malrafe3i
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i prefer to travel with my LS
Old 10-03-12, 01:42 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would have to agree with warminwisc and recommend the Venza but with a V6 and not the 4 cyl model. Its basically a SUV body on a car chassis so you will need the extra torque that the V6 gives you and you'll get mileage similar to the LS. Being on a car chassis you will get a good ride and all models of the vehicle offer AWD for the very rare times that you will get snow up there in Sequim. Going over some of the passes on I-5 in southern Oregon and northern California will require some pre-planning or AWD in the winter of course.
This conversation is interesting to me cause we own two LS 430 and am thinking of moving up from S. Calif to the Bainbridge Isl. area near Sequim. I would not want to run both 430's up there so we would get rid of the '02, keep the '05 and get a SUV or similar car for everyday use. The vehicles that we are considering are the Highlander and the Venza with the wife leaning toward the Venza and me toward the Highlander. Both vehicles will do the job plus you get good resale and low maintenance with Toyota.
Old 10-03-12, 05:42 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The venza is a softer ride and wide. the Highlander is wide and real deep/high but you will get some concrete span porpousing? unlike the venza as the Highlander is rated to tow 5k lbs thus the stiffer suspension and really tops for towing in otherwise a 3500 class. Only way to get close to 29 is the 4 cyl. Toyota 4's are bomber if ya want MPG/reliability not passing. How related to LS same company.

LS hybrid diesel AWD is my vote.

The outback is real nice just not as smooth as Venza IMO
Old 10-03-12, 09:47 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

See, I HATED the Venza. I thought it rode terribly, it was loud, terribly cheap interior (like all new Toyotas, terrible interior material quality). I thought the Outback rode much better than the Venza, and had a much nicer interior.
Old 10-04-12, 05:29 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by warminwisc
I guess if yur looking for a real 29 mpg with a few on and off the freeways yur gonna have to be a bit choosey but 7 speed and 8 speed trannys help As hypervish said the Touargeg TDI has a checkered reliability history. The Passat is 012 car of the year the Touareg is fully redone since the 04-010 T1 and T2 and VW sales are stronger. Hopefully, though I got an extended warrantee, the T3 TDI is an improved VW and is very fun to drive. Diesel is real popular in Europe and the X5, Touareg,MB Blue Tec can be had a year old with like 8-10 k miles without totally breaking the bank, well that is relative. No smell little clatter just have to have a paradigm shift in thinking. road tests are free.
You've got a point about the road tests. Thanks.
Old 10-04-12, 05:31 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by malrafe3i
That's exactly my point. But what would you replace it with if you had to? RX350 or RX450h?
Old 10-05-12, 05:10 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Not me for winter travels LS has never let me down with stab trac and trac control. P3's would be bullet proof for 6-8 inch snows and usually with plows that all yur gonna see scraped off and windblown. Stab trac is so safe man unless you are aggressive driving on ice...even then.

Both those Lexus's give me vision sitting up higher, great, but unless I am on a back snowy road nothing else. This is after like 3 tests drives in the RX only not the "H". Really the LS gets great gas mileage as I get routinely 25 -26 MPG now with 80/20 driving since I got the Treg it is hard to beat.
Old 10-06-12, 04:08 PM
Michaeldc
Driver School Candidate

You should look at the Toyota Venza really nice
Old 10-07-12, 01:37 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

get a land cruiser, very good resell value and has very low maintenance and can go anywhare I MEAN ANYWHARE!!!.
Old 10-07-12, 01:39 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by malrafe3i
yea of course you do, it never snows in Bahrain. Shes looking for something for something to drive in squeim whare it does snow.
Old 10-08-12, 09:05 AM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LSGarry
I would have to agree with warminwisc and recommend the Venza but with a V6 and not the 4 cyl model. Its basically a SUV body on a car chassis so you will need the extra torque that the V6 gives you and you'll get mileage similar to the LS. Being on a car chassis you will get a good ride and all models of the vehicle offer AWD for the very rare times that you will get snow up there in Sequim. Going over some of the passes on I-5 in southern Oregon and northern California will require some pre-planning or AWD in the winter of course.
This conversation is interesting to me cause we own two LS 430 and am thinking of moving up from S. Calif to the Bainbridge Isl. area near Sequim. I would not want to run both 430's up there so we would get rid of the '02, keep the '05 and get a SUV or similar car for everyday use. The vehicles that we are considering are the Highlander and the Venza with the wife leaning toward the Venza and me toward the Highlander. Both vehicles will do the job plus you get good resale and low maintenance with Toyota.
Your comments are interesting as well. We thought we would use the LS more than we do up here. It remains in the garage under a good car cover while we drive the Honda CRV (for me) and he runs around in his Nissan Frontier (w/4-wheel dr for the rare occasions needed). After moving from California ourselves, having the LS is just no longer the car of choice up here. However we want a cushy ride w/good mileage for when we do take those road trips back to Calif to see the kids and all. You will find, if you do move up here to Bainbridge, the car of choice for most GNW folks is the Outback or Forrester. Just about everyone owns a Subaru--that is no joke either! Old oe new, they flood the roads, all 100 of them. That's a joke. 100 cars is a LOT of cars up here. Bainbridge folks are just like Sequim folks in regards to cars. Thanks for your comments.
Old 10-08-12, 09:08 AM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

We will check them out. The Venza and the Highlander!
Old 10-08-12, 09:22 AM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Another point, living up here in Sequim, is that it's 2 hours from any Lexus dealer in Seattle or Tacoma. One has to take a Ferry as well to Seattle. Neither issues are huge but when you want a quick maintenance visit to the dealer, you really have to work at it. Living on the Olympic Peninsula limits the car choices somewhat. Most are available locally except for Lexus, Volvo, and a few others. Such is life when one lives in Paradise.

Still searching but have to do some more test drives. We thought we would sell one car and then trade in the other but it's becoming apparent the LS will be harder to sell than the CRV. Maybe we'll sell the CRV and trade in the Lexus. Just not that many people shopping on the Peninsula for an LS.
Old 10-09-12, 03:53 PM
LSGarry
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Subaru Outback/Forrester is the state car of both Oregon and Washington no?? =))

I think attitudes change from the "look at me and what I'm driving" of Southern California to the practicality of the NW. Its not going to be easy to get my wife out of her LS as she has gotten spoiled. Good point about not having much of a market for LS's up there too. But if we were to keep it I'd take it to a yota dealer in Bremerton and you could take yours to the dealer in Port Angeles.

Another point is that gas prices here in LA are just approaching $5.00 PG so good mileage will be a must. I think you can still find gas under $4.00 up there.

Still like the Venza or Highlander.
Old 10-09-12, 07:35 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I see the Equinox all over. Under 28k, zero to 60 in 12 seconds but great gas mileage and it has to have some merits I see so many of them. I hated it.

Quick Reply: Probably not the Forum to ask, but....