LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Currently driving BMW E46, want LS430, feedback?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-12, 11:50 PM
Soleslow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Currently driving BMW E46, want LS430, feedback?

What's up guys?

I currently drive a 2001 BMW 330i and I absolutely love the way it handles but I just feel like it's a time for change...as well as the fact that the mileage is getting increasingly high.

I have always wanted an LS430 and am just curious about any sort of information/help/opinions as to the comparisons/contrast, negative aspects, anything?

My name is Kenny by the way...I'm 18 years old and hoping to contribute positively to this group and willing to learn.
Old 08-04-12, 12:06 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CL. I see you just joined so you're either goofing us, or something is up.

I don't see an 18 year old going from a 330 to a LS ... but if you're serious,what about the 330 do you not like? Then we can tell you if the LS is the right choice.
Old 08-04-12, 12:15 AM
Soleslow
Driver School Candidate

Haha nah man.

I've got a strange life...but yeah.

I make money selling shoes basically.

The 330i is fine but I purchased it from my uncle previously who maintained it seldom/if at all.

it's slowly rising to about 125k miles and i'm just looking for something with better reliability and less miles (although since Lexus uses a Toyota engine, i'm sure they'll last a while which I'm stoked about).

I am not very knowledgeable with cars as of yet, so please bear with me.

My parents used to own an LS430 as well when I used to live with them, and it's been one of my dream cars ever since.

i've finally got enough money saved to purchase one, so I just want to know what I'm getting into.
Old 08-04-12, 12:18 AM
Soleslow
Driver School Candidate

One of my cousins also works at a local Lexus dealership and has said that he'd be able to help me...so I'm looking forward to that as well.

Just looking for some other insight sirs.
Old 08-04-12, 12:54 AM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had an E46 as well as other bmw's....it's night and day differences.

Sit in an ls430 and drive it. You'll either love it or hate it, but i's a huge step up IMO.

Kinda like comparing the E46 to an e65....C to S etc
Old 08-04-12, 04:10 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Soleslow

My parents used to own an LS430 as well when I used to live with them, and it's been one of my dream cars ever since.

i've finally got enough money saved to purchase one, so I just want to know what I'm getting into.
Then you should be familiar with the vehicle and how smooth it is and what you're getting with it.

In terms of comparison, the 430 is bigger,more powerful, more luxury, more reliability...more everything except for more fun for a young driver.

There's no comparing a 01 330i to a LS430 they serve different purposes.
Old 08-04-12, 06:20 AM
94GS300
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The big difference is DRIVER INVOLVEMENT. A BMW is going to have a lot of driver involvement and an LS430 is not going have much. By driver involvement I mean it has more of a raw feel and you feel more connected to the car which a lot of people equate as more fun to drive. An LS430 completely isolates the driver from the road and some people love that too.

For example, BMW's steering feel and feedback is phenomenal. An LS430 is going to feel very numb by comparison. A BMW's chassis begs to be driven around corners fast. An LS430 doesn't inspire you to go around corners fast. However, the LS430 ride is like gliding on air so you don't get beat up as much on rough roads.

It comes down to whether you want to feel involved in the driving process or be completely isolated. Most people your age don't want to be isolated, but being isolated is very nice if you want to be surrounded in silence by complete luxury and reliability.
Old 08-04-12, 06:21 AM
Igoboe
Rookie

I had 01 BMW 740i SPORT for 3 years, the best car I ever had (and probably will) but it was VERY expensive to maintain. Something was always wrong with it, especially electronics. It was sooooo annoying! After I got stranded on hwy once i had to give up and went to Japanese.
Have ben driving 06 LS for 4 years and really enjoy it:
Super comfortable and quiet, very reliable and spacious, totally trouble free.
The ride is dull and not very eventful.
T
Old 08-04-12, 08:26 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 429 Likes on 353 Posts

It's cool to see another young person wanting an LS. If you get an LS430, will you be keeping the 330i?

