LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

lol I got into a big W220 vs LS430 debate over on BenzWorld

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-12, 08:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts
Default lol I got into a big W220 vs LS430 debate over on BenzWorld

Anyone have the saddle interior pics of the LS? I need the image tags to completely own them....

These idiots are legitly trying to say that the W220 interior is superior, and that the LS430 has a "cheap" interior.

It was quite a fun debate....

An S-class is an S-class, but the W220 was an embarrassment to the line
Old 12-09-12, 09:41 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Over there is a benz forum and here is lexus forum... what do you expect? I'm a member on both of them clearly see bias toward their own cars. I personally prefer the W220 all day. My father drives LS430, while it is nice it can't be compared to interior of W220. I'm sure 95% of people on CL will disagree.
Old 12-09-12, 09:49 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The W220 was a big fail following the W140. Issues galore and the size reduction and design,along with quality. I think the upcoming 2014 should do better. As for interior, the W220 fan boys are just trying to justify why they bought such a big POS and fooling themselves. I don't even waste time on the MB or any German sites. Not worth it.
Old 12-09-12, 10:46 AM
Justin2JZ
Lexus Champion

The 04 W220 interior update imo was nicer than the LS's but in other aspects I say LS all day. In comparison to the S430 that is. The W221 on the other hand imo is clearly nicer than the 1st gen LS460.
Old 12-09-12, 01:54 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

[QUOTE=KA8;7641539 My father drives LS430, while it is nice it can't be compared to interior of W220. I'm sure 95% of people on CL will disagree.[/QUOTE]

Are you kidding me? I like the design of the W220 interior alot, but the materials and fit and finish aren't half as good as the LS.
Old 12-09-12, 01:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
The W220 was a big fail following the W140. Issues galore and the size reduction and design,along with quality. I think the upcoming 2014 should do better. As for interior, the W220 fan boys are just trying to justify why they bought such a big POS and fooling themselves. I don't even waste time on the MB or any German sites. Not worth it.
Lol, I know....I feel sorta juvenile lol but I was just blowing off steam....

The thread title that I posted in was "W220 utter pieces of junk" lol, I'm like okay admit your car is a POS (for an S class) yet then act like it's not? Haha.

I'm sorry, but the LS430 is VASTLY superior the the W220.

IMO, the LS430 was the W140 of the LS line. The LS460, while newer, is not as impressive. I think it's a combination of that and the fact that the competition caught up.

I honestly think the LS430 was easily the best luxury car of the early-mid 2000s. That's not me being biased either.
Old 12-09-12, 02:01 PM
208Soarer
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man... This is a tough one! I like the 03-05 W220 S600 in the DESIGNO edition interior only. But I have always been a fan of an LS. I am currently debating which way to go for my next project. Everyone has their own preferences though.
Old 12-09-12, 02:42 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I considered a W220 when I was looking for a flagship. I test drove one and I must say I loved it. The biggest thing was I thought the exterior was very boring, even the AMG bodykits didn't make it too much better.

Without throwing too much heat into the argument, here are some of my observations:
- S class is sold as LWB only in the US (save the S350), so there was a lot more room in the back
- Both cars felt equally spacious up front, LS430 feels like it has a bit more headroom.
- Both cars have soft plastics for the dash and such (I know the designo has leather and the CL/UL trims do). From my perspective, they felt about the same.
- The S class has a lot more buttons and clutter than the 430, a lot of them were really small and hard to understand for a new potential owner whereas the 430 is much more intuitive (I think Merc realized this too and now switched over to the wheel).

In the end, I felt the S class felt a bit more solid than the LS to drive (sry Austin), but during my 20 min drive I got quite a few warning messages that weren't there at the start lol. I decided I didn't want to deal with that so I bought the 430 and haven't looked back since. The W221, however, has me very interested indeed...may drive one soon lol
Old 12-09-12, 03:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CarGuy89
I considered a W220 when I was looking for a flagship. I test drove one and I must say I loved it. The biggest thing was I thought the exterior was very boring, even the AMG bodykits didn't make it too much better.

