LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Blitz Performance parts

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-02, 05:47 PM
harris10101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank u j brady, seems like your really know what you are talking about .Of course this will not be a race car, so getting power at 2500 sounds very good. Of course i am not taking this to the max, because i still want life out of this car, and by the sounds of what u are saying, i expect that this is very possible. I cant wait for the market to open up for this beast (it does a 14.7 quarter mile stock :eek:, for such a big car, not bad) Back to the supercharger and the turbo mix, i wasnt talking about a cam and exhaust driven turbo, but rather a turbo on one end, and a supercharger on the other. Isnt that possible? If it isnt, then a low rpm boost on a turbo isnt bad at all , and a supercharger isnt bad either, i just want this to be a fast car, but still catch a persons eye.
Old 11-12-02, 05:49 PM
harris10101

by the way, what did you mean by this

True, the only system on the market is the SRT and it is only sold as a full on turn-key major rebuild. Maybe they will sell a kit only, low boost form... maybe not... they may not want ANY slow SRT turbos

could you please reword that, thank you
Old 11-13-02, 02:49 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Actually, what I meant was that installing a turbosystem on the stock engine limits the amount of power due to the high stock compression and the cast factory pistons. "slow" being a relative term because the factory assembly should support 500hp reliably meaning low 400rwhp. Lexciting's car is the first one and even with the stock exhaust catalysts and mid pipe parts it is making mid 400's rwhp at a low 11psi. With good exhaust the car would probably pick up 75+hp. At 15psi they are targeting 500rwhp with the STOCK exhaust parts This is really the only confusion I have with SRT. Why they just don't re-engineer this bottleneck and let that engine breath is beyond me. Nevertheless, it has already beaten some powerful performers including the 405hp ZO6 Corvette and a BPU++ Supra twin turbo.

As far as your question about "a turbo on one end and a supercharger on the other"... I am not certain what you are asking but do you realize that your are describing a turbocharger (technically the correct term for which is a turbosupercharger). All turbochargers use a gas turbine to capture the exhaust energy and send that power through a shaft that connects to a compressor for supercharging.
Old 11-18-02, 07:38 AM
harris10101

what i mean is:

Install a supercharger

and seperately install a turbocharger.

will that work
Old 11-18-02, 11:33 AM
JBrady
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally posted by harris10101
what i mean is:

Install a supercharger

and seperately install a turbocharger.

will that work
I could be made to "work" but the question is why? Cost, complexity, weight, and other drawbacks beg the question. I understand that you want the instant boost of a blower with the top end power of a turbo...

A turbosystem can give you everything you want. Low to high end power, quiet operation, and durability. The drawbacks being availability of a system, cost vs. blower, and emissions. Since the turbo replaces the stock manifolds it will effect the exhaust emission certification along with the engine management and intake certification. A blower is easier to certify, cheaper to build, less complex to install and a hellavalot of fun...

I am looking into the possible installation of a blow thru Eaton setup. All the ones used currently are draw thru. I prefer blow through as it would leave the throttle body and intake manifold un-disturbed as well as facilitate intercooling. Turbos will always be my first choice but this should be more practical for someone wanting up to 400rwhp.
Old 11-18-02, 04:36 PM
harris10101

ok i understand now, but with the turbos. doesnt life of the turbo reduce from running at high boost, and a low rpm for it to be ready at?