able to install yourself? Its probably best I leave it to professional, i have no skills.
Old 04-10-12, 07:16 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
The trunk struts are an easy cheap fix. Look on ebay for the parts. You can get the pair for about $40 and its a 20 minute job. When I bought my car a few weeks ago I found I receipt from when the previous owner had it done at Lexus and It was well over $200 if I remember right. I've done the struts on many other cars and they are all pretty much the same method used to change them
Thank you for the information. I actually called the lexus dealership for a quote. They said about $400 in parts, and $100 in labor. Seemed very steep. I really want to learn to fix do maintenance on my own cars, but I have no ability whatsoever. I will see if my local toyota dealership can order me the parts, what the heck, i'll try and see what I can do. If not...i'll find an indie shop.
Old 04-10-12, 07:22 PM
vinodc
Rookie

Originally Posted by GR6RR
nice pick up. but damn an 04 with only 32K miles? with this many problems? mileage sorta don't match the wear, IMO.

GL with repairing them, I'm sure there are tons of info on here to help with your direction.

Thanks for responding. I literally listed every single problem with the car, its actually in quite good shape. The interior is probably a 9.5 out of 10. Only blemish being driver floor mat. It still smelled new. The rear sub I knew was a common issue plauging Ls430's....and the fix is quite simple, if one is handy.

As for other things, once the body shop fixes her up, i'm taking it to my guy for an interior and exterior detail. He is a bit pricey, but in my opinion, worth every penny. He is complete ocd. He said he needs 3 days for my car. I've seen his work, and the man is beyond talented. He's been doing detailing for over 30years. I paid $20.2k for my car and felt it was a very fair price for its condition and mileage.
Old 04-10-12, 08:45 PM
SJLS430
Driver School Candidate

Vinodc, welcome to the club and congrats on your new LS 430. You will enjoy the LS and you got a good deal.
Old 04-11-12, 08:28 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vinodc
Thank you for the information. I actually called the lexus dealership for a quote. They said about $400 in parts, and $100 in labor. Seemed very steep. I really want to learn to fix do maintenance on my own cars, but I have no ability whatsoever. I will see if my local toyota dealership can order me the parts, what the heck, i'll try and see what I can do. If not...i'll find an indie shop.
Look on ebay, they can be had for $40 or so a set and you don't need much mechanical ability at all to replace them. The ones I replaced on other vehicles were simple. Usually there's a retainer clip on the old ones that you pop off, prop up the trunk with something, remove the old, pop in the new and that's about it. Once you have the new one in your hand while looking at the one you have to replace you will see how easy it looks to be.
Old 04-11-12, 09:04 AM
boilerroom
Driver School Candidate

welcome & congrats!
Old 04-11-12, 10:30 AM
2004TOYO
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vinodc
...The rear sub I knew was a common issue plauging Ls430's....and the fix is quite simple, if one is handy.
PM me. I have an OEM ML sub that I had re-foamed, Its works fine know but I got a re-foamed after I replaced it with a 12ohm JL Audio 8W0
Old 04-16-12, 07:18 AM
peteyx
Rookie

From start to finish, it could have taken maybe 20-30 minutes. But like an idiot, I didn't read the instructions. Apparently, it makes a difference which end of the cable goes where and in what order they are connected. I ordered and will be returning the $40 factory shark fin adaptor. I just used the Sirius magnetic one on the roof. But otherwise, a very simple and easy install. Go for it.
Old 04-17-12, 12:48 PM
smm3
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome and congrats!