LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New Owner of a 2001

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-12, 06:23 PM
sajack
Advanced

Received 114 Likes on 80 Posts
Default New Owner of a 2001

We just took delivery of a parchment (white) 2002 with 77,000 miles. It's an immaculate car with a clean history. We needed a comfortable car for 15 hour drives from North Louisiana to Chicago on I55 and this seems to be the perfect interstate cruiser. I normally would not consider a ten year old car for long trips, but this car looks and drives like a two year old car. The underside is as clean as the top side. Is there anything I need to look for? The timing belt is apparently original. I realize it is past the recommended six year replacement, but I stopped by our local Toyota dealership and a mechanic told me not to worry. Everything functions perfectly on this car and I'm excited about hitting the road in it. We had been making this trip in a 2008 Mazda3, so the LS should be quite an improvement.

Last edited by sajack; 07-08-12 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 02:38 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Welcome & congratulations. If you haven't done so already, register the car in the owners section of lexus.com and you can view the full dealer service history. Common problems you may find:

- Steering wheel adjustment (up/down & in/out) may not work
- Outside mirrors may not adjust or fold
- Cooled seats don't (much).

Enjoy your car and the road trips.
Old 07-05-12, 02:57 AM
sajack
Advanced

Is there any way to defeat the steering wheel adjustment? That's one electric motor that works a lot more than is really needed. It would be nice to have an on-off switch like the outside mirror fold function.
I've had German cars that were plagued with electric. motor problems. It's at least nice to know that Toyota products have better reliability.
Thanks for the info. I had already registered with Lexus.
Old 07-05-12, 05:17 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Your dealer can program the car to not adjust the steering wheel upon stop/start. You can disable the seat retract yourself in the customization menu.
Old 07-05-12, 08:15 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by sajack
Is there any way to defeat the steering wheel adjustment? That's one electric motor that works a lot more than is really needed. It would be nice to have an on-off switch like the outside mirror fold function.
I've had German cars that were plagued with electric. motor problems. It's at least nice to know that Toyota products have better reliability.
If you didn't get an owners manual with the car, you can get a free one from the mylexus site. The car has so many goodies that a manual is a necessity to know all the things and how they operate.
Old 07-05-12, 09:34 AM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Congrats on getting one of the best cars of the 00's. If not THE best.
You'll see
Old 07-05-12, 10:17 AM
sajack
Advanced

I have an owner's manual. Is the customization menu in the manual?

By the way, I'm also a long-time Mazda Miata owner. Lexus owners seem to be almost as passionate about their cars as Miata owners. I think I'm going to enjoy this car.

Last edited by sajack; 07-05-12 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-05-12, 04:20 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Customization is done only at dealer via scantool.
Old 07-05-12, 07:13 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I have an owner's manual. Is the customization menu in the manual?

By the way, I'm also a long-time Mazda Miata owner. Lexus owners seem to be almost as passionate about their cars as Miata owners. I think I'm going to enjoy this car.
You'll be even more passionate if you read the manual. I know it's a long read, but well worth it.
Old 07-07-12, 01:52 AM
chicov8
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome to the club
Old 07-07-12, 02:35 PM
gdigio13
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, its two motors in there. One "in and out" and the other "up and down". They can turn it off at the dealer. I leave mine on but have my dealer open the clam shell on the column and grease the gears on the two column motors during each service (every 5k). Lexus makes a grease specifically for the steering column motors.

The build quality of these cars is amazing. You will love your car.

Last edited by gdigio13; 07-07-12 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Add More Info
Old 07-07-12, 10:55 PM
parkerjs
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!! I'll bet the 15 hour trip will seem a little shorter.
Old 07-08-12, 08:36 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 18

...We needed a comfortable car for 15 hour drives from North Louisiana to Chicago on I55 and this seems to be the perfect interstate cruiser. I normally would not consider a ten year old car for long trips, but this car looks and drive... so the LS should be quite an improvement.
We've done two NJ to Disney trips, with another this Nov, so far and the 19 hours breeze by, and that's with 3 crazy kids in back.

You'll love the smooth ride and quietness.

As for timing belt, I would not risk any age dry rot from a 11 year old belt and just change it. 77k is close anyway, I'm surprised the dealer risked giving an okay to the original belt after 11 years.
Old 07-08-12, 02:14 PM
imherenow
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

welcome to da club lexus party!!..post some pics of your ride
Old 07-08-12, 06:05 PM
usermel
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Smile Wow!

We just took delivery of a parchment (white) 2001 with 77,000 miles. It's an immaculate car with a clean history. We needed a comfortable car for 15 hour drives from North Louisiana to Chicago on I55 and this seems to be the perfect interstate cruiser. I normally would not consider a ten year old car for long trips, but this car looks and drives like a two year old car. The underside is as clean as the top side. Is there anything I need to look for? The timing belt is apparently original. I realize it is past the recommended six year replacement, but I stopped by our local Toyota dealership and a mechanic told me not to worry. Everything functions perfectly on this car and I'm excited about hitting the road in it. We had been making this trip in a 2008 Mazda3, so the LS should be quite an improvement.
WOW, a 2001 with 77,000 miles on it, amazing. Be prepared for the 90,000 miles service though. Check out Toyota, there cheaper than Lexus or find a qualified Toyota Lexus mechanic for cheaper price. I paid a little over $1,000 for my 90,000 miles service. Don't fret, the cost is worth it, these cars last when you take care of them, normal wear and tear is what iv'e experienced. Im at 127,000 now, just got there today. Congrats and enjoy your 2001 LS. Love mines! L.G.N.M

Quick Reply: New Owner of a 2001