LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-16, 04:48 PM
Phippsj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone please post the switch assembly part number.

Thanks,
Old 09-01-16, 05:20 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 239 Posts

Checked my 01 switch with 125,000 miles with 16 years in Florida. I've never used it. It was discolored somewhat but not sticky. So far so good.
Old 08-12-17, 09:20 AM
ChinneeTee
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob04
Pretty easy. Just removed the truck lid liner and unplugged/unbolted the old one. Didn't really have to remove the trunk lid liner completely. Just the right side. Plugged in the new one and bolted it back in, then reattached the trunk lid liner. Done. 30 minutes max. Nice to be able to open my trunk again without fiddling with the keys or going to the switch inside the car. Not sure what happened to my old switch, but it was a melted, gooey mess.

Got the part from sewellparts with the CL discount for only $51.74 plus shipping. Not sure what it would have cost at the dealer to have it replaced, but I'm pretty sure it would have been a lot more than that. The partnership between CL and Sewellparts is a great deal for the members here.
You are correct, not much written on this but very easy. Remove 3 trim buttons, fixed trunk lid handle, but FIRST remove little triangular trim panel rt rear of trunk lid. Trunk liner will not peal back w/o this removed 1st. It has 2 pegs & 2 clip built in; I broke 1 of each but it went back in smoothly. Switch is mounted w/ 2 studs so very easy to replace. Hardest part is clean up after the old switch w/ Goop-Off.
Attached Thumbnails Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-trunk-release-button-1-.jpg   Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-trunk-release-button-2-.jpg   Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-trunk-release-button-3-.jpg   Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-trunk-release-button-5-.jpg   Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-trunk-release-button-4-.jpg  

Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-trunk-release-button-6-.jpg   Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)-trunk-release-button-7-.jpg  
Old 06-22-18, 05:48 PM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts
Question Problem with trunk button

So on my new 04, the trunk button plastic/rubber seems to have been melted. Melted is probably not the right term, but everytime I touch it to open the trunk, the gooey rubber leaves a black residue to my finger. It is soft, maybe not like bubble gum soft, but soft enough I think I can probably peel it off. I have a tape covering it right now just so I can keep my fingers clean. Anyone having this same problem? Can it be replaced? Or do I have to replace the entire locking mechanism (which I am sure not cheap).
Old 06-22-18, 06:07 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Read this thread here: linky
The following users liked this post:
BCT (06-22-18)
Old 10-07-18, 04:45 PM
kenaston99
Driver

Default Anyone know how to remove trunk button?

The trunk button is all melted on my car and is very sticky, does anyone know how to remove it?
Old 10-07-18, 06:01 PM
rkw77080
Lexus Champion

Received 681 Likes on 464 Posts

Does this help?
The following users liked this post:
LSBij (09-06-22)
Old 10-07-18, 06:11 PM
kenaston99
Driver

Yes, thank you!
Old 10-07-18, 06:35 PM
ls430w140
Advanced

Received 163 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by kenaston99
The trunk button is all melted on my car and is very sticky, does anyone know how to remove it?
Sorry but what do you mean by the melted button? In case if it just has some oxidation or residue, I would suggest to use Meguaris Plast-X to completely remove it.
Old 10-07-18, 06:57 PM
kenaston99
Driver

Originally Posted by ls430w140

Sorry but what do you mean by the melted button? In case if it just has some oxidation or residue, I would suggest to use Meguaris Plast-X to completely remove it.
Imagine that you were to take the button out from the mounting in the trunk, throw it in the microwave, and turn it on for 10 minutes. That's what it looks like, it's melted to hell.
Old 10-09-18, 05:36 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

yeah, mine is the same way. i was reading someone else had an issue with their button and in the thread they discussed how the rubberized coating has just deteriorated over time. someone said they removed the coating and covered it with a piece of felt. i just ordered a new switch from amazon (about $44). waiting for it to come in to swap it out.
Old 10-09-18, 11:31 AM
BCT
Advanced

Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by ebxgsxr
yeah, mine is the same way. i was reading someone else had an issue with their button and in the thread they discussed how the rubberized coating has just deteriorated over time. someone said they removed the coating and covered it with a piece of felt. i just ordered a new switch from amazon (about $44). waiting for it to come in to swap it out.
I removed the button, disassemble, and clean up the black mess as good as I can. The rubber coating has turned into sticky crap which cause the button to stick. When I push the button, it gets stucked and stayed in. I am still unsure what to do for permanent solution. Currently I have a tape covering the button.
Old 10-09-18, 04:41 PM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

i got my replacement trunk switch in today. i installed it, still doesn't fix a problem i had, but i kinda figure that it would not fix it. but it's nice to actually feel the button work compared to what it was & how it felt before.
Old 10-11-18, 05:09 AM
ebxgsxr
Advanced

also FYI, for anyone taking off the trunk trim that covers the trunk button, camera, keyhole, & license plate lights......in the center there are 2 little clips that could break depending on how brittle they are. NAPA sells the exact replacement that slide right into the plastic bracket that holds them. there are only 2 on the trunk, but the packs are only available in a pack of 7. if anyone needs it, the part # is 665-2849. both of mine broke last time i had it off. and i found that the center of the trim doesn't sit against the body anymore. once i replaced them, it sits flush against the body again.
Old 01-25-19, 01:42 PM
LS430inDE.
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

Welp, not sure how my button "melted" during the wintertime, but the last couple months, MY trunk release button at the exterior trunk sill, is now a statistic. It still works, but it's deforming and very difficult to open using it. I'll contemplate the documented solutions...

(I know it literally didn't melt, but simply the rubber decomposed after 160k miles and travelling all along the east coast since 2005, lol)

Quick Reply: Outside trunk opener button melting (merged threads)