LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Who has had their 2004 - 2006 Ultra Windshield replaced?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-12, 07:12 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts
Default Who has had their 2004 - 2006 Ultra Windshield replaced?

Wife came home with a half-dollar size chip right in the driver's primary view this evening, looks like somebody tried to shoot her.

Know the LS430 Ultra glass is special with sound and rain repellent stuff. Just not sure how special...

Anyone have a recent estimate on OEM replacement?

Haven't had time to review my policy this evening yet (Erie), do have comprehensive coverage on it.

Looking at a potential alternative for used ones, shows 'w rain sensor' but not sure if that is Ultra or just option. Is 2001 - 2003 windshield going to be the same? For some reason I think the rain repellent stuff was on 2004 up.

http://www.car-part.com/cgi-bin/sear...erPage=1&iKey=

Last edited by DaveGS4; 07-18-12 at 07:21 PM.
Old 07-18-12, 07:27 PM
Jbthompson
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I think it is the same part. AFAIK the laminated glass is on the driver and passenger front doors...
Old 07-18-12, 07:35 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure there's only one part number for the windshield. When I had mine replaced a couple months ago, the cost of a OEM windshield was a touch over $1800.

My insurance includes glass coverage at no cost, however there was a set limit($400-500) and I would have to pay the difference out of pocket for OEM.
Old 07-18-12, 07:45 PM
Cronic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SQuester
Pretty sure there's only one part number for the windshield. When I had mine replaced a couple months ago, the cost of a OEM windshield was a touch over $1800.

My insurance includes glass coverage at no cost, however there was a set limit($400-500) and I would have to pay the difference out of pocket for OEM.
So did you just go with an aftermarket?

I need to get mine replaced. Tons of pitting.
Old 07-18-12, 08:25 PM
SQuester
Pole Position

Yeah, I went aftermarket and had the glass shop that my local dealer uses do the job.
Old 07-19-12, 03:55 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,300 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Yeah, I went aftermarket and had the glass shop that my local dealer uses do the job.
Any issues or differences you've noted with the aftermarket stuff?
Old 07-19-12, 05:18 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it a laminated glass or a regular one?

By the way glass on UL is all laminated except rear.
Old 07-19-12, 05:46 AM
SQuester
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Any issues or differences you've noted with the aftermarket stuff?
Not that I can think of really, the rain sensor(which I was most concerned with) works just as it did before, the installer replaced the sensor pad with new OEM parts.

During the first couple days after replacement, I could've sworn I heard wind noise with all the windows/sunroof closed while traveling over 80mph, but I couldn't replicate the noise again. I should try again though.
Old 07-19-12, 05:58 AM
SQuester
Pole Position

Originally Posted by yuri.ber

That one I'm not entirely sure of, I was adamant about the windshield being water repellent when I was talking to the lady from the glass shop who deals with the insurance companies and such. She assured me that there's only a couple build houses that manufacturer windshields and they all should adhere to whatever standards/options the stock OEM part has.

To be honest, I'm not sure how to even check or test the windshield for that characteristic besides some kind of side by side water test with another local LS with OEM glass.
Old 07-19-12, 06:11 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SQuester

You can easily test it. Just sprinkle water on windshield, water has o bead in small dots. Do the same thing with rear glass and water should stay there just like on any regular glass.
Old 07-19-12, 12:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,749 Likes on 1,966 Posts

That sucks Dave!

The rain repellant is only on the side windows, not the windshield. Windshields are always laminated. It is an acoustic windshield as all Lexus windshields are. My Dad had a windshield put in his '04 Ultra years ago, went with OEM and I just had one put in my ES350 OEM about two months ago. The bill for my ES was over $1,600 installed, I had the Lexus dealer do it. Glass was like $1,250 including the gaskets, trim, etc. Rest was installation. His was so long ago I don't remember and it wouldn't be applicable anyways.

I had a harder time getting them to do OEM this time than I have in the past, but I was able to get them to do it. I would REALLY insist on OEM, I've just had so many problems with aftermarket windshields I'll never accept another one. I basically told them I would not accept aftermarket glass, and they could either do OEM from the get go or they could install a few aftermarket ones which I would reject and then use OEM glass. My agent had to get involved, but once it was escalated it was no problem once that happened.

Here's the pricing on Sewell's site:

http://lexus.sewellparts.com/oem-cat...S430-2005.html

Does the Ultra have the heated glass?..if so the glass is a shocking $2995. Non heated with rain sensor is $1699.

I don't know that I would be confident in a used one. Once the glass is epoxied I just don't see how that epoxy can be removed and the surface made as new to support the bond with the vehicle again. With the windshield being such an important structural component of the car I'd be leery...
Old 07-24-12, 06:16 AM
Tmarbury
Driver School Candidate

Had mine replace with OEM; insurane company replaced it. I paid my deductable and the insurance covered the rest. The OEM has a tint while the aftermarket did not offer the tint; plus I wanted original part. Check with Sewell Lexus. Can't beat the prices.
Old 07-24-12, 07:01 PM
V8_Fan
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber

All front windshields (DOT), regardless of make, are laminated and have been for the last 15-20 yrs or so. Also, all have UV absorption (some degree of it). The test is if your transition sunglasses turn dark when driving or not. If no, there's UV absorption.

You need to replace the rain sensing tape or your rain sensors won't work. In general, the glass shops don't do this unless you ask for it. Ditto w/ OEM mouldings. I just had the windshield on my wife's LX replaced with a Pilkington, and it has the bronze tint just like the OEM, the black dots around the border, etc. I can't even tell a difference in noise. The only difference was it would have been $1700 out of pocket for OEM glass whereas 3rd party was $250 (here, glass is on comprehensive, but State Farm will not pay for OEM glass unless there is no alternative). As far as water repellant glass, I think it's BS. I've had 3 OEM windshields replaced on the LX (made in Japan by Asahi glass) and none of them repelled water. I only notice them repelling water after I get a full detail. I suspect they use rain X or something like that on it.

Last edited by V8_Fan; 07-24-12 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-31-12, 07:04 PM
rodhharris
Driver School Candidate

Default Aftermarket windshield is not water repellant

First off, I am a Rain-X fan. I was pleased when I bought my Ultra and it had "water-phobic" characteristics built-in. Going down the interstate, a gravel truck (sign said faultless for rocks) kicked up a rock that caused a 1 foot crack. So much for the windshield repair option.

I checked around and found that only the OEM windshield had the water-repellancy, and my insurance would not cover that part because "after 12 months, they can substitute aftermarket parts." So I went ahead with the after market part that was 1/7th the price at about $250. I can assure, the water-repellancy feature is now GONE. So it is back to Rain-X every month or two.
Old 08-27-12, 09:10 PM
BigBoi94
Driver School Candidate

I bought my LS with a after market wind shield and it sounds pretty good. There is a little wind noise but not much. When i get the money i will replace it with a OEM one.

Quick Reply: Who has had their 2004 - 2006 Ultra Windshield replaced?