LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

LEXUS Quality...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-12, 05:37 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by sajack
My favorite thing about the 430 over the 460 is the greater glass area, no gunslit windows. The classic lines of the 430 will always look good. The current 460 styling may become stale when it is replaced.
The LS430 is unique from other Lexus models. I often see a Current model ES350 and have to look at the tailpipes to see if it is an ES350 or an LS460.
Agreed 100% on every points you mentioned^^^^^
Old 10-30-12, 05:43 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Quipper
Maybe I'm being too picky, but the ES is also the only 'loaner' option for me when we are in for service. I thought they'd offer me an LS since I own an LS, but no dice. For a company that prides itself on good customer service, that really surprised me.

Why not have just one LS available for lending? It's doubtful there is much chance of two LS owners getting service simultaneously anyway, right?
What you say make sense, but if you compare to what other high end brand dealer does, a ES350 loaner is already very generous.

My local Porsche dealer give out Hyundai Santa Fe and Camry as loaner.

My local MB dealer charges $25 a day for a C250 loaner.

There is a Lexus dealer in Los Angeles does have one LS460 loaner, I am guessing they mark up their service pricing for it.

My local Bentley dealer don't have loaner car at all, I am guessing for a Bentley owner, they have multiple cars that their multiple wifes, mistresses, girlfriends, personal assistants can pick them up in

Last edited by BNR34; 11-02-12 at 11:57 AM.
Old 10-30-12, 05:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gbracer04
Why does a 9 year old LS 430 feel and drive better than most brand new cars out there???..How does Lexus do it? This car is amazing!..
Excellent design, material, build quality, testing...............etc.
Old 10-30-12, 05:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
100% agreed! Ever since getting the 430 I have yet to ride in anyone else's car that I felt was remotely close to the 430, let alone better. Even my E60 5 series which is 4 yrs newer doesn't quite compare to the refinement offered by the LS
The LS is a 7-series, of course your 5-series feels lesser.

If the 5-series feels just as good, no one would buy a 7-series.
Old 10-31-12, 03:02 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 124 Likes on 85 Posts

Everyone I know who has bought a used 7 Series got tired of the $1,000 per visit repair bills, mostly for rather minor stuff.
Old 10-31-12, 10:00 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sajack
Everyone I know who has bought a used 7 Series got tired of the $1,000 per visit repair bills, mostly for rather minor stuff.
That is part of the cost of owning a BMW, they are very nice when they are free of issues.

I just can't handle the hassle myself.

I really love my repair free and almost maintenance free LS430.
Old 10-31-12, 10:47 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Quipper
Maybe I'm being too picky, but the ES is also the only 'loaner' option for me when we are in for service. I thought they'd offer me an LS since I own an LS, but no dice. For a company that prides itself on good customer service, that really surprised me.

Why not have just one LS available for lending? It's doubtful there is much chance of two LS owners getting service simultaneously anyway, right?
It's a 10 year old Lexus that was ~80k new, 10 years ago, get off your high horse and be happy you get a loaner.

Most dealers in my area will arrange a shuttle for you, and if you have a new car [within 2-3yrs old] they'll give you an IS, or an ES for a higher end/pricier model in for service. And this is ONLY if your car was purchased from their dealer - otherwise enjoy the shuttle bus.

I have to do this tomorrow... my old man's RX is due for a trans re-flash, and i have to drive him to work then to the shop, and back again to his work, because its a 2004 RX & not purchased at their shop.
Old 10-31-12, 04:49 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

I have my car scheduled for an oil change and A/C check tomorrow with my Lexus dealer. He has a loaner Lexus reserved for my use during the day. I did not purchase my car from this dealer. Purchased it CPO from other Lexus dealer in the area 5 years ago. My current dealer had been, and still is, servicing my 1992 SC400 (purchased from yet another dealer 22 years ago). I couldn't be happier with my current dealer.
Old 10-31-12, 08:00 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

There is no such thing as a free loaner car. The service department has to lease and pay for these "loaner" cars - they are not free of charge by any measure. On a monthly/yearly basis the service dept deducts these additional overhead costs from services revenue to calculated their profit margin. The service manager knows what profit margin on gross revenues he has to attain to stay in business so he adjusts labor and parts rates to a level that also pays for the yearly loaner car costs. So every customer paying for services work over the year pays for the loaner cars in their bill regardless of whether they get a loaner or not. Thinking you got a free loaner when you pay $600 for a brake job is just fantasy thinking.
Old 11-01-12, 09:48 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01LEXPL
It's a 10 year old Lexus that was ~80k new, 10 years ago, get off your high horse and be happy you get a loaner.
My 05' LS430 UL with every options available was $74k. Base LS430 was only $55k, the most common ML packaged car was $64k.

