LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New 2001 LS430 owner, so now what!

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-12, 03:51 PM
10suxel02
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2001 LS430 owner, so now what!

Hello,

Just this afternoon, I purchased a Cobalt blue on Neutral, 2001 Lexus LS430. Though it is older, it is the first Lexus, and the most luxurious car, I have ever purchased and I want to make sure it lasts as long as it can, with no unnecessary major malfunctions. I will give everyone the specifics below, in order to receive the best advice possible towards that end.

114,000 miles, Levinson sound system w/o navigation, new Michelin Destiny P225/60R16 tires, passenger/rear/side airbags, steering wheel controls, memory seats, and so on.

This was a one owner Lexus, with a complete, printed maintenance history and a good Carfax. Only the 50k and 70k services were missed with no major problems listed. The serpentine and timing belts, water pump and original brake pads have been replaced. The front rotors were resurfaced while the rears have been replaced. The trunk supports have also been repaired.

The only issue I have so far, after two days, is the very slight wobble, in the steering wheel, when breaking. Does the $11,750 price sound reasonable or even close?

So, what should I look to upgrade (just to OEM levels), repair now, be ready to repair soon or start saving big money for?

Thanks
Old 08-06-12, 04:24 PM
GLIDESUL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like a good deal the wobble could mean replace front rotors. Its hard to tell if somerthing going to happen with your ls, some ppl have peoblems most don't. Plugs could be changed. I swaped my wheels for oem 18's and added led taillights and a load of leds inside and out. Enjoy your new ride its unbeatable especially with those 16's on her.
Old 08-06-12, 05:15 PM
10suxel02
Driver School Candidate

Default About rotor intervals

Thanks for the reply.

The plugs were changed at the 92k mark, so they are probably good for a while.

The rotors have been checked at 5k and 11k, with no problems. Then a steering wheel shutter, like what I feel now i guess, was reported at 20k with no mechanic follow-up note. At 100k, the front rotor was resurfaced while the back rotor was replaced.

Question 1: Is this rotor resurfacing/replacement interval or milage normal? 100k seems like a lot of miles for a rotor, but then this is my first Lexus. Because there is no mention of a cure for the 20k shutter, it makes me think that something was adjusted, maybe the rotor,and just not logged or the owner just drove the next 80k with a shutter. Hard to imagine. Hope he's alright!

Question 2: I read in another area, that the shutter could be the result of material build-up on the rotor or pads, and that it can be corrected threw a series of warming the brakes and driving in a particular manner. Any weight behind that?

Thanks
Old 08-06-12, 08:02 PM
Michaeldc
Driver School Candidate

That's a good deal with only having one owner.
Old 08-07-12, 07:11 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The front rotors should be replaced. After 100k miles and at least one time on the turning machine they are likely on the thinner side, which means they have less mass to absorb the heat from braking and will warp even faster.
Old 08-07-12, 05:51 PM
10suxel02
Driver School Candidate

Default Deals and rotors

Thanks for the support, that this was a good deal. So much involved in picking a next car, with the year, the model, the options, the manufacturers dependability rating, the maintenance history, the inspections, the sellers trustworthiness, it's all a bit if you do it correctly isn't it.

Thanks for the rotor input. If these are indeed on their last legs, then I'll have to brake lightly until the tax return arrives next year. I'm not having a real issue with them now, but that is the kind of information I'm looking for. I have already put the task on my calendar for next February.

Thanks
Old 08-07-12, 06:18 PM
merkel1405
Driver School Candidate

It does sound like a fine deal. I have had mine for 8 years now with 126,000 and my rearview mirror along with the outside mirrors do not dim auto anymore. I was told it's about $1100.00 to repair, and the front struts need replacing to the tune of $2200.00 because of being electronic struts. But I am still very pleased with my LS430
Old 08-07-12, 08:12 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

I too have an occasional intermittent shutter upon braking after having my pads replaced and rotors turned around 8,000 miles ago. My 01 has 108,000 miles with Nav and I spent almost exactly to the penny what you paid. $11,800! I purchased my car in May of 2010 and love it. Other than the subwoofer and brakes, the car has been fairly trouble free. It's a great car......You're going to love it!!!!
Old 08-07-12, 09:29 PM
Michaeldc
Driver School Candidate

I just pick up an 05 Lexus LS430 with 82,000 miles with one owner with all service done at Lexus. asking price was $23,000 got them down to $19,000 and put $6000 down.
Old 08-08-12, 04:45 PM
10suxel02
Driver School Candidate

Default Struts and rotors

Wish I was in a financial position to be buying a 2005, but things be what they be. Good job getting the price down.

