LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Need Help- Tail lamp warning light

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-12, 08:42 PM
jay33
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need Help- Tail lamp warning light

Need some help here. 2002 LS 430. All of a sudden the tail lamp warning light on dash comes on every time i apply the brakes. Per manual, warning light means there is a light out in the rear of the car. Checked all the lights back and front and they are all working. Any thoughts as to why the warning signal is coming on? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Jay.
Old 07-23-12, 09:03 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Pull the bulbs and reinstall them and see if the problem disappears, could be a poor or slightly corroded connection between the bulb and socket. Also mixing different brands of bulbs can case a warning light, try replacing both left and right bulbs with the same brand.
Old 07-23-12, 09:06 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure if remember correctly but one of the bulbs may be a dual filament bulb, one filament for taillight and another for brake light, unless your foot is on the brake you won't be able to tell which bulb is bad. The taillight filament can still work even if the brake filament is shot. Have someone look at the back of the car while you apply the brake.
Old 07-23-12, 09:16 PM
jay33
Rookie

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Pull the bulbs and reinstall them and see if the problem disappears, could be a poor or slightly corroded connection between the bulb and socket. Also mixing different brands of bulbs can case a warning light, try replacing both left and right bulbs with the same brand.
Bulbs in car now are original Lexus bulbs. Manual says one of the "stop light" bulbs should be out but they are both fine. Guess i will need to figure out how to acess them to check them. They are actually part of the trunk lid.
Old 07-23-12, 09:38 PM
slink303
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check the connection on wires,mines does that too.tighten it up n took care of it...BTW do u have LED taillights..
Old 07-23-12, 09:46 PM
jay33
Rookie

Originally Posted by slink303
check the connection on wires,mines does that too.tighten it up n took care of it...BTW do u have LED taillights..
dont think they are LED. which wire connections are u talking about. was able to access the "stop lights" through the litlle access covers at the corners on the trunk lid.
Old 07-23-12, 10:00 PM
slink303
Driver School Candidate

There should be two wires behind the little access covers on the trunk,unplug both and plug back tight...but you have to figure out which side is loose,i suggest you unplug both sides(2wires on each side) and tighten it back up..
Old 07-23-12, 10:13 PM
jay33
Rookie

There should be two wires behind the little access covers on the trunk,unplug both and plug back tight...but you have to figure out which side is loose,i suggest you unplug both sides(2wires on each side) and tighten it back up..
are you talking about the little access covers for the tail lights that are on the trunk as opposed to the access covers for the stop lights that are on the trunk lid?
Old 07-23-12, 10:26 PM
slink303
Driver School Candidate

On the trunk
Old 07-23-12, 10:49 PM
jay33
Rookie

On the trunk
ok will try that tomorrow. just pull them out and plug back in?
Old 07-24-12, 02:11 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Have you checked the third brake light, the one inside the rear window on the package shelf? Mine went out last week.
Old 07-24-12, 08:40 AM
jay33
Rookie

Originally Posted by sajack
Have you checked the third brake light, the one inside the rear window on the package shelf? Mine went out last week.
yup mine is fine
Old 07-24-12, 10:00 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Taillights, brake lights, turn signals, license plate lights, backup lights?
They are all ten years old. One of them has to be weak.
My third brake light bulb was intermittant, then went completely out, $4.72 for one little bulb at NAPA.

Last edited by sajack; 07-24-12 at 10:05 AM.
Old 07-24-12, 10:00 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You have an '02, but on '04 the center brake does not trigger a taillight warning if out. So have you checked all tail lights and had some help with stepping on the brakes and checking if they activate? If all seems in good order, then would say a faulty housing perhaps.
Old 07-24-12, 12:50 PM
jay33
Rookie

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
You have an '02, but on '04 the center brake does not trigger a taillight warning if out. So have you checked all tail lights and had some help with stepping on the brakes and checking if they activate? If all seems in good order, then would say a faulty housing perhaps.
Problem solved! The brake light bulbs actually contain 2 different lights. One of the lights was out on one of the bulbs. I changed that bulb but warning light came back on after i stepped on brake pedal. So i changed out the brake light bulb on the other side even though it was still working. Got back in car and applied the brakes and the warning light didn't come on! I guess the warning system can sense a weak bulb as well as one that has burned out. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Quick Reply: Need Help- Tail lamp warning light