LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Navagation DVD

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-12, 08:08 AM
Frankg2
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Navagation DVD

I'd appreciate any advise and/or opinions on this...

I purchased the 2011 Nav update DVD from Lexus of North Miami via their eBay store. I pressed the eject button on the ECM and waited for the old disc to eject. Heard some whirring, churning, etc., but no disc. Stupidly I thought 'maybe there is no disc in there' (which clearly couldn't be the case since the system was working) so I tried to insert the new disc. Well, turned out the system is just really slow to eject and was still working on ejecting the old disc, so when I tried to insert the new one it scratched it and spit it out. After finally getting the old one out I put the new one in but now have a read error.

No worries, I thought.. I'll just contact Lexus of North Miami and ask for a replacement. I told them I would be happy to pay all shipping costs and would send the scratched one back so they could see I wasn't trying to get away with anything. No joy. They insisted if I needed a replacement it would cost me another $141. When I asked why they said it was because Lexus did not provide them the means to replace a disc without paying full cost. The suggested I contact Lexus directly and deal with them.

I contacted Lexus and was incredibly disappointed with their response. First, they claimed they could do nothing because I bought it thru a third party. After I explained to them that I purchased it thru one of their dealers (that it was an eBay store doesn't change that fact) they changed tactics and claimed it was a dealer installed option. I told them it involved ejecting a DVD and inserting a new one, and that I was not about to drive 2+ hours one way to a Lexus dealer just to have a DVD inserted. They said it did not matter, it was my problem and they couldn't help me. No amount of discussing the matter, thru three different levels of 'support' would get them to budge.

So here's my problem with this; everyone knows the cost to stamp a disc is pennies, and that what we are really paying for is the content on the disc. (note: the customer satisfaction 'manager' I spoke with continued to insist she had no idea this was correct.. she was clearly being disingenuous on this point). I argued that if I can prove I paid for the disc (which I can), that it was thru a Lexus dealer (which it was) and that I would return the damaged disc and pay for all shipping, that it should be no skin off Lexus's nose to replace the disc. Clearly I have paid for and should have the updated content. The cost of the disc itself is pennies, but I offered to pay $10 as well as all shipping fees to ensure this cost Lexus nothing. Yet despite all this I could not get Lexus to budge on this. I was never given a satisfactory explanation why they were unwilling to help. I realize I damaged the disc but why would Lexus not be willing to assist me with this? They steadfastly refuse to do anything for me, insist I pay another $140 for another copy and will not give me an explanation.

So what am I missing here? Can anyone think of a reason that would justify Lexus's unwillingness to help? Any idea's on how to resolve this? At the moment I am out $140 and still have an out of date nav system. $140 for something most handheld nav systems provide for free was already a tough pill to swallow, but paying $280 is out of the question. The disc has a pretty good scratch in it and I'd be surprised if it could be polished out, but at this point I have no idea how to even try.
Old 08-13-12, 08:44 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I would write a polite letter to the highest level of Lexus US management you can find, documenting your problem and repeating your very reasonable offer. Here you are being completely straight-forward with them while you could have easily lied and said the disk arrived with the scratch. Their responses to-date do not reflect the high level of customer satisfaction Lexus is known for.
Old 08-13-12, 10:22 AM
Frankg2
Driver

Originally Posted by caddyowner
I would write a polite letter to the highest level of Lexus US management you can find, documenting your problem and repeating your very reasonable offer. Here you are being completely straight-forward with them while you could have easily lied and said the disk arrived with the scratch. Their responses to-date do not reflect the high level of customer satisfaction Lexus is known for.
Thanks caddyowner. I actually thought about the wisdom of being honest from the get go, but that's just how I am. Besides, I can not fathom a reason why they wouldn't work with me and so even if I was someone who could lie about it, I don't think it would ever have occurred to me to do that.

Do you have any advice on locating 'upper' Lexus US management? So far I've only been able to deal with the folks you find via the "Contact Us" on the lexus.com website. I never got the feeling I was dealing with someone empowered to make a decision, concerned with helping me out or even understanding exactly what the situation was and what I was asking Lexus to do. It was as if they were reading from a playbook and were incapable of 'thinking outside the box'. Very frustrating. One of the last things I said was I would likely never buy Lexus again because of how they were handling this and said "I hope losing a loyal customer was worth the $.20 it may have cost you to work with me" and I got no sense that the woman I was speaking with even cared. I sure hope this isn't a sign of things to come.
Old 08-13-12, 10:59 AM
Twix
Pole Position

Sorry guys, just a thought - in US, do you guys still have places where you can rent DVD movies?
If so, here in South Africa they usually have DVD "polishing" machines in those shops as usually DVD's get scratched and it is not very cheap to replace original DVD movies...