Time have changed, now a fully loaded GS450h is $74k!

So yeah, I don't blame the dealer for "only" providing a ES350 for a LS430 that only worth $15k~$20k today, I think it is already generous. And like Jabberwock said, the loaner is not free anyway, they could very well give you a free LFA "loaner" car for 2 hours, they just have to charge you $2000 for your oil change and tire rotation

Last edited by BNR34; 11-01-12 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-01-12, 03:05 PM
eggtart
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gbracer04
Why does a 9 year old LS 430 feel and drive better than most brand new cars out there???..How does Lexus do it? This car is amazing!..
Because it's a 9 year old car that was close to $70k when new. Compare that to a $30k brand new TODAY and of course the LS430 feels and drives better. It just was just built better, and the original price reflected it.

I'd be more impressed if the LS430 felt and drove better than $70k brand new cars TODAY.
Old 11-01-12, 04:10 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My lexus brake jobs are 189 bucks and I ship in the rotors from tire rack. T belt/pump was 650 at this Toyota dealer who charges me 11 bucks for labor plus a filter when I bring in my own oil and they wash er too. Really happy with them and while noone else gets a loaner they usually will sport me a crolla or a yaris for the day and I am happy. There is a benefit to finding a fair dealer and patronizing them.
Old 11-01-12, 05:13 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by eggtart
I'd be more impressed if the LS430 felt and drove better than $70k brand new cars TODAY.
It does, especially because brand new cars cost so much more now a days, $70k only get you the mid size Lexus GS, Infiniti M56, 5-series, E-Class, A6, so yes a good condition LS430 still drive just as nice, or better then a brand new $70k car today.

The latest LS460 start at about $68k I think, but that is the base model with zero option, comparing to the $74k fully loaded LS430 UL, the LS430 offer more of everything.

The $65k Hyundai Equus is still not as refined as the LS430 yet.

Trust me, my comparison is up to date. All these comparison is only on refinement though, obviously most latest cars offer more power and much more advanced electronics. But refinement does not change with time. I think the LS430 UL pretty much maxed out on refinement humanly possible. It takes a V12 S-class, 7-series, RR and Bentley to beat it.
Old 11-02-12, 03:51 AM
Quipper
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by BNR34
My 05' LS430 UL with every options available was $74k. Base LS430 was only $55k, the most common ML packaged car was $64k.

Time have changed, now a fully loaded GS450h is $74k!
Remember, though, that inflation affects the value of money pretty dramatically--and in fairly short order. That $74k you paid is equivalent to just under $88,000 now! That's according to the U.S. Department of Labor's very useful inflation calculator.

So you're really comparing the GS at $74k now with your LS that would cost $88k now--using the level of playing field of equivalent dollars. It isn't that "times have changed" so very much in how cars are priced--it's just the reduced value of a dollar that creates that illusion.

Last edited by Quipper; 11-02-12 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 11-02-12, 06:26 AM
Quipper
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I don't blame the dealer for "only" providing a ES350 for a LS430 that only worth $15k~$20k today, I think it is already generous
I beg to differ. My $17k car started new at some point, when the full new price was proffered. The car won't last forever, at which time I may well buy a new LS from them. Yes, with time a car's value diminishes greatly, but that doesn't mean someone driving the flagship sedan shouldn't receive a few extra perks commensurate with that fact.

The reason I bought an LS originally was b/c I'm taller than Michael Jordan, and I need the leg room. I simply don't fit in an ES nearly as well: it's not that I'm being snobby, it's a matter of basic roominess. Back then, Consumer Reports said this was one of the top 10 best cars for tall people--and they still do.

Someone else made a good point, though, that other luxury brands do the same or less for their customers. Still, I could wish my dealership had an LS loaner like someone earlier said was offered at his local Lexus.

Quick Reply: LEXUS Quality...