LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Considering LS430 - any issues?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 03:25 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS 430 is to luxury cars as what Allen Edmonds are to men's shoes. Take care of them and they arguably get better with time. Most reliable luxury car on the planet. If I won the Powerball tonight, I would still drive my Cypress 2004 LS Modern Luxury. Comfort, quality and peace of mind on four wheels.

German competition produces some beautiful cars that look great and are a lot of fun but be prepared to pay extra in maintenance and aggravating repairs. Ahhh...the price of status!
Old 08-02-12, 07:39 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default LS-430 Reliability

Originally Posted by jwillis123
LS 430 is to luxury cars as what Allen Edmonds are to men's shoes. Take care of them and they arguably get better with time. Most reliable luxury car on the planet. If I won the Powerball tonight, I would still drive my Cypress 2004 LS Modern Luxury. Comfort, quality and peace of mind on four wheels.

German competition produces some beautiful cars that look great and are a lot of fun but be prepared to pay extra in maintenance and aggravating repairs. Ahhh...the price of status!
You are correct. I've had several Lexus cars, and the last LS-430 I had was a great and beautiful car that was so severely damaged in a hail storm in Dallas, Texas, I traded for a 2009 LS-460. I love the car but it's now in the shop, again, for the second audio amplifier in about 30 days. They have had it since Monday and should be ready any day now. In the mean time I'm driving their "Loaner" which is a Lexus RX-350. This is the first Lexus I've ever owned that had something "Break". None of my other cars ever did. I hope it's not setting a trend. I bought a 4-Year or up to 75,000 mile Lexus Platinum Warranty on it since the first amp failed. I most likely will trade this one by the time it gets to 75,000 miles but I have the peace of mind of a great Lexus backed Factory Warranty till that happens.
Old 08-02-12, 03:16 PM
ippo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS 430 is to luxury cars as what Allen Edmonds are to men's shoes.
Is it okay to admit that I never heard of Allen Edmonds before? I live in Holland :P
I agree with you that the Germans make beautiful cars but they just don't give the feeling and trust I get from driving a Lexus. Plus I don't like to drive cars where there are already so many of them. I can't remember when I saw a LS430 for the last time. The first and only time I saw a LS600h it was a real happening. I see so many 7 series, A8 and S classes it isn't so special anymore.

The LS430 is luxury AND rare too.

Is it normal in the US to buy extra Warranty? My LS has 106k miles on it when I bought it, but I am very confident that the LS can easily double that figure!

Originally Posted by Carnut
If you are there "in their face", they are more likely to look the part number up, check the labor rate and give you a hard price to fix it.
I called them before for a quote for my former 1GS and they were very kind to look it up for me and give me a price. Plus the previous owner took the LS to the SAME dealer as I am going to. How about that
Old 08-02-12, 05:16 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Allen Edmonds are men's shoes made in Wisconsin. I believe they're the last men's shoe partially hand made in the U.S. they are doing so well they're starting to export their shoes to China of all places. Lexus just reminds me of Allen Edmonds in the way they strive to do everything right. Life is short so I say treat your feet! www.allenedmonds.com

I'm sure they'll ship to Europe!

Last edited by jwillis123; 08-02-12 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 08-02-12, 05:32 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Carnut
You are correct. I've had several Lexus cars, and the last LS-430 I had was a great and beautiful car that was so severely damaged in a hail storm in Dallas, Texas, I traded for a 2009 LS-460. I love the car but it's now in the shop, again, for the second audio amplifier in about 30 days. They have had it since Monday and should be ready any day now. In the mean time I'm driving their "Loaner" which is a Lexus RX-350. This is the first Lexus I've ever owned that had something "Break". None of my other cars ever did. I hope it's not setting a trend. I bought a 4-Year or up to 75,000 mile Lexus Platinum Warranty on it since the first amp failed. I most likely will trade this one by the time it gets to 75,000 miles but I have the peace of mind of a great Lexus backed Factory Warranty till that happens.
460's are awesome in the own way but is definitely a different car. Not to encourage any frustration for you but the lady that previously owned my car traded for an LS460. At one point, the dealer called me and my purchase was on hold because she wanted to return the 460 and get her LS430 back. We were in a holding pattern for 4 or 5 days and then the dealer called and said they had made her happy and we could proceed with my purchase. If I had to replace my 430 today I would be online hunting for a low mileage 2006. There is something about the 430 that makes it especially a good fit.
I'm sure you are giving your 460 a good life and you can easily take her beyond 75,000 miles without anything major going wrong.
Old 08-06-12, 04:48 AM
jtpaajan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure that the reset button is broken? If I recall correctly, the reset button always requires a long press to do anything, and it does nothing if you just briefly push it.
Old 08-09-12, 04:56 PM
ippo
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the button is already "pressed". It feels broken. Just got back from holiday, so I will give them a call any time soon.
Old 08-09-12, 05:46 PM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default LS-460's

460's are awesome in the own way but is definitely a different car. Not to encourage any frustration for you but the lady that previously owned my car traded for an LS460. At one point, the dealer called me and my purchase was on hold because she wanted to return the 460 and get her LS430 back. We were in a holding pattern for 4 or 5 days and then the dealer called and said they had made her happy and we could proceed with my purchase. If I had to replace my 430 today I would be online hunting for a low mileage 2006. There is something about the 430 that makes it especially a good fit.
I'm sure you are giving your 460 a good life and you can easily take her beyond 75,000 miles without anything major going wrong.
Since my LS-460 only has 33,300 miles on it today, trust me, I will trade it within four (4) years from November, this year. Had it not been under Factory Warranty, no telling what the Amp would have cost me. They claimed they found the "Root of the Problem", but I have my doubts. They said they traced it back to a "Short" in the harness at the right rear tail light, which was lettting moisture get into it. The car has never been driven in the rain, so if a car wash was letting enough "moisture" into the car to cause a short.......hmmmmmmmmmm. I'm not sure they replace it the first time since it happened to be working the first time I took it in. I worked for about 30 days and died and was dead when I took it in the second time. Took them a full 6 days to get it resolved. So far, so good.

No way would I own a 460 without a Warranty on it. My LS-430, and all previous LS and GS cars NEVER had anything break. I like to trade about every 4 years anyway, so this one will be close to 75,000 miles when I trade it for a newer LS-460. Might trade it a bit sooner and transfer the Lexus Platinum Warranty to the new owner as an incentive. All in all, I love the car, however. Cruising at 72 MPH, my on-board computer is showing I'm getting 27.5 MPG. Not bad for a 380 HP V-8 huh ?

Good luck to all you also.
Old 08-27-12, 08:59 PM
BigBoi94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On that model that your looking at, check into the air suspension and pwr folding mirrors, other then that great car.
Old 08-28-12, 06:40 AM
Carnut
Pole Position

Default Ls-460

Originally Posted by BigBoi94
On that model that your looking at, check into the air suspension and pwr folding mirrors, other then that great car.
My amplifier has been replaced twice in the first 90 days of ownership of the LS-460. Other than that, it's a nice car and I'm very happy with it. Driving on the road at 70 mph, I get 27.5 mpg and only tach about 1,750 RPM.