I had a situation twice to have some very important things on DVD disks that I scratched them my self by an accident, and both times I went to a local DVD renting place and asked the guys if they can polish them for me.
Both times they helped me and I had working DVD's

Just my 5c - if I am completely wrong (as I don't really know how is it in US when it comes to renting DVD movies) then sorry for wasting your time

Last edited by Twix; 08-13-12 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-13-12, 12:19 PM
Frankg2
Driver

Originally Posted by Twix
Sorry guys, just a thought - in US, do you guys still have places where you can rent DVD movies?
If so, here in South Africa they usually have DVD "polishing" machines in those shops as usually DVD's get scratched and it is not very cheap to replace original DVD movies...

I had a situation twice to have some very important things on DVD disks that I scratched them my self by an accident, and both times I went to a local DVD renting place and asked the guys if they can polish them for me.
Both times they helped me and I had working DVD's

Just my 5c - if I am completely wrong (as I don't really know how is it in US when it comes to renting DVD movies) then sorry for wasting your time
Actually, that's an excellent idea. I'm usually very **** in caring for my CD's, DVD's and BD's, so can't really justify buying a good polishing machine, but some of the local rental stores... hadn't thought of that. Thanks.

I still want to take this up with someone in Lexus high enough up to actually be accountable, but if I can get this one working then that's 90% of the problem.
Old 08-13-12, 12:53 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

This is a bit of a reach but you actually don't know for sure why the disk is not reading it may be the scratch or it may be just a bad disk for some other reason. You did not test it beforehand so you really have no way of knowing.

If it were me I'd call Lexus and tell them that the disk you ordered and paid for is not being recognized by the DVD reader and you want to exchange it or return it if they refuse exchange. Why it is not reading is really not relevant. You are correct the value of a dvd is 99.9% in the content so its completely wrong for Lexus to give you the run around on this. Sending you a new disk would cost them virtually nothing they just don't want to deal with the bad disk and trying to send it back to maker for refund or exchange. .
Old 08-13-12, 03:52 PM
Frankg2
Driver

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
This is a bit of a reach but you actually don't know for sure why the disk is not reading it may be the scratch or it may be just a bad disk for some other reason. You did not test it beforehand so you really have no way of knowing.

If it were me I'd call Lexus and tell them that the disk you ordered and paid for is not being recognized by the DVD reader and you want to exchange it or return it if they refuse exchange. Why it is not reading is really not relevant. You are correct the value of a dvd is 99.9% in the content so its completely wrong for Lexus to give you the run around on this. Sending you a new disk would cost them virtually nothing they just don't want to deal with the bad disk and trying to send it back to maker for refund or exchange. .
You're correct in that I can't say for sure it would have worked had I not scratched it, but I also agree that is a reach. Dealing with Lexus, at least the folks behind the "Contact Us" #'s, are useless. They were all about excuses. That I used an eBay store, that I installed the DVD myself... they were just making excuses to turn their back on me. As I told them, if it was a part that actually cost something to manufacture, I'd understand, but a DVD, outside of it's content, has no worth and has essentially no cost associated in it's manufacturing, so to not work with me is illogical. The dealer (Lexus of North Miami) claims there is nothing they can do for me, that they are basically a reseller of the disc and if they replace my disc it will be at their expense - which apparently is my cost (I don't believe this for a second either, but...).

I guess what I'm hoping for is that someone here knows someone who can provide me a phone number that gets me in touch with someone high enough up to have an intelligent, logical conversation. At a minimum, offer me a compromise.. something. That this is happening with Lexus is unthinkable and has really tainted my feelings of them as a company.
Old 08-13-12, 05:38 PM
Mylton99
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Me too!

Almost fell off my chair. I had the same problem here in NC...(Nav DVD will not eject)
Sorry to learn about your mishap. I'm going to Lexus of Knoxville to have them eject my old DVD. I'll let you know how that works out. Most of the time, they'll match discounts from other Lexus dealers, even N. Miami on eBay.

Is it any comfort that my NAV will only get me to within 5 miles of home?

I like the post about polishing the DVD. Sounds like better than fighting Lexus for $140.

DM

...so what am I missing here? Can anyone think of a reason that would justify Lexus's unwillingness to help? Any idea's on how to resolve this? At the moment I am out $140 and still have an out of date nav system. $140 for something most handheld nav systems provide for free was already a tough pill to swallow, but paying $280 is out of the question. The disc has a pretty good scratch in it and I'd be surprised if it could be polished out, but at this point I have no idea how to even try.[/QUOTE]