LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Expensive day....suspension stuff among other thing.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-12, 10:56 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Expensive day....suspension stuff among other thing.

I failed my inspection over the weekend, and I had a laundt list of things to fix.

I have on 04 with 140k, no problems just general maint. up till this point. The inspection revealed a few burnt out bulbs up front and my 3rd brake light, brake pads all around with rotors in the rear as well (knew they were close), but the biggy and the surprise was my suspension. My front struts are leaking badly, the control arms are cracked and the bushings are shot.

The car definitely felt a little less taught than it used to, and some bumps were not quite as dampened as I remembered them being, but I didn't think they parts were that shot. They are.

The bill, which I will pay tomorrow will be $2600.

Thankfully I had no intention of getting rid of the car, and now I'll probably have keep it another 2 years (at least) to get my moneys worth. As sucky as the bill is, I'm excited to drive the car with the new suspension pieces.

Anyone else get this suspension work done at this mileage point - approx?
Old 09-11-12, 11:02 AM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is that bill all the parts and labor you just listed or is the 2600 just parts on the suspension?
Old 09-11-12, 11:05 AM
MobbinVIP
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by gstern1994
I failed my inspection over the weekend, and I had a laundt list of things to fix.

I have on 04 with 140k, no problems just general maint. up till this point. The inspection revealed a few burnt out bulbs up front and my 3rd brake light, brake pads all around with rotors in the rear as well (knew they were close), but the biggy and the surprise was my suspension. My front struts are leaking badly, the control arms are cracked and the bushings are shot.

The car definitely felt a little less taught than it used to, and some bumps were not quite as dampened as I remembered them being, but I didn't think they parts were that shot. They are.

Thankfully I had no intention of getting rid of the car, and now I'll probably have keep it another 2 years (at least) to get my moneys worth. As sucky as the bill is, I'm excited to drive the car with the new suspension pieces.

Damn! Sucks to hear that...
I picked up my 02 430ul & all I have been doing is maintenance, ball joints, lower control arm bushings, brks, rotors....you name it
I hope I get to swap out my oem Air for Aftermarket air before they go out
Old 09-11-12, 11:08 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

Sorry, parts and labor.
Old 09-11-12, 03:04 PM
VIPDrizzy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2600 for parts and labor doesn't sound to to bad for all that work if your getting new oem stuff including arms bushing and struts thats not bad usually the oem stuff is crazy expensive
Old 09-11-12, 06:35 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by gstern1994

Has your transmission fluid ever been changed?
Old 09-12-12, 05:06 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

I had the transmission flushed about 5K ago for the first time. After reading several threads here that insisted on it, even though it's sealed, I did it. Fortunately for me the mechanic said everything looked normal, little dirty, but normal.

I think you're right about the cost, that for the amount of work being done it's reasonable. It's just a lot to spend when you're not expecting/planning on such a bill.