LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Help me decide...

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-12, 02:05 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think I am going to go for the Ultra. I ca get it for 10500. Good deal?
Old 05-30-12, 03:12 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Ok slight problem. The sound system has no sound. Is this an expensive fix on the ML sound system?
Old 05-30-12, 04:51 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would get a complete and thorough inspection on the car if you are planning on making an offer on it. If they are trying to sell it with something like that wrong, who knows what else can be defective. That alone can be a cheap easy fix or a very expensive difficult fix. Without hearing it you don't even know if any of the speakers or sub are blown.

Is it from a private seller? I've bought many used cars from private sellers and I always take a glance at their house, driveway, garage if its open, other cars they have, etc. to how how they take car of things. I would never by a car from a small used car dealer. I've looked at plenty of them and I can truly say that not one of them were honest about the car they were trying to peddle.
Old 05-30-12, 06:44 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

It is from a private seller that has maintained the car really well. I'm kind of bummed that the high end system doesn't work. Could just be a fuse. It's tricky because it's out of town so I have to travel a half a day just to see it.
Old 05-30-12, 07:22 PM
Salil022
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

When you say that system doesn't work...There could be couple things.

1. Blown Amplifier (You will not get any Sound if this is an issue)
2. When you press FM or AM button on the headunit...Do you see anything in Audio Screen?

Let us know....More than likely it's probably the Amplifier or as simple as Fuse, i really doubt that all speakers all blown out.
Old 05-30-12, 07:36 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Salil022
When you say that system doesn't work...There could be couple things.

1. Blown Amplifier (You will not get any Sound if this is an issue)
2. When you press FM or AM button on the headunit...Do you see anything in Audio Screen?

Let us know....More than likely it's probably the Amplifier or as simple as Fuse, i really doubt that all speakers all blown out.
Audio screens work, just no sound. Is a blown amp an expensive thing? Does it have to be ML amp?
Old 05-31-12, 04:46 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

You mean you are asking all these questions and have not even seen the cars and are going on the word of the sellers. I myself If really interested in the cars would get a history report on service and number of drivers and get a ton of pictures(show me the defects) and a report from the guys mechanic and then only then I would have the car inspected at a Toyota/Lexus dealer then drive. 2 hours 6 hours one way to deal with a car on the word of the owner I am too old to buy into. Usually everybody thinks their car is better than it is. Beware of pictures in the rain and low resolution.

Even 4 hours is say 250 miles at 50 cents a mile to drive a car is 125 bucks. So its a wash as you need to have it inspected anyway which is usually 100 bucks before you drive. People lie about their cars and I ask how many people have looked at the cars and how long they have been for sale(these questions catch them off guard and you usually get a believable answer)

I need receipts and testimony from an unbiased party especially a 12 year old car with over 100 k.
Old 05-31-12, 04:49 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Life is too short to drink cheap beer and always check the date not the pictures on the bottle!
Old 05-31-12, 04:58 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I would think the owner should know why the sound does not work, did ya ask him? Sorry there I go again multiple posts.
Old 05-31-12, 05:10 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Originally Posted by warminwisc
You mean you are asking all these questions and have not even seen the cars and are going on the word of the sellers. I myself If really interested in the cars would get a history report on service and number of drivers and get a ton of pictures(show me the defects) and a report from the guys mechanic and then only then I would have the car inspected at a Toyota/Lexus dealer then drive. 2 hours 6 hours one way to deal with a car on the word of the owner I am too old to buy into. Usually everybody thinks their car is better than it is. Beware of pictures in the rain and low resolution.

Even 4 hours is say 250 miles at 50 cents a mile to drive a car is 125 bucks. So its a wash as you need to have it inspected anyway which is usually 100 bucks before you drive. People lie about their cars and I ask how many people have looked at the cars and how long they have been for sale(these questions catch them off guard and you usually get a believable answer)

I need receipts and testimony from an unbiased party especially a 12 year old car with over 100 k.
I agree, if you haven't seen the car in person yet, don't get too excited about it. Get several pictures sent to you inside and out (like 15 - 20 of them). Not from a distance but up close so you can see details. Ask them to take pictures of any wear and tear, dings, scratches, etc. Let them know that you realize its a 10+ year old car and there will be wear and tear but you want to see everything as much as possible before making the trek to see it in person with cash in hand. If he balks, walk away or bite the bullet and go take a look at it yourself.

Ask a lot of questions, how long have they owned it, IS THE TITLE IN THEIR NAME and if not walk away (you don't want a car from a flipper unless its a great deal and you want to take the risk), do you have receipts for any maint. or parts they put into it, etc. I don't care how good something looks or if someone tells me how good they maintain a car. Without receipts, it doesn't mean a whole lot. Proof of maintenance goes a long long way to help selling a car. I don't care if its a bunch of receipts from oil changes, at least you know that was done.

I consider myself very mechanically inclined (swapped/rebuilt motors, trans, installed timing belts, pumps, elec trouble shooting, body and paint work etc.) so I like to think I know what to look for and what I am willing to risk but there are always surprises. If I didn't know how to do my own work on cars I would be very very picky when buying a used car or make sure I had the cash to pay the price to fix it.
Old 05-31-12, 05:14 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Originally Posted by warminwisc
Life is too short to drink cheap beer and always check the date not the pictures on the bottle!
When I was in Belgium, I actually drank a beer that was 20 years old and yes it still was very carbonated and tasted great. It was a bottle of Chimay. I love Belgium beers.....

Sorry off topic..............
Old 05-31-12, 06:38 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Thanks guys. I have multiple photos of the car showing everything, I have carfax and auto check reports and I am speaking with their mechanic today. I wouldnt even have considered this without receiving these items. I feel good about what I have seen/heard from the seller, enough to be willing to drive hours to verify this. Thanks for all of your help. I am hoping to make a final decision today!
Old 05-31-12, 06:49 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Check out every button to make sure every option works as its supposed to (there are a lot of them on a UL). The tilt and telescopic steering can be an issue on these cars. If it makes noise it needs attention or motors replaced. Without the sound system working its hard to check for blown speakers or sub (very common) unless you take things apart. Make sure the mirror auto fold functions even if you are not going to use it. The amp is needed for the nav system I believe so check that out.

Although some issues are common, some cars never experience them.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old 06-02-12, 08:35 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Thanks. I think I am going to go for the ultra, but now I am freaking out about the air suspension. There is no indication of leaks or sags, but just worried it will go out sooner than later. The car is really great, aside from a blown amp it's in excellent shape. It a few days to finalize......
Old 06-03-12, 07:08 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

At 150k it could go tomorrow or later. Can you handle a 1200 dollar bill? Then another?. How did the inspection go? Are the tires brakes flushes T belt all in order? So far ya have the amp on the list of expenses.

Quick Reply: Help me decide...