LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LF 2005-6 LS430 - BUY Advice? Problem Areas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-12, 08:20 AM
alexander_
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LF 2005-6 LS430 - BUY Advice? Problem Areas?

I have been on here intermittently while looking for an LS430 for the s.o. Well, we are finally close to the decision point and it seems that there are very few major problem areas for me to be aware of (at least when compared to my 7 series BMW). I am planning to avoid the UL due to the air suspension but wouldn't say "NO" to a CL model, even though it has some degree of electro-gadget complexity and pretty much want a navigation equipped model. It seems that decent vehicles are now well priced in the $20-22k range (unless very high or very low miles). I plan to pull up the available dealer service history through the lexus.com "owner link" and to have a pre-sale inspection once I find a good LS430 locally here in Texas. The CPO choice is quite limited for the LS430, so I am likely to be looking mostly at non-CPO, out-of-warranty vehicles with up to 90-100k miles. Is there anything else that I should be looking for in my quest? Any shop/service recommendations in Houston? Anybody use "Clear Choice" Lexus Service on the SW Fwy? Thanks!
Old 05-02-12, 01:10 PM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Lexus.com maintenance records will only have work performed at a Lexus dealership unless the owner has added his own items. Also, the description is quite brief.
Not to say that it is not valuable, but it would also be great to get the original records from the previous owner.
You may also want to get a Carfax, etc. report, and definitely get a pre-sale inspection.
Good luck - they are great cars.
Old 05-02-12, 07:40 PM
Jabberwock

Received 209 Likes on 172 Posts

These are super solid cars if well maintained - but bad maintenance or hidden damage can be hugely expensive so a complete service history and a pre-buy inspection by Lexus are essential. Check all options on the car to make sure they work. Check both mirrors to insure they can adjust mirror and that they retract in and out when parked. Check steering wheel adjustment switch moves the steering wheel in all axis. Check air conditioning works. Make sure TB/water pump has been done if it has 90k on it. Check both seat heaters on high mile cars. Make sure you get at least 3 keys - 2 masters and a valet key - if not make the dealer get you copies before you buy. Make sure tool kit, first aid kit, and the wheel lock key are included with the car. Check to see if rear sunshade goes up and down with no problem. Check the spare tire and that it actually is a Lexus spare for the LS - if the car has been thru the car auction there is no telling the crazy stuff that has been stolen and then replaced with mismatched parts.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 05-02-12 at 07:44 PM.
Old 05-02-12, 08:59 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought an '05 Modern Luxury in Austin and had it shipped to Denver. My experience was: be patient until you find just what you want. I was pretty anxious and almost bought something with problems. Jabberwock is right - check all the little things. Anyone who let the little things go unfixed probably let the big ones go as well. Also, even the little things are costly. That motor to adjust the steering column? $800. I bought a car sight unseen, which I don't think I'd do again, but it worked out fine. Just a bit stressful. I had an independent inspection service look at it in Austin, and then had it shipped. I bought it from a Jeep dealer. I got pretty uncomfortable with the cars on the little "sports car" lots. Had trouble knowing where they came from.

I'd consider going for a base without the Nav if doing it again. The Nav system isn't as good as my iPhone, and it does seem to break sometimes (not mine, but I"ve read about it), and is REALLY pricey to fix. I never actually heard the "base" sound system, tho, and the Nav is required to get the ML sound system.

I got pretty worried about maintenance costs and ended up buying a warranty from a Lexus dealer. Some of them will sell you a warranty when you buy a car from another type of dealer. It was pricey - almost $4g for a 5yr/60k Platinum warranty on a car with 55K miles. I'm really not sure it's worth it -- things can go wrong for quite some time before you get to the $4G total cost. It doesn't include exhaust, brakes, belts, etc, etc. It did give me peace of mind. If, after a year, I don't use it, I'll think about cashing it out. Really helped with those "just bought this car" jitters.

Good luck!
Old 05-02-12, 09:03 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Problems areas to check and be prepared to repair if they occur. (My personal take on it )

Folding mirrors
Automatic adjustment of mirrors
Telescoping steering wheel functions
Subwoofer and for that matter all speakers
Rust & any water damage in past
Audio and other controls from steering wheel
Suspension
Old 05-03-12, 05:59 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Default ls430

I was lucky enough to find an 06 black with saddle custom luxury in Fl.The veh was at a Lexus dealer and had 57k so the car was certified.After learning that extended warr are so expensive I consider myself LUCKY!
Old 05-03-12, 06:31 AM
skassamali
Driver

Alexander - My LS is for sale in Austin. It's on Autotrader and CL. Selling it due to it not being big enough to fit my twins (boys) :-). It's already passed the 3 hour Lexus inspection here at Lexus of Austin and all the issues that Jabbewock describes are not issues on it. Let me know if you'd like more information.
Old 05-03-12, 12:38 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

alredxiii that sounds sweeeeet!! Great color combo -- and Yeah that CPO warranty is worth some $$. Any chance of letting us know what you paid?? ( not to be nosy or anything...)
Old 05-03-12, 01:03 PM
alexander_
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks to everyone

Now I can be a quasi-educated buyer. Is it my imagination, or are the low mileage 2006 LS 430 more costly than the average mileage 2007 LS460? Would anyone venture to compare a late 430 with an early 460? Thanks again.
Old 05-03-12, 03:52 PM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Default ls430

By no means are you being nosey.I paid 27k it is in great shape and I flew over to Tampa and drove it down to San Antonio Tex a small vacation!
Old 05-03-12, 05:04 PM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

Beautiful, alredxii, thanks. Good stuff. Nice to have that long drive to get acquainted. Kind of like a really long first date.....

RE: 430 vs 460 - great question. I know 430 has a great fan base, and some find the 460 a bit smaller feeling inside - but I didn't know that about the price....
Old 05-04-12, 08:36 AM
alexander_
Driver School Candidate

Default Are the air suspensions inthe UL really that bad?

I am looking at lexus cpo and there is a 2006 UL with 58k that appears to be an Ultra Lux by the photos with a list price of $25k.....AND is CPO'd.
I was staying away from the UL due to the air suspension (having had something similar in a BMW, its the "once-bitten, twice shy" approach) - how problematic are the UL, especially the air suspension and what are the out-of warranty options?
Old 05-04-12, 08:42 AM
DocDenver
Driver School Candidate

I'm not familiar with that model but people who have them seem to like them. It was interesting to me when looking at Lexus warranties that there's no price difference between option packages - the UL extended warranty costs the same as the base. Seems like a much better value as those extra options seem really expensive to fix.
Sounds like a fun car. People seem to love the radar cruise and I personally thought those backseat options would make it fun to drive friends and family around. (or to make me happy when I get a chauffeur)
Old 05-04-12, 10:49 AM
alredxiii
Lexus Champion

Default ls430

Go for it with the CPO even if the air suspension goes out they should fix that!
Old 05-04-12, 11:36 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Go for 2006 UL. If it is CPOed so nothing to worry about. Main thing is, Silver/Black rocks. on top of that it is 2006 and UL.
Negotiate the price down and see if dealer can throw in 60K service.

Quick Reply: LF 2005-6 LS430 - BUY Advice? Problem Areas?