LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Water Repellent Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 11:57 AM
05ls430nj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
Just out of curiosity, what does an OEM windshield from Lexus cost? It has to be crazy expensive.
I remember it was over $2,000 dollars.
Old 10-18-12, 12:30 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

The glass company told me just over $2,000. The local dealer quoted me $1,699 for the part only.
Old 10-18-12, 12:42 PM
LexusJoey
Pit Crew

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

The dealer told me $1400. My insurance replaced mine with 3rd party glass.

I noticed there is some type of repellent on the factory glass. It's not rain-x, but it's better than just glass.
If both oem and 3rd party glass is dirty, I notice the oem still beads some water. The 3rd party smears the water so you can't see out.
Old 10-18-12, 01:28 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 154 Posts

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lex...ter-Protection
--------------------
WATER-REPELLENT FRONT DOOR GLASS
This feature has been around for the better part of a decade, and in current models it’s found on the front driver and passenger windows. “It’s a titanium-silica coating on the glass that helps make water bead up and run off, making it easier to see through the window and to see your mirrors when it’s raining,” says Charles Hubbard, senior dealer education administrator for Lexus College. “The effect is similar to what those aftermarket window treatments can do.”

The difference, of course, is that unlike some aftermarket products, this titanium-silica coating is permanent; it never needs to be reapplied, and it requires no special treatment. Just clean it as you would the rest of your glass.

Water-repellent glass is a subtle innovation, but one that’s easily appreciated by simply comparing the side-by-side behavior of water on the front and rear passenger windows; on the front, rain will bead up and roll off quickly, whereas on the rear, the water tends to sheet.

Incidentally, this is a reason to insist on genuine Lexus parts if you ever need a window replaced, as an aftermarket product likely won’t have this treatment.
--------------------

My 2002 LS430 UL definitely has water-repelling glass and it still works. The windshield beads slightly less in the wiper sweep zone, so either the permanent titanium-silica coating wore away slightly, or the wiper blades left a microscopic residue/deposit over the years. Outside of the wiper sweep zone, water beads very well.

Every other piece of glass on the car beads water extremely well, so I don't think it was limited to front door glass, at least for the Canadian 2002 model. The side and back windows bead so well that when I wash the car and spray water on the windows, the water just bounces off and the glass is difficult to get wet.

I've never used Rain-X or Aquapel.
Old 06-25-13, 05:58 PM
wgawriter
Driver School Candidate

Don't be fooled. My 350ES windshield was just replaced and does not repel water. It is, however, OEM equivalent and cost about $500 to replace. You can pay for the Lexus insignia that is etched into the glass in the lower driver's side corner, but the glass will be the same. A "Lexus" windshield will run around $1500, and Lexus will not install it themselves but shop it out. Just make sure the auto glass shop confirms that the windshield they install is OEM equivalent, which they must do by law. I live in Southern California where I encounter minimal rainfall.
Old 06-25-13, 11:45 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My old 04 430 had the WR OEM glass replaced prior to my purchase, no Lexus logo on glass. New 430 04 has OEM glass logo and there is a difference.

Supposedly OEM glass retards radar detector function FWIW. No tickets yet.
Old 06-26-13, 09:07 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by wgawriter
Don't be fooled. My 350ES windshield was just replaced and does not repel water. It is, however, OEM equivalent and cost about $500 to replace. You can pay for the Lexus insignia that is etched into the glass in the lower driver's side corner, but the glass will be the same. A "Lexus" windshield will run around $1500, and Lexus will not install it themselves but shop it out. Just make sure the auto glass shop confirms that the windshield they install is OEM equivalent, which they must do by law. I live in Southern California where I encounter minimal rainfall.
There is no such thing as "OEM equivalent" if it isn't factory glass. All replacement glass is now made in China and is crap. Glass providers are registered by the DOT and assigned a DOT number which basically identifies who and where the glass is made. The numbers are assigned numerically. LS430 glass is DOT 20 and make in Japan. With all American glass companies moving their purchasing to China the replacement for my 04 is DOT 680s or thereabouts. Its junk and is sold for $300 and I am refusing to have it installed. The Chinese glass may show an American glass company on the windshield, as only the DOT number will reveal who and where it is actually manufactured.

