LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Road trip in my new (used) LS430

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-12, 08:52 PM
LLcoolV
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip in my new (used) LS430

Over this past weekend I decided to go ahead a take a road trip in my my new LS 430. Like most young men when they get a car they go on a long trip to see just how good the car runs.
Well my girl and I did just that. We gassed up which cost about $55 ( I was already at 1/2 tank) grabbed some Redbull, beef jerky and some music and we were out.

I hate that I dont have a MP# hook yet but cds were fine. I gave me a chance to listen to some oldies but goodies. lol

I was so happy with the ride of the LS430. It is so quiet and smooth. The comfort of the seating had me feeling as though I was in a massage chair and I love the heated seats.
I know I better watch out for my seat though, I do not want to damage them or have them crack.
I enjoy the "S" mode when driving, I have more control and power when attempting to get around people, although I have to remember that I bought a LS not a GS
But I am surprised at how fast the the LS is. It has great picked up without all the drag or pushback. Its pretty quick. I have to get used to the power and size when braking.. so I keep a large distance in front of myself and the cars in front of me.

Anyway--I only had to fill up once and I did yet again at half a tank. I dont like going below half a tank. Gas is Cali is really expensive but its doable, I dont drive that much anyhow.
My only concern was or is, I know it is going to cost $100+ to fill it up once I do start to fill it up.

Well tomorrow I will go get a oil change and make sure my tires are cool, but I cant wait to do it again.
Old 12-17-12, 04:30 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The LS was made for road trips. I took 2 trips from NJ to FL and would have done a 3rd but ended up.doing the MDX instead. My goodness, like night and day with the ride quality and MPG.
Old 12-17-12, 08:20 AM
LLcoolV
Driver School Candidate

AlexusAnja--- you say the quality of the MDX is better? And what kind of mileage should I be anticipating in my LS? I used the display on the dash to tell me how many miles I should be getting and on the long stretch of road I was getting up to 25MPG but umm.... I dont know.. I feel like maybe 19-23MPG at best... maybe I need to flush the tank and air my tires...
Old 12-17-12, 08:59 AM
yuri.ber
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I took my LS on a few long trips over 4.5 years I own it. The longest trip was from NY to Ohio. I enjoyed it so much I wanted to take another trip like that shortly after. I averaged 25mpg on that trip and got 500 miles out of full tank with two gallons left when I pulled up to a pump.
Once, after Sandy, during gas crisis I was waiting in line for gas when it ran out on me. I filled 21.7 gallons and paid $87. Now that's what I call a fill up .
Old 12-17-12, 11:47 AM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LLcoolV
AlexusAnja--- you say the quality of the MDX is better? And what kind of mileage should I be anticipating in my LS? ..
Sorry, I must have missed a comma or something somewhere. Besides seating capacity (7 instead of 8) there is nothing on my '10 MDX that beats my '04 LS. I did Florida with LS cruise at 80 and got 26.5mpg. Same trip with MDX and cruise at 75 (I knew I had to.keep it lower) and got 19 MPG. Ended up being a $250 hit in additional.gas.

The ride was louder, rougher, buy we did get to ride higher and see more traffic ahead...

I took the MDx only because I could not get enough gas in the LS to get me out of town or to next nearest open gas station.
Old 12-17-12, 12:18 PM
LLcoolV
Driver School Candidate

26!! whaaatt Ok I must be driving it wrong... I gotta use the cruise control more often then huh?
Old 12-17-12, 12:23 PM
JSDND1980
Driver

I take my LS on road trips from Mass to NH almost every weekend! The mileage is good at around 23MPG and the power and engine response is fantastic!
Old 12-17-12, 08:59 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Default Best driven

Originally Posted by LLcoolV
26!! whaaatt Ok I must be driving it wrong... I gotta use the cruise control more often then huh?
The FL trip was 26.5 and that was best I have ever gotten. There are some here, who have gotten 28 mpg. Now, I don't know those driving habits, but the aerodynamics of this vehicle seem to indicate that ideal speed is actually in 70-75 mph range, than a typical 60-65 mph range. Now, I'm not promoting speeding, but if you live in an area that has 75 mph limit, then set it there or 80 mph and that might be ideal.

The secret to good mpg is setting the cruise. When you drive by feet, your rpm just modulates ever so sligtly without you realizing it and that affects the mpg. Be warned though, if you are a sleepy driver, setting the cruise and forgetting to change speeds just might put you to sleep...
Old 12-18-12, 06:30 AM
ultm8mind
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I took my LS from GA to FL a bunch of times, GA to NY, Upstate NY to RI and NYC a few times. I have a GL450 and that stays in the garage on them trips, the LS is so comfortable and impreesively the MPG is low(to me) and I just roll out. No worries, even forget how long I've been ridingg sometimes getting lost in whatever music is on, I feel like I'm sitting in a recliner, haha.
Old 12-19-12, 09:50 AM
LLcoolV
Driver School Candidate

ultm8mind- Wow that's alot of driving. How many miles do you have on your LS? I want to keep pushing it on those trips but I am afraid too. I took the northern Cali to southern Cali drive.. its about 5 hours and the Elle L
(thats what I called her) did god. It just floated. No noise, no issues, no problems thank god and I love it. But I am a little apprehensive on doing that many times. I drive the LS to work but its only 10 miles round trip so the daily driving doesn't worry me.