LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Probably not the Forum to ask, but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-12, 11:18 AM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I use a 2008 BMW 528xi as my winter car. It's not quite as refined/smooth/quiet as the Lex but I would go as far to say that it's almost just as reliable. Car is very nicely built, interior is a nice place to be with minimal squeaks and rattles. AWD system is very capable (I have yet to get stuck in MI or IL where I go to school).
Old 09-30-12, 06:13 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
How much ya wanna spend?
Under $40K hopefully.
Old 09-30-12, 06:19 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

I picked up an 012 TDI Exec Touareg for $45k with 8 k on it warrantee to 110k was another 1700 bucks. They are assembled on the same plattorm as the Cayenne but not 90k. Not real big It handles real well has push button start, HIDS that swivel, panoramic roof, nice tunes gets 19/28 EPA. I enjoy it very much a little choppy at 25-30 speeds but freeway is nice and ultraluxury and it tows 8k lbs. Otherwise the Q5 is getting the TDI this year I think and Audio's are all the rage. Its even a little smaller than Treg and tows like 2k lbs. Both have 8 speed trannys. Q7's are big. Nissan Murano will not get ya the mileage I think. Acura MDX suck gas, the RDX is nice but kinda small may get 25ish

New cars are really getting quiet and smooth to tell ya the truth. Even a used Ford SHO AWD, Acura TL, Buick LaCrosse Chrysler 300c are worth checking out. Not sure if ya will get 29 mpg without diesel.

The RX450H is nice but pretty boring but they are coming out with an FS design not sure the mileage. BMW x5 are everywhere they make a Diesel and up for complete rebuild in 014. I see alot of Hyundai Santa Fe's. Good luck I love the 406 lbs of torque and MPG of my Touareg, check it out!!
I think we will! I'd read some good stuff on the Touareg.
Old 09-30-12, 06:25 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing the LS430 with an AWD vehicle

I will take the Outback I think its an upgrade from the Forester. I was in my brothers Outback yesterday nice vehicle SUV of year in 010. Jab you really like the Forester, huh.

I drive in the snow alot. With traction control and Stab track I get thru 6-8 inches of snow many times. Up steeper icey hills from a slow start not happening in the LS though.

New2this how much you gonna spend on a car/suv?
We'd like to stay under 40K and here in Sequim there's not that much snow but the roads do get icey. The one thing terrific about the Subaru's is their AWD, but as far as much 'cush' goes, I'd say not much. I know, I know, you can't have everything. We'll keep searching. If nothing else, it will most likely 'wear' us down. Thanks for the input. We appreciate it.
Old 09-30-12, 06:27 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing the LS430 w/and AWD vehicle

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I use a 2008 BMW 528xi as my winter car. It's not quite as refined/smooth/quiet as the Lex but I would go as far to say that it's almost just as reliable. Car is very nicely built, interior is a nice place to be with minimal squeaks and rattles. AWD system is very capable (I have yet to get stuck in MI or IL where I go to school).
Interesting and Thanks!
Old 09-30-12, 06:33 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacing the LS430 w/an AWD vehicle

Originally Posted by Jabberwock
If I needed a snow and ice vehicle in a 4x4 car it would almost certainly be a Subaru Forester for something smaller or a Honda Pilot if I needed something bigger.
I'm going to check out the Pilot as well. I've got the CRV now, but that will also get sold along with the LS430. Hubby's got the Nissan truck and we're wanting to get down to 2 cars total. Hard getting it all, but quality, comfort, AWD are all important this time around. The CRV has been great so I imagine the Pilot might add some cush. Thanks again!
Old 10-01-12, 04:58 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Cad and others had a good suggestion, there is no AWD cushier than the RX the RX450h for 40g's might be s stretch but I bet you could get a new simple gas around 40 ish. Good luck
Old 10-01-12, 04:30 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I'd scrub the Pilot. 5 speed tranny only, with history of major recalls(hopefully fixed) turns me off, 18 25 EPA. The RX is rated at 18 24 so if your prerequisite is 29 hwy go figure.

I am not kidding look at the Touareg updated in 011 it is smaller though but seats and ride and handling can't be beat.. The older design has a less than spectacular reliability rating (overblown)but the new ones are pretty good. I think they are 19/28 and ours gets 30 ish hwy all day at 70, 25 plus city/hwy. Seems like folks do not associate VW with ultraluxury SUV's but this SUV is smokin hot and can be gotten relatively cheap if ya look, chaepa mans porsche cayenne. TDI all the way diesel is cheaper than Premium and you have to run Urea but it is not that expensive and 406 ft lbs of torques is pretty fun. Doesn't stink at all!!

X5 diesel is smokin hot also just a 6 speed instead of n eighA it is usually pretty close. RX 450h a good choice with your parameters.
Old 10-01-12, 04:42 PM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

If you want reliability, I suggest you stay away from the Touareg.
Old 10-01-12, 04:50 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Really 29 mpg I would stay away from an SUV.
Old 10-01-12, 05:20 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

ya know whatt I really liked was the Toyota Venza. The 4 cyl will get good MPG good ride nice and soft and wide shoulder oom and back lid for HWY cruising, check that one out prolly get fully loaded for 30 ish
Old 10-01-12, 07:25 PM
LS400TX
Rookie

Get a Q7 Audi, but forget 29MPGs, other than that is pretty comfy car for winter, had it in Canada and like it.
Old 10-01-12, 07:39 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say cush and AWD, go with the 2nd gen RX, preferably the '07+ RX350. I felt that ride and interior was better than current gen RX350. You'd find them way under $40K at this point and reliability is Lexus, so 'nuff said.
Old 10-03-12, 04:29 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I guess if yur looking for a real 29 mpg with a few on and off the freeways yur gonna have to be a bit choosey but 7 speed and 8 speed trannys help As hypervish said the Touargeg TDI has a checkered reliability history. The Passat is 012 car of the year the Touareg is fully redone since the 04-010 T1 and T2 and VW sales are stronger. Hopefully, though I got an extended warrantee, the T3 TDI is an improved VW and is very fun to drive. Diesel is real popular in Europe and the X5, Touareg,MB Blue Tec can be had a year old with like 8-10 k miles without totally breaking the bank, well that is relative. No smell little clatter just have to have a paradigm shift in thinking. road tests are free.
Old 10-03-12, 07:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by New2this
Under $40K hopefully.
To me, I would get a Subaru Outback. You can get one really well equipped (read, loaded) for under $40k. I drove one back before we got our Jeep (the Jeep rides really well actually...but the gas mileage would kill you) and they ride very well (not as well as an LS, nothing rides like an LS...including any other Lexus), yet they have the ground clearance you're looking for coupled with good fuel economy you won't get out of any SUV or crossover vehicle.

Go drive an Outback...

Quick Reply: Probably not the Forum to ask, but....