Compared to a 3 series BMW, the LS will be somewhat boring in it's stock form, but it will be far more comfortable. I'm 22 and just purchased an LS a few weeks ago and it's been an interesting experience. Coming from a sporty, fun car like my SC300 to an LS430 takes some time getting used to. If you can afford to keep the BMW and buy the LS, go that route. That way you can have the best of both worlds.
Old 08-04-12, 09:57 AM
imherenow
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

one way is to get up and test drive one preferably @ lexus dealership and then come back and tell us how you liked it.
Old 08-04-12, 12:00 PM
jwillis123
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Soleslow
Haha nah man.

I've got a strange life...but yeah.

I make money selling shoes basically.
It will be like going from a pair of Chinese made Nike's to a pair of Wisconsin made Allen Edmonds. You can run in the Allen Edmonds if you have to but you are moving up into a quality product that will last for many years if you take care of it.

3 Series is fun but LS is the pinnacle of comfort and quality. Just dont make the leap to an S Class MBZ, you will have to sell drugs to pay for the repairs!

All the previous posts are right on. Do your homework and find one that has a good history and you will love it so long as you're satisfied with the change in style and handling.

You have good taste beyond your years
Old 08-04-12, 02:05 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Big difference in the 2 of them, i had 3 m3's in my life, all e36, 2 verts. I absolutely love the way they handle. i Remember when they were on the cover of motor trend and it read "best handling car ever at any price" better then lambo,porsch,ferrari at that time. Why not own both,

If i were you i would step into a gs400 300hp (as opposed to 290 on the ls430) and the gs400 has eshift on the steering wheel,(the gs430 dosent( the gs400 does 0-60 under 6 seconds, Test drive one, it dosen't hurt.i think it would suit you more, people see you driving a Ls series and your driving papa's car(no offense to anyone else) just my opinion.
Old 08-04-12, 05:29 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Your post reminds me of my post on here 2 yrs ago. I was 20 at the time (almost 21) and had an E90 328i sedan with a 6 speed manual. I got an E60 as a loaner and was shocked at how upscale compared to the 3 series. I've always liked big flagship luxo barges so I decided to go for it. The LS430 is the best daily driver I've ever had. Sure it doesn't handle like a 3 series, but it still feels pretty good to drive. The 320 ft/lbs of torque gives it pretty decent acceleration too.

I picked the LS430 (though the BMW E65 750i was my 1st choice) b/c it's just as solid as a W220 S500 (I test drove one while shopping) and combines Toyota reliability. I've had this car for 2 yrs now and am still loving it (will be 23 in a few weeks). I park it outside all the time now b/c the med school I'm at does not have garaged parking. It starts up everytime and everything always works, no matter the outside temps (the school is near Chicago btw).

Anyway, read up here some very knowledgeable members here. Also if you dig far enough, you might be able to find the thread I made back in the day (had a lot of responses, got to like 8 pgs lol). That had a lot of good info. Go test drive one first before you get too into the forums lol
Old 08-04-12, 05:34 PM
gashed
Driver School Candidate

Soleslow: Good luck with whatever route you take. I drove BMW's for 30 years. Like many have said, an E46 and a LS430 are polar opposites. I bought an 01 330 for my Daughter when she started driving and a 05 325 for my Son. The e46 is a very engaging and fun car to drive. However, you will have Maintenance issue - PS Hoses and Pump, Valve Cover gaskets, oil filter housing gasket, Coolant overflow tank, etc. I don't think many 18 yr old kids view a LS430 as a 'cool' car. In fact, my kids view my LS430 as an Old Man's Car. If you want a big car that is less engaging than your e46, but also much more trouble free, then maybe you are ready to move on up to a LS430.

Good luck
Old 08-04-12, 09:11 PM
doodoo
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I swear soleslow is my twin or something. I drive an e46 323i, i make a living selling shoes, and Im older by 2 years (20). My little sister is getting into college and Im giving her my car. I just bought myself a 04 s500 even though i wanted to get an ls430. I just couldnt pass up on the price. Even though the ls or s class are considerd "old people" cars, I don't really care what others think. Im getting old and want a smooth ride. The e46 was pretty fun to take on corners etc but the s500 is a whole new level. The quality, ride, options makes it worth it to me. But hey, try it out and see if you like the ls. You are still young and might still want something with some pep and handles really good.

Quick Reply: Currently driving BMW E46, want LS430, feedback?