LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Water Repellent Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-12, 09:30 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Water Repellent Windshield

I have searched all over and I cant really find a straight definitive answer. A rock hit my windshield and broke it and it needs to be replaced. I have a 2002 LS430 and in the online brochure on this site (cant print it out) it clearly states "Water Repellent Windshield and front side windows". I found that also on wiki stating they added it in the jump from 400 to 430. I've never driven a car that sheds water like the windows on this car and my windshield is very pitted from road debris. I have never put anything on the windows.

The reason I'm asking is so when I do battle with my insurance company I need some ammo. I called Lexus customer service and they said they cant confirm it. What? Cant confirm what came as standard equipment on one of their cars?? I realize its 10 years old but so what. I cant believe they cant reference a brochure (he said he didnt have access to them before 2004 or 2006. It seems as though they only have one windshield they sell for the car and I spoke to 3 dealers and none of them heard about it being a water repellent windshield.

Is the replacement lexus windshield actually water repellent and if it is, how can I prove it to my insurance company? I know they are allowed to use aftermarket glass but if in fact mine is water repellent and the aftermarket ones are not (which I have found thy are not) then they have to spring for an OEM windshield.
Old 10-17-12, 10:13 AM
05ls430nj
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my 05 LS430 windshield replaced by Lexus, It was Lexus glass, with Lexus logo on it, paid by insurance company, the glass was NOT water repellent.
Old 10-17-12, 10:19 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Even the 2005 brochure states water repellent glass????
Old 10-17-12, 11:38 AM
loughery
Driver School Candidate

I'm about to replace the windshield on my 2004 LS430 due to all breaks and nicks from the DC roads. I was not aware of the "repellent" windshields...so I will follow this for sure. Also thinking I should wait until after the winter to replace it, but am 50/50 on this thought.
Old 10-17-12, 12:30 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Default Take it anywhere

I cant wait to replace mine. It started as a chip and within a couple of days its a crack about 2 feet long like a frown to the bottom of the windshield on both ends of it.

I was told by my insurance company (State Farm) to take it anywhere I wanted. They said I could take it to Lexus if I wanted but any glass company can order OEM Lexus glass. They said to just tell whomever I have do the work to use OEM glass not replacement glass. If I had the time during the day I would take it to Lexus but that's too much trouble (dropping off the car, getting a loaner, picking it up, etc.) I dont live or work near a Lexus dealership. I would rather have them come to my office and do it in our heated shop where I can see whats going on if need be.

I called safelite and they said they would get a confirmation on when the glass would be available and call me to schedule the appointment.
Old 10-17-12, 12:35 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Default Clip from a website stating the water repellent glass

Third-generation LS 430 cabin (UCF30).
The LS 430 interior featured walnut wood trim on the dashboard and upper doors, along with semi-aniline leather and oscillating air conditioning vents.[60][62] A liquid crystal display touchscreen on the center console was incorporated with the DVD-based GPS navigation system, which added voice recognition capability. New options ranged from a Mark Levinson premium sound system to laser cruise control.[60][68] In its highest trim specification, the LS 430 included Lexus Link telematics, power door and trunk closers, heated and cooled front seats, and power reclining massage rear seats equipped with audio controls, power sunshade, a cooler, and air purifier.[43][62] Several rear seat features adopted for the LS 430 had been previously available in Japanese market luxury vehicles.[67] Safety features added to the LS 430 included front and rear side curtain airbags, park sensors, rain-sensing windshield wipers, and electronic brakeforce distribution.[43] The vehicle also gained water repellent windshield and side glass.[43]
Old 10-17-12, 01:28 PM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 168 Likes on 128 Posts

my 06 has repellant glass.ive owned over 30 cars in my life and never had a windshield repel water other then this lexus.i clean my windshield almost every day and i do not apply any rainx or any thing to my windshield and it is always slick.ive had it for 2 and half years.dont know if lexus still puts a repellant in the mix when they make them now or not.
Old 10-17-12, 03:36 PM
Michaeldc
Driver School Candidate

What ever you do do not use safelite. Go to a body shop get a estimate and make a appointment. The body shop will provide you with a free rental for that day. As for my 05 ls430 I believe I have water repellent windows. I have never put on rain x on em. And my windshield and side glass just beads the water.
Old 10-17-12, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by loughery
I'm about to replace the windshield on my 2004 LS430 due to all breaks and nicks from the DC roads. I was not aware of the "repellent" windshields...so I will follow this for sure. Also thinking I should wait until after the winter to replace it, but am 50/50 on this thought.
I had my windshield replaced with an OEM one at Lindsay Lexus' collision center in Alexandria. They did a *great* job. I would highly, enthusiastically recommend them and they worked hard to get the OEM glass covered by my insurance company, and let me drive a loaner car for the day to boot while they were doing it. Great folks.
Old 10-17-12, 06:55 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I wouldn't trust State Farm. When I tried to have my 92 SC400 windshield replaced, I asked and got a printed confirmation from State Farm that they would authorize replacement by the Lexus dealer. When I took it there to have the windshield replace, they called State Farm and they denied that they would pay for an OEM windshield. I was left to pay the difference or drive away. Just what happened to me.
Old 10-17-12, 07:23 PM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

Well they are coming to me so if I don't see a Lexus windshield, it's a wasted trip for them.

I'll let you know what happens.
Old 10-18-12, 01:49 AM
toyo
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

It doesn't really matter where you take it, 99% of the time the body shop, dealer, etc is going to sublet it out to a glass company.
Old 10-18-12, 04:25 AM
Brewmyown
Pole Position

I'm not taking it anywhere. They are coming to my office to do the work. When you schedule a replacement they ask you if you'd like to request OEM instead of replacement glass. If you state OEM they get preapproval from your insurance company. Once that happens they order the glass from Lexus.
Old 10-18-12, 08:13 AM
eggtart
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmyown
I cant wait to replace mine. It started as a chip and within a couple of days its a crack about 2 feet long like a frown to the bottom of the windshield on both ends of it.

I was told by my insurance company (State Farm) to take it anywhere I wanted. They said I could take it to Lexus if I wanted but any glass company can order OEM Lexus glass. They said to just tell whomever I have do the work to use OEM glass not replacement glass. If I had the time during the day I would take it to Lexus but that's too much trouble (dropping off the car, getting a loaner, picking it up, etc.) I dont live or work near a Lexus dealership. I would rather have them come to my office and do it in our heated shop where I can see whats going on if need be.

I called safelite and they said they would get a confirmation on when the glass would be available and call me to schedule the appointment.
Just a heads up about Safelite. My wife's 2007 BMW 335i needed windshield replacement and I allowed Safelite to come to her work place to fix it. My insurance was paying in full.

THEY DID NOT DO A GOOD JOB. Their workers are contractors and the work is hit/miss. If you get lucky and get a really experienced guy, then you prob get a good job. If you get a noob like I did, they install is horrible. The window molding was installed crooked and excess silicone everywhere. Point is, Safelite has very little quality control. All they do is offer a warranty to fix problems if anything comes up. It is, of course, always better to have something done right the first time.

I would take the time to go to a Lexus dealership since your insurance is willing to pay for it. That way a technician who changes lexus windshields all the time will work on your car. For all you know, Safelite could send out a guy to you that has only replaced Kia windshields his whole life and your Lexus will be his first.

When you let noobs work on your car, the TERRORISTS win. Do you hate America?

Last edited by eggtart; 10-18-12 at 08:18 AM.
Old 10-18-12, 09:07 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 122 Posts

Just out of curiosity, what does an OEM windshield from Lexus cost? It has to be crazy expensive.

Quick Reply: Water Repellent Windshield