Without throwing too much heat into the argument, here are some of my observations:
- S class is sold as LWB only in the US (save the S350), so there was a lot more room in the back
- Both cars felt equally spacious up front, LS430 feels like it has a bit more headroom.
- Both cars have soft plastics for the dash and such (I know the designo has leather and the CL/UL trims do). From my perspective, they felt about the same.
- The S class has a lot more buttons and clutter than the 430, a lot of them were really small and hard to understand for a new potential owner whereas the 430 is much more intuitive (I think Merc realized this too and now switched over to the wheel).

In the end, I felt the S class felt a bit more solid than the LS to drive (sry Austin), but during my 20 min drive I got quite a few warning messages that weren't there at the start lol. I decided I didn't want to deal with that so I bought the 430 and haven't looked back since. The W221, however, has me very interested indeed...may drive one soon lol
How dare you!!! I'm deleting you off Facebook! Lol j/k. Every W220 I've experienced I felt the opposite. I'm not saying it's a bad car, but it definitely has shortcomings. I also think that it had quite a path to follow....it's half the car the W140 was IMO.

Now, the S class is my favorite car of all time (I think we've discussed this lol), but I don't think the W220 was top of the heap like basically every other generation was.

The MB fanboys give the classic "glorified Toyota" argument, but ummm Toyota>Chrysler.

It's also fun to point out that you'll pay 2k more for a base $60k LS than a $100k S500 right now. If resale value isn't an objective way to assess how "good" a car is, I don't know what is. They really conveniently avoid attempting to counter that point, as well as the fact that the LS finished first (or second) in every comparison test it was in, while the W220 was behind it, by several places. Even last place in one C&D comparo where the LS won.

Now I'm not a troll lol, I will admit that the MB is better looking and has that great German DNA, as well as more cachet, but basically, that's it. LS430>W220.
Old 12-09-12, 05:34 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
... It's also fun to point out that you'll pay 2k more for a base $60k LS than a $100k S500 right now. If resale value isn't an objective way to assess how "good" a car is, I don't know what is ....

If you buy a new S500, or any other luxury car, you get hit by huge depreciation in the first 4 years. This is basically the "snob value" of the new car. Once the warranty is done and the snob value has been absorbed, the market, NOT the manufacturer, puts a price on the car.

There are plenty of buyers interested in a used LS430, but not as many buyers for a used Benz that's out of warranty ..... unless its very inexpensive.

Lexus > Mercedes
Old 12-09-12, 06:01 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

The "fun to drive" answer never worked for me because if you're commuting in bumper to bumper traffic, how often are you airing out the engine? ? Even in open driving, are you really taking your S or 7 series 60 MPH off an exit ramp? LS is far superior to the S/7 for daily, real world driving. "Fun to drive"means I have no objective reason to like the car so I have to use a purely subjective criteria. The magazines do it all the time, the German cars will win out because it handled better and had that "extra something"that no one knows about...
Old 12-09-12, 11:45 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 427 Likes on 351 Posts

I'm a huge fan of both despite the W220 being inferior to the W140. Compared to the LS430, an 03-06 S600 would have been far to expensive to maintain right now. I prefer the LS' interior, but I like the W220's exterior a little bit better.

There is a lot of bias on both sides though. I like both brands and I do hope to get an S600/Cl600 in a few years.
Old 12-10-12, 07:45 AM
ma61
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not sure why I'm seeing so many comparisons to the W140...
The only thing the W140 marked was the start of the decline in quality at MB.

Most Mercedes made between 00-04 were at the pinnacle of their crap years, even though
the worst car Mercedes has is still better than the best car of some other manufacturers.

I would take an LS over any S class made from 1992-2005, although I do have a serious soft spot for the W215 CL-Class..

And for the record, I drive neither an S class or LS.
Old 12-10-12, 10:39 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Welcome to the forum MA61. So what do you drive?
Old 12-10-12, 05:46 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

I drove both W140 and W220. The 140 is solid as a rock, smooth and powerful, however I don't like its interior. The 220 is solid and smooth, very! unreliable, I drove practically a new car and some warnings popped out, interior is nice with the exception of myriad of small buttons scattered all over, I prefer touch screen. Leather is nice and soft, not as soft as LS' though. Reliability is a big issue as well, parts prices are though the roof on MB. Lexus is not cheap too but much cheaper then MB on some parts. I do like how w220 looks though, especially S55 amg.

Quick Reply: lol I got into a big W220 vs LS430 debate over on BenzWorld