New guy here, can't find "the one"

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-12, 06:14 AM
PSmith
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here, can't find "the one"

Hello all,
I have been trying to find a 04-06 LS430 for a few months now and I'm trying to not get discouraged and give up. Just when I think I found it there's a problem like a bad carfax, bad paint job, or just not clean and in good shape.
I have been able to find plenty of 01-03's for about 10k for UL's and I actually thought about getting one but that's not really what I want and I don't want to settle and not be happy in the end.
There's alot of beautiful cars on here (all years) and I can't wait to get mine.
Old 12-08-12, 07:47 AM
sajack
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

They are over 5 years old, so there should be plenty of rich old geezers out there ready to trade for a new LS with the new styling. I'd be patient and look all over the sun belt where there is no snow or salt. Search everywhere from Arizona to Georgia, especially Lexus dealers.
Old 12-08-12, 08:15 AM
2GSKaizen
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At our dealership we see the same thing you do. Tons of 01-03's but a good clean 04-06 is tough to find. You are 100% better off following your instincts and waiting for the one you want! Do not settle with an impulse buy, and end up unhappy in the long run. What I see commonly is old geezers holding on to these 430's because they don't like the ride of the 460's, or are scared of all the technology in the newer models. Sajack is right. 99% of those cars are going to get traded in on another Lexus, so keep checking those dealers! Best of luck in your car hunt!
Old 12-08-12, 08:21 AM
beneteau
Driver

Don't know if you are willing to purchase one that is local or some distance away. If you are willing to travel, I suggest you search (Autotrader) on the east coast of Florida from Palm Beach to Miami. Use Autotrader with a Florida zip code. There's lots of wealth on the east coast of Florida with a lot of fine pre-owned luxury cars available. I recently purchased (sight unseen except for dealer's pictures) a 2012 Camry SE with 5k miles from a Lexus dealer in Palm Beach for $6k-$8k less than a comparable model in my area. Paid $750 to have the car shipped to my front door. Several dealers in the Memphis area purchase pre-owned cars in this area of Florida and ship them to Memphis for resale.
Old 12-08-12, 09:42 AM
hms09
Pole Position

Default Ls430

There's a thread on here titled "awesomeLS 430". Should be on the first page. Take a look and good luck in your search. The ls 430 is a fine automobile!
Old 12-08-12, 11:56 AM
joerogan
Rookie

The wait will be worth. I settled, but enjoy it more than any car I have ever owned, which is a lot of different makes and models.
Old 12-08-12, 01:05 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Three plus years ago I found my 04 after 6 months, 55k miles for $17K back bumper was sprayed wintered in palm springs. $10K not sure what you are saying you may need to be real patient.
Old 12-08-12, 01:25 PM
sajack
Advanced

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

We've had our LS430 for 5 1/2 months now. Every time I get out of this car I think " Damn, I wish I had two of these."
What a fantastic car!
Old 12-08-12, 02:19 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

A lot of patience is required to keep searching for and finding a cream puff. And just as important when you find a cream puff you need to jump on it, literally within the hour because they sell almost immediately.

The really good cars do come on the market periodically but they are way more rare than average condition cars.

An economist wrote a book a few years ago explaining why every used car is basically a lemon. There is some truth to the notion that people do not get rid of great cars or ones in excellent condition but its not totally correct. But we did notice a lot of heavily worn dirty LS430s coming on the market as used cars - lots of examples where people did not take care of the car and then got rid of it when its started to show heavy wear.
Old 12-08-12, 04:43 PM
PSmith
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all of the positive responses,
I am being patient in my search but the longer it takes the more I want one. I know it's a great car because I had a 93 LS400 back in 99-01. I'm hoping to find one without going too far from north jersey but so far I've been as far as Connecticut and I thought that was the one (04 CL in flint mica with black interior & 65k on it for $15000) until I found out it was in an accident in 06 and considered totaled in Wisconsin. I would like to stick with the flint mica/black combo but I would consider a black/black I just don't want the light interior.
I've been a member here for about a month and I've learned things about the LS's that I didn't even know and I love looking at all the pics and seeing the mods done to these beautiful vehicles. I'll be sure to keep you guys posted on when I find mine and I'll be sure to post pics.
Old 12-09-12, 08:23 AM
69charger
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PSmith
Hello all,
I have been trying to find a 04-06 LS430 for a few months now and I'm trying to not get discouraged and give up. Just when I think I found it there's a problem like a bad carfax, bad paint job, or just not clean and in good shape.
I have been able to find plenty of 01-03's for about 10k for UL's and I actually thought about getting one but that's not really what I want and I don't want to settle and not be happy in the end.
There's alot of beautiful cars on here (all years) and I can't wait to get mine.
I live 60 miles from San Francisco, CA. I would start my search in a city w/ lots of $$$$$.
Old 12-09-12, 05:51 PM
REV-01
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it took me 8 months to find mine. the most important thing for me was the model trim and options, milage and condition while the last thing i look is the $ and where the car is located.

let me tell you to find a car in the mainland with hawaii type of milage is really hard. and when i do i just jump on it.
Old 02-02-13, 03:16 PM
fensterlip
Pole Position

Just general advice. I would look in the Dallas Zip codes. There are nice low mileage cars in California but they go for too much money. Dallas is a big city with money, a love of big luxury and NO salt.
I refuse to buy anything from the snow belt. Too many people say they park for the Winter, clean like they are paid to do it and everything else only to find pockets of rust everywhere. Not ever worth the gamble IMHO.

It can be a nice get acquainted with the new ride drive back or a few hundred to ship. Don't wimp out on this. You buy quick and regret at leisure.
Old 02-02-13, 07:16 PM
PSmith
Driver School Candidate

I'm still looking...actually went to see a 07 LS460 today and fell in love with it! 99k miles, original owner, with all service records from the Lexus dealer since day 1. The only options I noticed it didn't have was the levinson stereo (which I really want) and air suspension. I'm going to think about it over the weekend and make a decision by Thursday because the owner is going away for a few weeks. So me and the wife will talk it over and let them know by then. They're asking $26,500 and won't budge under $25,000 if they would have I would have came home with it today but we'll see what happens that was our max and I wasn't looking to spend all of It because if I do I know that wouldn't leave any $ for mods.
I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Old 02-02-13, 07:55 PM
Dranom
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Goodluck with your search
Took me a few months to find my car

Quick Reply: New guy here, can't find "the one"