LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Probably not the Forum to ask, but....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-12, 03:52 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Probably not the Forum to ask, but....

My husband and I own a 2002 LS430 we purchased new in California. We now live in Washington state and will be selling it with 63,000 original miles on it. Our questions is this...we'd like to purchase a vehicle for long runs to California and back, with a "ride" that is at least half of what our LS430 has. Obviously, as you LS430 owners all know, that is a hard one to come by; however, I would still love some feedback as to first hand experience with what to replace it with. We live in Sequim and would like the new cushy vehicle to have AWD and really don't want to get into a huge SUV. Our 430 gets almost 29mpg on the highway, so that's another obstacle. Any feedback for a replacement?

Would appreciate what you have to say.

Signed,
Old 09-28-12, 04:06 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Ls460 AWD. Closest animal.
Old 09-28-12, 04:18 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. Recommended with personal experience, in cold winters?
Old 09-28-12, 05:36 PM
Gannet
Driver School Candidate

Keep the 430, buy another set of wheels (search OriginalWheels) and put a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins on them. You will be amazed at what these tires will do in snow. Have the dealer swap the wheel/tire sets in spring and fall. AWD is simply not necessary, and you'll never match the capabilities of what you have with another car.

At least give the Alpins a try before trading your car, what have you got to lose? Just my suggestion. Good luck!
Old 09-28-12, 05:42 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

How much ya wanna spend?
Old 09-28-12, 06:32 PM
Gannet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by warminwisc
How much ya wanna spend?
That's always the question, isn't it?

If the winter tire suggestion doesn't do it, and the 460 is too expensive, you could also look at a Mercedes E or S-class with 4Matic. As is typical for German iron, they depreciate pretty badly once off warranty and yet it's not hard to find low-miles examples that are dealer serviced. They won't ride as well or be as reliable as the Lexus, but they're probably the next closest thing in AWD. The E-class is the more reliable of the two.
Old 09-28-12, 07:05 PM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I suggest a Lexus AWD LX450h, new or CPO. It's not an overly large SUV and the hybrid powertrain should deliver mileage in the upper 20s. If you want a non-premium AWD sedan, consider a new or late model Subaru Legacy.

For winter use, I'm currently driving a Honda Ridgeline pickup. It has a surprisingly smooth ride, good seat comfort, and plenty of interior and cargo room. I'm averaging 21 MPG on regular gas and 80%+ highway use, which is better than most folks with these trucks. The only drawback with the truck is its hit-with-an-ugly-stick styling.
Old 09-28-12, 07:45 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I picked up an 012 TDI Exec Touareg for $45k with 8 k on it warrantee to 110k was another 1700 bucks. They are assembled on the same plattorm as the Cayenne but not 90k. Not real big It handles real well has push button start, HIDS that swivel, panoramic roof, nice tunes gets 19/28 EPA. I enjoy it very much a little choppy at 25-30 speeds but freeway is nice and ultraluxury and it tows 8k lbs. Otherwise the Q5 is getting the TDI this year I think and Audio's are all the rage. Its even a little smaller than Treg and tows like 2k lbs. Both have 8 speed trannys. Q7's are big. Nissan Murano will not get ya the mileage I think. Acura MDX suck gas, the RDX is nice but kinda small may get 25ish

New cars are really getting quiet and smooth to tell ya the truth. Even a used Ford SHO AWD, Acura TL, Buick LaCrosse Chrysler 300c are worth checking out. Not sure if ya will get 29 mpg without diesel.

The RX450H is nice but pretty boring but they are coming out with an FS design not sure the mileage. BMW x5 are everywhere they make a Diesel and up for complete rebuild in 014. I see alot of Hyundai Santa Fe's. Good luck I love the 406 lbs of torque and MPG of my Touareg, check it out!!
Old 09-28-12, 07:47 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

the SUbaru's are nice but not luxury they always seem a little unrefined to me, but nice in their Subaru way.
Old 09-29-12, 06:26 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the suggestion with the tires. Still.....,the 430 rides pretty low for snow and the last thing we want is for some (?) to slide into us, and you know the rest. No,...we are hoping to get both--Ha! The RIDE and the AWD. speaking of "RIDES", we have had a great one with the LS430. LOVE that car!
Old 09-29-12, 06:30 PM
New2this
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Gannet
Keep the 430, buy another set of wheels (search OriginalWheels) and put a set of Michelin Pilot Alpins on them. You will be amazed at what these tires will do in snow. Have the dealer swap the wheel/tire sets in spring and fall. AWD is simply not necessary, and you'll never match the capabilities of what you have with another car.

At least give the Alpins a try before trading your car, what have you got to lose? Just my suggestion. Good luck!
New2this Thanks for the suggestion with the tires. Still.....,the 430 rides pretty low for snow and the last thing we want is for some (?) to slide into us, and you know the rest. No,...we are hoping to get both--Ha! The RIDE and the AWD. speaking of "RIDES", we have had a great one with the LS430. LOVE that car!
Old 09-29-12, 08:39 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

If I needed a snow and ice vehicle in a 4x4 car it would almost certainly be a Subaru Forester for something smaller or a Honda Pilot if I needed something bigger.
Old 09-30-12, 05:03 AM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

I will take the Outback I think its an upgrade from the Forester. I was in my brothers Outback yesterday nice vehicle SUV of year in 010. Jab you really like the Forester, huh.

I drive in the snow alot. With traction control and Stab track I get thru 6-8 inches of snow many times. Up steeper icey hills from a slow start not happening in the LS though.

New2this how much you gonna spend on a car/suv?
Old 09-30-12, 10:15 AM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

IMOP,I think u should step up to the AWD 460 and you will get all that u are looking for and more.
Old 09-30-12, 10:40 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Take a look at the Lexus RX450h.

Quick Reply: Probably not the Forum to ask, but....