By the way, all car manufactures DO NOT purchase their OEM from Chinese suppliers. The reason being that most of the new cars would be returned when the drivers get dizzy looking out the poor windows. "OEM equivalent" is a buzz word invented by insurance companies. Don't be deceived by that.
Old 06-26-13, 09:55 AM
Tmarbury
Driver School Candidate

Default Replacement windshield

I had mine replaced by my insurance co. My reason; OEM windshield comes with a special tint and it maintains my resale value. Replacement windshield was$1,700.00 dollars (Sewell Lexus online; before your CL discount).
Old 06-26-13, 09:55 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

theres never been a truer word spoken.chinese glass is CRAP!
Old 06-28-13, 12:27 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Default LS430 OEM Windshield vs Aftermarket

2001 LS430 windshield replaced with aftermarket, cost $350 - insurance claim. Rain sensor sensed it raining all the time. State Farm authorized second replacement with OEM glass at just over $2000 installed at Dealer. Fixed rain sensor problem, and now I know why I don't have to apply Rain-X, because it beads up like I have applied it. Must be that titanium-silica treatment.
Old 07-01-13, 10:05 PM
wgawriter
Driver School Candidate

So far I am very satisfied with my FY glass replacement windshield. Product made in China is not, by definition, crap. It's not like "Made in Japan" in the 1950s and 1960s. Aside from the Lexus logo etched in the glass, I can't see any difference. The size, tint, look, everything is the same. No wavy areas, soundproofing the same, looks identical to all the other glass. Safelite is the biggest auto glass company in the US, and it wouldn't be in business for long if it continually put junk glass in luxury cars. Unless you pay for a rider on your insurance that requires your company to use manufacture replacement glass, they have the right to use OEM equivalent. State laws are very specific about your right to have your insurance company replace your windshield with OEM glass. By the way, Lexus regularly changes its manufacturer of its glass. The odds of your getting the SAME windshield is slim to none unless you get one from a junkyard.
Old 07-02-13, 04:10 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 122 Posts

So far I am very satisfied with my FY glass replacement windshield. Product made in China is not, by definition, crap. It's not like "Made in Japan" in the 1950s and 1960s. Aside from the Lexus logo etched in the glass, I can't see any difference. The size, tint, look, everything is the same. No wavy areas, soundproofing the same, looks identical to all the other glass. Safelite is the biggest auto glass company in the US, and it wouldn't be in business for long if it continually put junk glass in luxury cars. Unless you pay for a rider on your insurance that requires your company to use manufacture replacement glass, they have the right to use OEM equivalent. State laws are very specific about your right to have your insurance company replace your windshield with OEM glass. By the way, Lexus regularly changes its manufacturer of its glass. The odds of your getting the SAME windshield is slim to none unless you get one from a junkyard.
brought to you by the CEO of safelite auto glass co.
Old 07-02-13, 06:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

By the way, Lexus regularly changes its manufacturer of its glass. The odds of your getting the SAME windshield is slim to none unless you get one from a junkyard.
Actually every Lexus I have owned, going back to 1998 has had Aashi glass. You can see the manufacturer on the etching label... it says "AGC", Aashi Glass Corporation". RX's built in Canada have Pilkington glass.

I have never sat in a Lexus that did not have Aashi glass, and I do actually look believe it or not.

I just have had too many bad experiences with aftermarket glass to ever allow one to be put in my vehicle again. I was very clear with my insurance company, any dollar out of my pocket towards the windshield would be a dollar that would not go to a premium with them and they would loose my business, auto, home, life, and liability. My OEM windshield was approved.
Old 07-02-13, 06:44 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
brought to you by the CEO of safelite auto glass co.

Safelite is probably the worst glass available.

PPG and Pilkington is better aftermarket glass but OEM is the best.
Old 07-02-13, 06:50 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

All you really need to know is that auto manufacturers do not procure their OEM glass from the after market Chinese suppliers. Lexus does not put a $300 windshield in their new cars. Go figure.

Quick Reply: Water Repellent Windshield