LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Sport Package (05) Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-12, 12:21 PM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Sport Package (05) Question

I have an 05 non sport, I was toying with the idea of replacing the struts and using the firmer ones that come stock with the Sport package. I have the the 18'' wheels as well. I'd like a bit firmer ride.

Is it a clean swap or would something preclude me from doing this?

Thanks for the info!
Old 12-13-12, 02:47 PM
JSDND1980
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd like to know this also! I know you can order the rear suspension sway bar thru Sewell in Dallas...what other changes make it a " Sport ". I finally saw one on the highway the other day...had the little sport emblem on the front quarter panel. I also already have the 18" wheels already.
Old 12-13-12, 04:29 PM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was here on this forum somewhere. If I remember correctly sport suspension consists of firmer front lower control arm bushings, firmer shocks, 1 more mm thicker rear sway bar with firmer rear sway bar bushings.
I replaced my air suspension for sport shocks and Tanabe NF210 shorter springs, stock bushings and sway bar. Ride is firmer and a bit harsh on road splits. If you have regular suspension you need just sport shocks, sway bar with bushings and front bushings.
Old 12-14-12, 04:48 AM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by yuri.ber
It was here on this forum somewhere. If I remember correctly sport suspension consists of firmer front lower control arm bushings, firmer shocks, 1 more mm thicker rear sway bar with firmer rear sway bar bushings.
I replaced my air suspension for sport shocks and Tanabe NF210 shorter springs, stock bushings and sway bar. Ride is firmer and a bit harsh on road splits. If you have regular suspension you need just sport shocks, sway bar with bushings and front bushings.
The springs are different as well.

Randy B
Old 12-14-12, 05:31 AM
gstern1994
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Could I just replace the current struts with a set that are but more sport oriented (just a little firmer, nothing crazy)? Or do I need to replace the springs, sway bar as well if I'm going to firm up the struts?
Old 12-15-12, 06:22 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I see no problem with replacing just shocks.
You can replace sway bar later, it will help with body roll while cornering but will not firm up the ride more.
Old 12-15-12, 01:34 PM
Randy B
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Will work them more.

Originally Posted by gstern1994
Could I just replace the current struts with a set that are but more sport oriented (just a little firmer, nothing crazy)? Or do I need to replace the springs, sway bar as well if I'm going to firm up the struts?
If you go with a firmer strut, the softer spring will work them more. The stiffer spring and stiffer strut work in concert with each other. You could certainly try and see how it goes, however for all the labor involved and exposure to the spring, if you have the bucks or can wait til you do, makes more sense to me for my wallet.

Randy B
Old 12-27-12, 09:42 AM
abs
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I also have an '05 MY and was considering doing the same thing - replacing the OEM non-sport struts with the sport version. Off hand I'm not sure if the strut mounts to the lower control arm are the same, my guess is they would work.

With respect to the ride and ride quality with the softer springs, I have a very strong opinion. I've replaced many springs/shocks on multiple cars over the years and what I've discovered is that I personally prefer a softer spring with a firmer shock. What this does is keep the ride comfortable by allowing for a longer wave length on the spring - stiff springs tend to feel "bouncy" because they are so firm they tend not to allow the body of the car to move up/down as much, hence a shorter wave length. At the same time, a firmer shock tends to help control both compression and rebound of ANY spring better. So, you benefit substantially in the handling department. The car should feel better controlled by having the overall motion of the spring, i.e. the number of wave cycles, better controlled over a bump. I would also add that if you have the option to get an adjustable shock, I usually prefer one with more rebound damping and a little less compression damping. This allows the suspension to absorb the bumps without harshness and then to control body movement better after the initial compression of the suspension. One manufacturer who does a really good job of tuning their suspensions on their luxury sedans in this way is BMW. Sort of the best of both worlds . . .

If you want a car that feels like a race car, and is really great on the track, but really bouncy/jarring on the street, then by all means go with a really firm spring and shocks with a high compression and rebound rate.

I do not want to create a flame war with these comments - they are my personal opinion based on a history of replacing suspension components on many vehicles over more than 15 years. It took me a long time and a lot of experience to reach these conclusions. Of course, others may have a different point of view or experience.

Lastly, just like the OP, I'd love to hear feedback from anyone about the differences between the aftermarket KYB shocks, the OEM regular shocks and the OEM sport shocks. If someone reading this post has that experience, please do post your feedback/input.

Andrew