As for the rotors, are the pads made out of a material that is tougher than the rotors? It seems like it should be the other way around, so the rotor would last longer. I checked the price of rotors yesterday, and their not cheap are they. Their still on my wish list for early next year.

Struts are another area that I'm getting mixed reading on. Some owners say the struts are great and should last forever. May never need replacement. Then others say the have already replaced them and the market is saturated with struts for sale, as if it's a common replacement. Any thoughts?

One more question. I do not have the air suspension system, so are my struts still managed electronically or are they purely mechanical?

Thanks
Old 08-08-12, 05:58 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by 10suxel02
Wish I was in a financial position to be buying a 2005, but things be what they be. Good job getting the price down.

As for the rotors, are the pads made out of a material that is tougher than the rotors? It seems like it should be the other way around, so the rotor would last longer. I checked the price of rotors yesterday, and their not cheap are they. Their still on my wish list for early next year.

Struts are another area that I'm getting mixed reading on. Some owners say the struts are great and should last forever. May never need replacement. Then others say the have already replaced them and the market is saturated with struts for sale, as if it's a common replacement. Any thoughts?

One more question. I do not have the air suspension system, so are my struts still managed electronically or are they purely mechanical?

Thanks
Rotors are good until they are too thin or warped or both. Both amount of thickness and warp on the rotor can easily be measured and checked. Unless the rotor is out of spec regarding these two measurable criteria there is no reason to replace the rotors.

The cheapest brake parts I have found on web is a site called irontoad.com for LS430 brakes. I have used them for pads for my car and they had great prices on OEM parts with no drama order and shipping process. LS340 is the easiest car I have every seen for a diy brake job - including replacing rotors.
Old 08-08-12, 06:35 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Tire Rack centrix rotors have been good to me. 50 rears 70 fronts or vice versus. Plus shipping
Old 08-08-12, 11:06 PM
Michaeldc
Driver School Candidate

10suxel02 struts are mechanical. I was gonna check out my car this morning at work to see if I have air suspension or struts. Any way of telling besides taking out the tire to see if I have struts?
Old 08-09-12, 06:31 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Michaeldc
10suxel02 struts are mechanical. I was gonna check out my car this morning at work to see if I have air suspension or struts. Any way of telling besides taking out the tire to see if I have struts?
If you have a suspension adjustment switch on the center console, you have air suspension. No switch = no air suspension.
Old 08-09-12, 01:05 PM
10suxel02
Driver School Candidate

Default Switch and rotor and strut stuff

Thanks, it may have seemed obvious to the long-time Lexus owner, but I had to look it up. You're correct, there will be a switch or two on the counsel for air suspension equipped LS430's.

It looks like I'll have to let the local dealer take a look at the car asap. I like the fact that they know the car in and out, have the correct tools and use the correct parts. I like that if any of their repairs were to be responsible for damage later on, you're covered, and if any repairs or damage were to go REALLY wrong due to their repair, the dealer and the insurance company will cover you. It's the cost of their repairs that kill me. They have been at that game for a LONG time, so there are no loop holes, and those costs are what they are i guess.

First time driving it in a very heavy rain today, and it's kind of like sitting in your recliner, in your living room, looking out of the window, with the central air on and the stereo playing oldies. Compared to the GMC Yukon I traded in (I really loved that SUV) it's a whole new world.

When it comes time for me to get new rotors and struts, I'll come back and review all of your suggestions. Thanks for those.

Where do I go to get a list of the standard equipment and options for my specific LS430 by VIN number ?

Quick Reply: New 2001 LS430 owner, so now what!