LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Who has had their 2004 - 2006 Ultra Windshield replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-12, 08:05 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Just had my 05 ultra's windshield replaced a couple of weeks ago. It was done by the shop that does the installations for the local lexus dealer (service manager at the dealer was kind enough to tell me who does their windshields). Cost was $250 (my deductible). The LS does not use any special sound proof glass, just UV. There really is no water repellancy on OEM windshields. I've had 3 OEM Asahi (made in Japan) windshields replaced on my wife's LX...not of them bled water until I applied rain-X. Anyways, some aftermarket windshields have extra sound proofing available (the Prius ones are almost always sound proof). The sound proof ones have a thicker laminate. The standard OEM LS ones are not (I looked at the thickness of the replacement and the OEM one...couldn't visually tell the difference, both were about 1/4" thick). The brand I got was PGW (Pittsburgh Glass Works, US made). The glass shop said some windshields they get are made in Japan w/ the Lexus/Toyota logo ground off (they are made at the same factory, but logo's removed since they aren't marked up as such). Then some shops also use cheap (non-Japanese) imports. They can tell since the curvature of the glass doesn't fit the body.

At any rate, the only had to replace the rain sensing tape and top moulding. I requested OEM for that. The side mouldings are attached by clips and 100% reusable. The PGW glass I got has the same greenish tint as the original. That day, the same guy who installed my windshield did the Lexus dealer owner's LS460's windshield, also PGW. The other good brand is Pilkington (or is it Pilkerton?).

Noise-wise, I can't tell a difference. If anything, the vehicle seems a tad quieter than before. The only difference was they reinstalled the main wiper blade about an inch too low, which made it make a slam noise into the rubber cowling when the wipers were on high, probably because i was the last one out before closing. They fixed that (just loosen the bolt, reposition the wiper arm, tighten bolt).
Old 08-30-12, 11:39 PM
Playdrv4me
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_Chow
There really is no water repellancy on OEM windshields..
I have to agree with Jim on this. When I saw this earlier in the thread it really made me chuckle.

It's most likely that the earlier poster who noticed a marked difference in water repellency when his windshield was replaced, had some sort of water repellant added at some point (or by the previous owner) that just held up really well over time.

Pilkington, PPG and Saint-Gobain SEKURIT are the best glass in my opinion, but I'm sure there's plenty of alternative makers who are absolutely fine.
Old 08-31-12, 01:01 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Actually the am windshields crack easier then the factory windshields.
Old 02-03-14, 06:59 PM
Retperio
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuester
Pretty sure there's only one part number for the windshield. When I had mine replaced a couple months ago, the cost of a OEM windshield was a touch over $1800.

My insurance includes glass coverage at no cost, however there was a set limit($400-500) and I would have to pay the difference out of pocket for OEM.
Who is your insurance co,? Mine is USAA and they won't go with OEM. Retperio
Old 02-04-14, 09:14 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Free glass coverage by the insurance companies has become almost standard. It allows them to specify limits on their responsibility for glass coverage and almost never have to allow more expensive OEM glass to be used unless the owner virtually pays for it!

Non OEM glass is almost made exclusively in China and the cost to installers is around $100 for the glass. The installers have no choice, as the insurance company will refuse to pay for OEM glass. Further, they purchase their glass from local distributors, who carry only the very cheap glass as they know they can't sell more expensive OEM glass anyway.

This system originated by a virtual conspiracy by glass companies and is one of the great scams thrust upon the unknowing US public. Also, non OEM glass is not required to be the equivalent of OEM glass. Think about it, why do the auto manufacturers not use the cheap non OEM glass? Could it be because then don't want customers of new cars returning and complaining about the visibility thru the glass or that it has became chipped easily?
Old 02-04-14, 09:52 AM
ayonnebay
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For the record, regarding water-repellent glass in Lexus LS430s - The 2004 Ls430 brochure clearly states (under "Safety and Security" features), that the 2004 LS430 has " Water-repellent front windshield and front-door glass".

(It is not a model-specific option, but a 2004 LS430 safety feature.)

I had it originally, but my replacement windshield is not so-equipped.
Old 02-04-14, 09:58 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

my 06 has the repellant.feels slippery when i spray window cleaner on it.thats the only windshield i ever had that was like it and ive owned over 40 autos.
Old 02-04-14, 10:16 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

I tried desperately to obtain an OEM windshield for my car this year, but failed as insurance company states that they only have to supply "like kind and quality" and then insist that the cheap replacement glass meets all the rquirements of OEM. By that, them must mean that is is made of glass!

I researched the suppliers, because I didn't want cheap Chinese glass which is the typical supplier of the $100 glass that installers are virtually forced to buy and use. I eventually had Pilkington installed, as it is supposedly manufactured in Detroit, but even that is skeptical as Pilkington is owned by a Mexican company and may be manufactured there.
Old 02-04-14, 05:41 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is your guys insurance liability only? or do you have the full coverage?
Old 02-04-14, 05:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

If it were liability only they wouldn't have windshields covered at all...
Old 02-04-14, 05:50 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,256 Likes on 1,370 Posts

I've got comprehensive coverage. I ultimately elected to live with the partially repaired star on my windshield vs replacing it with cheap glass. It's still pretty visible but its out of my normal line of sight while driving so it doesn't bother me all that often.

You should also check your state laws; some states require zero deductible windshield replacement by insurance companies.
Old 02-04-14, 05:54 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Of course I had full coverage on my UL. My windshield was covered by comprehensive with a $500 deductible until suddenly last year the company decide to give me "free" glass coverage. That resulted in changing my replacement to their right to refuse OEM glass replacement under their new policy regarding glass replacement to reduce their costs.
Old 02-04-14, 06:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
I've got comprehensive coverage. I ultimately elected to live with the partially repaired star on my windshield vs replacing it with cheap glass. It's still pretty visible but its out of my normal line of sight while driving so it doesn't bother me all that often.
That was a smart move IMHO...even outside of the glass, just the removal and installation of even OEM glass leaves opportunities for wind noise, etc on such a quiet car.
Old 02-13-14, 11:09 PM
username32
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
I tried desperately to obtain an OEM windshield for my car this year, but failed as insurance company states that they only have to supply "like kind and quality" and then insist that the cheap replacement glass meets all the rquirements of OEM. By that, them must mean that is is made of glass!

I researched the suppliers, because I didn't want cheap Chinese glass which is the typical supplier of the $100 glass that installers are virtually forced to buy and use. I eventually had Pilkington installed, as it is supposedly manufactured in Detroit, but even that is skeptical as Pilkington is owned by a Mexican company and may be manufactured there.
The 2 Pilkington glass I've used before had made in new Zealand on the bottom. I think the quality was quite good considering it was quite a bit cheaper than the factory glass.
Old 02-14-14, 04:29 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Of course I had full coverage on my UL. My windshield was covered by comprehensive with a $500 deductible until suddenly last year the company decide to give me "free" glass coverage. That resulted in changing my replacement to their right to refuse OEM glass replacement under their new policy regarding glass replacement to reduce their costs.
I doubt even with a $500 deductible oem glass would have been covered. USAA does the same thing. They refused oem glass due to the cost unless I wanted to pay the $1000 difference. If I remember correctly, they only replace oem on cars 2 years old and younger. It was far cheaper just to replace it myself out of pocket.

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 02-14-14 at 04:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Who has had their 2004 - 2006 Ultra Windshield replaced?