LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Time to roll or shave the fenders!

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-12, 06:41 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

when i put mine on L it did camber in naturally a little more than in that pic,, what setting was the rear on in that pic? you can put it on L and allow it to lower as much as possible, i did this to mine when i had a much wider fitment and the just sat on the rear tire but it didn't hurt anything. maybe try a mild 10mm pull of rear fenders.
Old 08-20-12, 06:59 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm a little afraid to pull hearing all the horror stories of just rolling the quarters, let alone pulling them.

I get a tiny bit more camber after I shaved the quarter, since I am able to go down about another inch. I really should have taken a new pic.

Just really wondering how much weight the tire would be taking. I think my jack had another inch of play from initial contact of the quarter/tire
Old 08-20-12, 09:37 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

the only part i was able to actually pull was only the most outer edge and maybe a total of about a half an inch of material because any higher up into the fender after the first half inch the metal became double walled. this double walled metal is what dimples i believe when rolled so i didn't even attempt to try to pull any more than that. if i had pulled it any more it would have started to just flair out the metal fender lip and made a visible crease of where the double walled metal started and anything more than like 10-15mm would have started to look funny.

but that 10mm out and about a half inch up may give you just engough clearance to tuck the tire inside and lower it down that extra half inch. actually maybe not, (i can't see the pic above since i'm at work) but if i recall your tire seemed to stick out a little more than 10-15mm didn't it?
Old 08-20-12, 09:44 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

I will take a new pic tomorrow...hopefully I have time to shave the other side, and test fit all 4 wheels on at the same time and take pics.

Going off of memory only, I think it would be about 10-15mm to tuck the tire. The fender would sit right in between the wheel lip and tire (the sweet spot).

I am kind of ruling out pulling the quarters truthfully. I can get my hands on an Eastwood, and I have pulled before on other cars, but too many horror stories with these cars means I cannot take the risk of following suit.

So I either have to camber in the wheel, which I think will look odd since the front would be on natural camber, or sell the wheels and find something more to my liking
Old 08-20-12, 09:50 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

i have rolled fenders in the past but this was my first experience in pulling.

with the help of my friend and his tools we used his eastwood and just heated up the fender and slowly rolled (with some pressure) it back and forth (BTW it only allowed 9.30 -2.30 on the clock to be rolled on account of the inner fender tabs). i think since we did it so slowly (about 30+ mins on each fender) that we could see if anything was going to happen. i think if you did it fast (like most shops trying to make money) that you could easily damage the flow (reflection) and possible make a bump/dimple but if you do it very slowly and carefully i think it decreases the possiblility of issues.

i think that shaving was the more dangerous part and if you got this already done so smoothly, you seem to have more than enough expertise and skill to do the roll/pull. just imagine its like a roll but with no lip or edge to actually roll
Old 08-20-12, 09:59 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

I'll take a better look at it tomorrow and update. Thanks for the advice so far
Old 08-21-12, 03:50 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

You can see, I still sit the quarter on the tire sidewall. It isn't crazy anymore after all 4 are mounted, in other words, I don't think it will damage the quarter/tire hopefully, but it still sits there.

The passenger side is a little more angled out, so an alignment is probably in order.

How much adjustment is available for an alignment with the stock arms? I only need a few mm
Old 08-21-12, 04:12 PM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOOKS SEXY!!

Did you seal the edges after sanding them down?? dont' want them to rust when it starts to rain.
I can say that's stance approved!!
Old 08-21-12, 04:18 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

I did not...I didn't have time today. I would say that it never rains here, but it is supposed to rain for the next two days lol.

We never get rain in Vegas...except in August/Sept or so
Old 08-21-12, 04:42 PM
LsBanGer43
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by C8V6C
I did not...I didn't have time today. I would say that it never rains here, but it is supposed to rain for the next two days lol.

We never get rain in Vegas...except in August/Sept or so
lol you should be ok then but check on them once in awhile to make sure
Old 08-21-12, 05:40 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Your alignment may drastically affect how the wheels fit. I made a mistake in pulling the fenders BEFORE alignment. After the alignment it didn't fit the same.
Old 08-21-12, 05:43 PM
waijai
Racer

Camber isn't going to be adjustable with stock arms, just toe.

I may be selling my Megan rear camber arms soon.
Old 08-21-12, 05:55 PM
C8V6C
Pole Position

I think I am going to have to order some. Do you mind telling me where you bought yours from and appx cost?

I don't mind buying used ones, but since I need them fairly soon, I don't know if yours will be ready by then
Old 08-21-12, 07:06 PM
waijai
Racer

Got them from forum vendor, I think Assaultech?
Old 08-21-12, 08:04 PM
sojah
Lead Lap

these pics are blocked at my work so i had to ckeck on my small cell phone. it looks real good but at what point on rear fender are you hitting exactly.

looking at the rear drivers side and say it is a clock, are you hitting at the 10 & 2 or the 12 or what?

looks a hell of a lot better for sure.

Quick Reply: Time to roll or shave the fenders!