LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Water Repellent Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-13, 11:59 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts

I'd love someone knowledgeable to give a rundown of what glass brands are good quality vs junk. I'm definitely in the camp that anything from China is suspect. I would think something like PPG though would be fine as it's OEM for many car companies.

I'm sure a windshield from a Lexus dealer is the best, but $2,000 is a lot of coin for a windshield. I could care less about an option like "rain resistant" coatings. I'll put some Rain-X on it and call it a day.

My situation is I have a windshield that's sand pitted, but has no cracks in it. I'd like to have it replaced as sometimes visibility is an issue, but I doubt my insurance is going to spring for a Lexus windshield.
Old 07-02-13, 12:20 PM
ddmavis
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The reason I went with Lexus glass was the rain sensor would not work properly with the cheaper glass due to less clarity.
Old 07-02-13, 12:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Issue is even within the same brand quality varies depending on replacement vs OEM.
Old 07-02-13, 07:03 PM
Kweigel
Rookie

Default Ppg yes, Xyg no.

Pig glass works with the rain sensor. I have it in my car right now. Xyg glass (from XingYang province in China) does not work. I had it in my car, and found out the hard way. The wipers became intermittent, with no rain-sensing. The shop had to replace it with Ppg. Wipers were immediately once again rain-sensing.
Old 07-02-13, 07:15 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
I'd love someone knowledgeable to give a rundown of what glass brands are good quality vs junk. I'm definitely in the camp that anything from China is suspect. I would think something like PPG though would be fine as it's OEM for many car companies.

I'm sure a windshield from a Lexus dealer is the best, but $2,000 is a lot of coin for a windshield. I could care less about an option like "rain resistant" coatings. I'll put some Rain-X on it and call it a day.

My situation is I have a windshield that's sand pitted, but has no cracks in it. I'd like to have it replaced as sometimes visibility is an issue, but I doubt my insurance is going to spring for a Lexus windshield.
The DOT number on the windshield will allow you to determine the manufacturing site. Go to the DOT web page and you can find a table that shows the assigned DOT number, the manufacturer, and the place of manufacturer. They are listed chronoligically. Lexus is No. 20 for OEM since inception. Just look at the window of any new Lexus. That windshield is mfg in Japan. Replacement windshields my list the mfg as an American Co such as PPG, but the DOT number may be a more recently issued DOT number in the 600-700 range. The DOT table will show that while it is still listed as a PPG glass, it is actually manufactured somewhere in China. Consequently the difference in cost of $1800 vs $300 by Safelite and most all insurance companies. If you think the replacement glass is equivalent to OEM, then consider why the auto companies do not purchase the cheaper glass and install in their new cars.

The answer is simple. The Chinese glass is pure junk and the auto industry knows it. The insurance companies are just plan ripping off the public with their junk.

Did you know that when you have a glass breakage and report it to your insurance company, that the number you dial is Safelite. They have a contract with most insurance companies to administer their glass damage claims. They even have the right to deny you replacement with an OEM glass. I speak from experience and am not a happy camper.
Old 07-03-13, 08:29 AM
bobbyg49
Driver School Candidate

How does one go about confirming the windshield is water repellent? Mine appears to be as it and the windows bead water great. Would love to know the cost as well.

04 black UL
Old 07-08-13, 03:13 PM
wgawriter
Driver School Candidate

All windows on my 2011 350ES have water repellent windows. This is not a new feature for Lexus. The water is repelled by a titanium layer that is put on the glass when manufactured. It is not from a product like Rain-X that has to be continually put on the glass. I am presently battling with the glass companies and my insurance company. By law they have to replace the glass with OEM or Original Equipment Manufacturer equivalent. Don't let them replace the windshield with cheap glass. Do some Internet research on OEM glass.
Old 07-08-13, 03:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by wgawriter
All windows on my 2011 350ES have water repellent windows. This is not a new feature for Lexus. The water is repelled by a titanium layer that is put on the glass when manufactured.
Actually no, only your front door windows are rain repellant, the rest of the windows and windshield are not.

By law they have to replace the glass with OEM or Original Equipment Manufacturer equivalent. Don't let them replace the windshield with cheap glass. Do some Internet research on OEM glass.
The key word is "equivalent". That word lets them use pretty much whatever glass they want, you just have to convince them your business is worth popping for the OEM glass.
Old 07-15-13, 11:51 PM
wgawriter
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SW13GS
Actually no, only your front door windows are rain repellant, the rest of the windows and windshield are not.

The key word is "equivalent". That word lets them use pretty much whatever glass they want, you just have to convince them your business is worth popping for the OEM glass.

ALL of the windows on my 2011 350 Lexus are water repellent. Not only is this stated in the owner's manual, but it's obvious when the car is washed. Water beads up on ALL the windows. Second, the word "equivalent" means just that - the windshield has to be the SAME specs and features as the one that is being replaced. OE Lexus glass will come from the Lexus dealer, while OEM glass is only made by Pilkington. It's the same as OE but does not have the Lexus logo etched into the glass. I had my windshield replaced this afternoon, it's OE glass from Lexus, at a cost of $1600. My insurance paid for all but my $250 deductible. Read section 2695.8(g) of Fair Claims Settlement Practices Regulations].