Ls430 window creak from rubber seal

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-13, 08:15 AM
ls430lover
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ls430 window creak from rubber seal

Hi all just a new thread about a solution that has been spoken about in past
i bought a 2002 ls and have had issues with the door seals creaking. i went to lexus twice for an oil change, and they have a silicon spray in a red bottle they use and wipe it on with a rag. this has almost eliminated the issue. i have read that formula 303 works and thats what i will be using in the future but the threads were not easily found so wanted this information easily found
just spray the silicon or formula 303 on a rag and apply to seals.
hope this helps, i have read sometimes the silicon can dry out the rubber so i will try the 303
cheers
Old 02-27-13, 08:33 AM
caddyowner
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Do a search on "creak" and you'll find a couple other, longer lasting solutions. I bought and used shin-etsu grease from my Honda dealer. The key is to apply the lubricant to the wide seal along the top of the doorframe. It doesn't even look like a seal because it is flat to the metal.
The following users liked this post:
LSneewb (12-23-18)
Old 02-27-13, 09:03 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by caddyowner
Do a search on "creak" and you'll find a couple other, longer lasting solutions. I bought and used shin-etsu grease from my Honda dealer. The key is to apply the lubricant to the wide seal along the top of the doorframe. It doesn't even look like a seal because it is flat to the metal.
That Honda Shin-Etsu grease is good stuff, it really renews the rubber, but you have to be really careful because if your clothes ever rub up against the weatherstripping, it can sometimes be a real mess.

Nothing worse than climbing into your car to grab something and a nice work shirt has black, greasy streak on it.
Old 02-27-13, 12:48 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for Shin Etsu grease. Applied it to my car last summer and it has been dead quiet ever since! Great product, will reapply this summer. I can still see the grease coating on there.

EDIT: to make the application process a bit less messy get some of those foam painter's brushes you can find in an arts+crafts store (idea stolen from another member on here).
Old 02-27-13, 02:21 PM
Stu
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Mine creaks too. I tried a few products to try an eliminate it and nothing worked, so now I just crack the window slightly or turn up the music.
Old 02-27-13, 04:05 PM
LS430Lexus
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 54 Posts

Shin-Etzu grease from Honda has worked well for me. I suspect their are different formulations of silicon spray and would want to obtain the same product or equivalent that the dealer uses. I wonder if you could go back or call to ask for the name of the speciific product. Maybe a call to the Sewell parts department might do it.
Old 02-27-13, 04:36 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

My door seals get a little creaky/noisey at 125 and above, any suggestions? Only on the driver door.
Old 02-27-13, 05:05 PM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 159 Likes on 123 Posts

lol dont drive 125.
Old 02-27-13, 05:23 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

OK still windy at 100 plus
Old 02-27-13, 08:02 PM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Silicone spray from Advance Auto Parts store works a lot better than shin etsu on my '02
Old 02-28-13, 08:57 AM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ancdmd
Silicone spray from Advance Auto Parts store works a lot better than shin etsu on my '02
Sprays tended to do the same but did not last past even one car washing for me... one $12 tube of Shin-etsu grease from Honda dealer will last a lifetime and each application lasts thru car washes and my wet towel wipe downs of the door frame/ jambs after each wash... even my dealer recommends using it for the creak as well as slide surfaces in the cabin (center arm rest, coin box, etc.) and I use a dab on the interior piece mounting clips so removal is easy the next time, etc. Overall a great addition to the tool box!

For the grease on clothes warning... the creak typically only emulates from the top outter seal of the doors where it contacts the roof frame in the car... not along the sides or bottom where your hands or pants may come into contact, so no need to apply there. Just a thin smear to that surface and you're done.
Old 02-28-13, 09:49 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper6
Sprays tended to do the same but did not last past even one car washing for me... one $12 tube of Shin-etsu grease from Honda dealer will last a lifetime and each application lasts thru car washes and my wet towel wipe downs of the door frame/ jambs after each wash... even my dealer recommends using it for the creak as well as slide surfaces in the cabin (center arm rest, coin box, etc.) and I use a dab on the interior piece mounting clips so removal is easy the next time, etc. Overall a great addition to the tool box!

For the grease on clothes warning... the creak typically only emulates from the top outter seal of the doors where it contacts the roof frame in the car... not along the sides or bottom where your hands or pants may come into contact, so no need to apply there. Just a thin smear to that surface and you're done.
When comparing the two products I would tend to expect the shin etsu to last longer too. For some reason I was getting noise right after the first wash, and not so much with the silicone spray. Weird.
Old 02-28-13, 04:09 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

I have used the Shin etsu on my rear doors but still hear a little creaking. I concentrated on the top seal. Do most owners find that the rear doors are the culprit or can it be the fronts as well?
Old 02-28-13, 07:41 PM
Viper6
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Rears on mine
Old 03-04-13, 02:33 PM
Lust4Lexus
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

+1 for shin etsu grease. Great stuff!

Quick Reply: Ls430 window creak from rubber seal