LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Has anyone ever had to replace their transmission in 2004+ models?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-12, 09:27 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts
Default Has anyone ever had to replace their transmission in 2004+ models?

I've done some research, but haven't yet found a good answer.

On the 2004 and up, the transmission is the sealed "lifetime" type. When I called about doing a drain and fill, the rep sounded very unsure about doing it. It definitely did not make me feel good about doing it (and they usually want to sell you every service under the sun)

I'm almost afraid you're inviting more trouble by attempting to service these transmissions than it would to just let sleeping dogs lie. And the advisor says that the LS transmissions almost never come in for replacement.

My particular car has had the tranny replaced under the recall, and it has 130k miles, with no history of the fluid being changed.

I would have the dealer do the service, and it's not about the money, but my worst fear is that some rookie grease monkey that usually gets assigned fluid flushes and oil changes gets my car, doesn't know what he's doing, and fries my transmission. It's going to be VERY hard to get a Lexus dealership to buy me a new transmission if they screw up when I have 130k miles on it already.

I'd love some advice, because I'd like to keep this car for several years. If there's no real cases of transmissions having to replaced with this lifetime fluid, maybe I should just leave it alone?
Old 09-24-12, 01:15 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

go to the toyota dealer, from my experience there more easier to deal with and there techs are familiar with the lexus line up, they charge 220$ for a complete flush for a V8 lexus.
Old 09-24-12, 10:15 PM
yeskay
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what was the tranny recall. does it affect all 2004+ models?
Old 09-25-12, 07:18 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 255 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by yeskay
what was the tranny recall. does it affect all 2004+ models?
Only the 2004 LS400 was involved - 13,000 of the 31,697 sold in the U.S.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Old 09-26-12, 01:29 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

No offense I think you are being paranoid. Ask and make sure a master tech oversees your car if it worries you. Really lifetime opinions leave it alone, drain and fill, or complete flush. I would suggest just a drain and fill, tell em you will pay to have em run it and drain/refill it again.
Old 09-26-12, 12:24 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by warminwisc
No offense I think you are being paranoid. Ask and make sure a master tech oversees your car if it worries you. Really lifetime opinions leave it alone, drain and fill, or complete flush. I would suggest just a drain and fill, tell em you will pay to have em run it and drain/refill it again.
Do you know though what's involved with just a "drain and fill" on these sealed transmissions? It's not just pulling a drain plug and dropping a few quarts down the dipstick (it doesn't even have a dipstick) I've done drain and fills on my previous Lexus, it's easier than changing the oil, but I don't even have the tools for this job (like a dealer scanner that you have to hook to the ECM)

When the Lexus service advisor says "it's a real pain in the *** to change it" and basically tries to steer me away from going forward with it, I think it would be foolish to just assume "I know best, just shut up and do it."

What I want to find out is, is the service advisor just not knowledgeable on this procedure, or is he right and Toyota/Lexus do indeed have a transmission fluid that is truly lifetime and I'm more likely to damage the tranny by forcing a service that Lexus doesn't recommend.
Old 09-26-12, 05:38 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I don't know about tranny fluid changes, it can't be brain surgery though. In no way did I mean to offend ya, sorry, I ain't assuming jack,I have just driven this car 130k and have asked your same question and gotten a couple of opinions. My Lexus guy says flush at 150k no probs, my toyota guy who I take it to said drain and fill. Not real fond of leaving it in lifetime, what is lifetime my cars going 300k I hope? Every body got an opinion sounds like you are fine leaving it in, see very few post on failed trannys so you are prolly right to just let it ride!

Previous owner before me did a drain and fill at 55 k at Lexus of Palm springs, I did a drain and fill at 150 k, prolly do another at 200k tranny shifts perfect at 180K. There is so much competition to have less service/save money/sell cars to keep up with the Jones/Kia I am sceptical of these extended/none service routines. A patient/master GM tech of mine said they are now telling the techs to set the oil change reminders back to 5000k instead of 7500k on the 3.6 V6's the workhorse of the SUV/GM most popular engine to offset the higher incidence of timing chain replacements they are experiencing, get my drift.
Old 09-26-12, 05:46 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

"Suggest" is way different than "shut up and do it" as you allude after I read your post again, sorry.
Old 09-26-12, 08:43 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I don't know about tranny fluid changes, it can't be brain surgery though. In no way did I mean to offend ya, sorry, I ain't assuming jack,I have just driven this car 130k and have asked your same question and gotten a couple of opinions. My Lexus guy says flush at 150k no probs, my toyota guy who I take it to said drain and fill. Not real fond of leaving it in lifetime, what is lifetime my cars going 300k I hope? Every body got an opinion sounds like you are fine leaving it in, see very few post on failed trannys so you are prolly right to just let it ride!

