LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Rear auto shade 04'

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-12, 09:38 AM
ttran832
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear auto shade 04'

I really want my rear shade to stay up, even when I put it in reverse. I would rather it stay up while in reverse, and then not have to go back down when I put it in drive. Just more wear and tear on the motor and hinges. I can disable it to stay down by flipping that switch, but I Do like to keep it up to protect the leather from harsh sunrays. Wondering if theres a fuse for it?
Old 07-05-12, 10:13 AM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm interested in this too. I love having my shade up to keep the sun out during the day. I am also worried about it going up and down a lot, don't want it to break!
Old 07-05-12, 10:48 AM
ttran832
Rookie

Originally Posted by Jbthompson
I'm interested in this too. I love having my shade up to keep the sun out during the day. I am also worried about it going up and down a lot, don't want it to break!
I will try to look for the fuse sometime this week. Will keep you guys posted.
Old 07-05-12, 07:17 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Why buy a car that has wonderful things and pampers you at every opportunity and then try to disengage some of those features. It's like marrying a beautiful women and covering her face so you won't realize what she looks like as she ages! Makes no sense to me.
Old 07-05-12, 08:21 PM
ttran832
Rookie

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Why buy a car that has wonderful things and pampers you at every opportunity and then try to disengage some of those features. It's like marrying a beautiful women and covering her face so you won't realize what she looks like as she ages! Makes no sense to me.
You must not understood what I wrote. "I want my rear sunshade to be up constantly." Its called preventive action. SOunds like you don't have any sense bro. Anyways. Fuse #45 RR S/SHADE
located in the trunk is where you can opt-out your preference. I have my rear shades up and pulled the fuse out.
Old 07-05-12, 11:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

First of all, it's a Lexus LS....things don't break. Secondly, I'm sure they engineered it more robust, if they knew it was going to be working more when the car is placed in reverse. They didn't leave out anything in the engineering of this car.
Old 07-06-12, 06:00 AM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Case in point: Auto tilt and retract steering wheel.

Same deal, failures happen and costly repairs can most certainly be avoided.
Old 07-06-12, 07:21 AM
ttran832
Rookie

Originally Posted by SQuester
Case in point: Auto tilt and retract steering wheel.

Same deal, failures happen and costly repairs can most certainly be avoided.
Amen to that.
Old 07-06-12, 07:29 AM
votru
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by jayclapp

OP: I understand that you try to 100% bullet proof but do enjoy many features that only a luxury car can offer. Side note: I'm feel sad when seeing a Ferrari beg to be driven yet only few miles being log .
Old 07-06-12, 07:32 AM
ttran832
Rookie

Originally Posted by AJT123
First of all, it's a Lexus LS....things don't break. Secondly, I'm sure they engineered it more robust, if they knew it was going to be working more when the car is placed in reverse. They didn't leave out anything in the engineering of this car.
You're not a smart person. It's called wear and tear. Are you blind to see that other CL members are posting their issues or problems with their "LS"? Dude, we're a community helping each other out. Why don't get with the program son.
Old 07-06-12, 10:33 AM
Lac
Driver

Ttran
would you show me the location of the fuse box in trunk .

thanks
Old 07-06-12, 04:23 PM
Celsior21
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You can't engineer something robust and claim that it never breaks, then there is no reason for warranty or replacement parts for any car out there. There has been issues with this retractable sun shade for sometime. That is good that you have found the fuse to that OP. I would look into a splice like fuse that allows you to tie a inline switch to it so you won't need to pop the fuse back in just to bring down the shade.
Old 07-06-12, 06:23 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Re-engineering a Lexus so it does't work? LOL.
Old 07-06-12, 07:19 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should probably LOL at Lexus also then, since many of the c-best settings disable various functions(i.e. auto tilt/retract column). Then there's the options to disable the AFS, smartkey system, and the door mirrors inward folding and downward tilting(when in reverse) functions.

Me personally, I don't use the sunshade since my 5% tint makes it pointless for the most part.
Old 07-06-12, 08:27 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by ttran832
You're not a smart person. It's called wear and tear. Are you blind to see that other CL members are posting their issues or problems with their "LS"? Dude, we're a community helping each other out. Why don't get with the program son.
I've never seen any threads about the sunshade. I see a few about the steering wheels, but every Lexus I've seen in person, everyone I know with (even a much, much older) one has never had their steering tilt fail. I'm not saying nothing can ever go wrong with these cars, but, generally you don't have to worry. I'd say the engineers designed the motor knowing that it would be used quite frequently.

And BTW, who do you think you are being a total jack-a$$, telling me I'm not smart? Please don't call me son either. You're not a respectful person.

Quick Reply: Rear auto shade 04'