LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Temp "slim key" would not get out of the ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-12, 06:05 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temp "slim key" would not get out of the ignition

I just bought an 02 Ls and was going through the manual when a slim temp. looking key fell out of the pouch. I tried it in the ignition & oops - it likes it so much, it would not release the key. Is it a special "Lexus dealer feature" where you have to tow it there, they press a secret button and get the key out. Or I can do something myself. Help! & thanks.
When the key got stuck I herd some king of a servo sound engaging the key, so maybe if I disconnect the battery I would come out? I just don't want to do any more experiments before someone here gives it go.....
Old 05-15-12, 07:15 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

If you are talking about the metal key that is normally inserted in a credit card size plastic card for carrying in a wallet, it is only for opening the doors and is not meant to be used in the ignition as explained in the owners manual.
Old 05-15-12, 08:09 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Well,
I found the second key that is actually designed for ignition and the plastic holder. It's shape looks different that the one I inserted in the ignition. The first key had no holder for it. Hence my assumption it was for both the ignition and the doors.
The question is - what do I do now?
Anyone with the service manual that may be able to shed some light on this issue?
Old 05-16-12, 07:07 AM
nmikmik
Rookie

Default update

Just in case someone is just as dumb as me gets in the same situation.
I sprayed some WD40 into the lock mechanism while the key was still sitting there, wrapped the portion of the key that is extending from the lock with a rag and gave it a good yank. Key reluctantly came out.
I know it's another dumb move on my part, but a dumb move is negative right? So a dumb move following a dumb move is resulting in positive, right? Ok let's leave it at that. I can already see what size of the "can of worms" I am opening
Old 05-16-12, 07:14 AM
user 820442
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nmikmik
I sprayed some WD40 into the lock mechanism while the key was still sitting there, wrapped the portion of the key that is extending from the lock with a rag and gave it a good yank. Key reluctantly came out.
I know it's another dumb move on my part, but a dumb move is negative right? So a dumb move following a dumb move is resulting in positive, right? Ok let's leave it at that. I can already see what size of the "can of worms" I am opening
glad you got it out. The positive move is that you know you will never do that again, so in essence, you are correct.
Old 05-16-12, 05:01 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

This episode is a good reminder that every LS owner should read the owners manual. Not having a manual is not a valid excuse, as you can get a new one from the lexus site just for asking.

This car should command more respect than an iPod or game that you pick up and start trying out things to see how they work. You bought one of the most sophisticated cars in the world, so now it's your turn to put in a little time to learn how to use it.
Old 05-18-12, 01:10 PM
Quipper
Driver

Now, now. You don't sound stupid. Just foolish

Seriously though, I'll take your experience to heart as 'a word to the wise'! Thank you....
Old 05-18-12, 09:39 PM
nmikmik
Rookie

Funny that you mention the owner manual (not that I was intending on reading it before trying the key)
It never mentions the two flat keys, it just says "the key works in every lock". If I would have read this first, I would have assumed "every lock" = "including ignition lock" and still would have tried inserting it there. Lesson learned I guess, now to a better things, like tint
Old 05-19-12, 08:21 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Funny that you mention the owner manual (not that I was intending on reading it before trying the key)
It never mentions the two flat keys, it just says "the key works in every lock". If I would have read this first, I would have assumed "every lock" = "including ignition lock" and still would have tried inserting it there. Lesson learned I guess, now to a better things, like tint
I don't think you read the manual correctly, as it states: "The mechanical flat key works in every lock, but cannot be used to start the engine. As a transponder chip is built in the engine start flat key, you can start the engine only with this key."