Previous owner before me did a drain and fill at 55 k at Lexus of Palm springs, I did a drain and fill at 150 k, prolly do another at 200k tranny shifts perfect at 180K. There is so much competition to have less service/save money/sell cars to keep up with the Jones/Kia I am sceptical of these extended/none service routines. A patient/master GM tech of mine said they are now telling the techs to set the oil change reminders back to 5000k instead of 7500k on the 3.6 V6's the workhorse of the SUV/GM most popular engine to offset the higher incidence of timing chain replacements they are experiencing, get my drift.
No offense taken, I'm normally not the type that worries over service at a dealership.

But if I insist on a service that Lexus doesn't recommend, and my service advisor is hesitant to do it, and the transmission craps out a short time later, my guess is I'm buying a new transmission. I have a nasty knack for trying to fix things when they're not broken.

But it's not inconceivable to think Toyota built a transmission that doesn't need the fluid changed. It's basically just a sealed hydraulic pump.
Old 09-28-12, 03:31 PM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 2004 LS430 transmission replaced at under 70,000 miles.
Old 09-28-12, 03:42 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by loughery
I had my 2004 LS430 transmission replaced at under 70,000 miles.
What did it cost to replace? Did they give you any idea of what caused the failure?
Old 10-01-12, 09:05 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my 04 with 102k, it was not one of the cars affected by the recall. I did have the TSB performed that covered the shift pattern massage - made a difference, the car shifted more smoothly at lower speeds. I asked as well about the trans flush/service and I was also dissuaded from doing by the dealer.

After reading a ton on this forum though, I was convinced that I needed to do it as I, like many here, plan to run the car to at least 200K, so lifetime for the original owner is not the same as lifetime for us. I took my car (@ 135K) to an independent mechanic (Morty's in Chantilly, VA) who has done all my general stuff and they did it without issue. They said the trans fluid was dark but not catastrophic, but certainly worth changing out. Who know how much longer I could have milked it, but now I can sleep at night.

The dealer, FYI, quoted a 4k to replace a transmission if I ever needed one. The service, well, it's a bit cheaper!
Old 10-14-12, 10:14 AM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Lexus dealer was shocked that it had to be replaced at this mileage. The cost was almost $5000 but covered by a maintenance plan I wisely bought from the dealership...it already paid for itself.
Old 10-14-12, 02:53 PM
BradTank
Racer

Originally Posted by gstern1994
I bought my 04 with 102k, it was not one of the cars affected by the recall. I did have the TSB performed that covered the shift pattern massage - made a difference, the car shifted more smoothly at lower speeds. I asked as well about the trans flush/service and I was also dissuaded from doing by the dealer.

After reading a ton on this forum though, I was convinced that I needed to do it as I, like many here, plan to run the car to at least 200K, so lifetime for the original owner is not the same as lifetime for us. I took my car (@ 135K) to an independent mechanic (Morty's in Chantilly, VA) who has done all my general stuff and they did it without issue. They said the trans fluid was dark but not catastrophic, but certainly worth changing out. Who know how much longer I could have milked it, but now I can sleep at night.

The dealer, FYI, quoted a 4k to replace a transmission if I ever needed one. The service, well, it's a bit cheaper!
I also want to get the updated flash that changes the way it shifts at low speeds, I don't think it's ever been done to my car (if it has, I'd hate to see what it was like before) The throttle "tip in" is way too aggressive. I have a lot of low speeds turns in my surrounding neighborhood, and it's almost like driving a stick, you have to be very delicate with the throttle or you get a sort "whipsaw" action.

Any idea what it costs to get the update, and if there's anyway to see if it's been done yet?

Last edited by BradTank; 10-14-12 at 07:34 PM.