LS430 cost of ownership?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-13, 08:25 PM
swegyptian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS430 cost of ownership?

Hi all,

I currently drive a 5 series BMW wagon, and I'm tired of it having failures, so I'm getting a Lexus. I was looking at an IS300 sportcross, which is quite a bit smaller than my current car. Then I realized that I can get an LS430 for the same price, with a few more miles on the clock. I know that the driving experience is very different so I need to decide which one I want, but cost of ownership plays a roll for me. I feel that both are nearly bullet proof, but I am curious if someone has owned both, and would care to comment cost of routine maintenance, and perhaps the weird things that go wrong with an 8 year old LS430. The BMW has many. Oh, so many.

TIA,
Alex
Old 02-28-13, 09:08 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

like any car, the more systems and options it has, the more there is to break. Just get a base LS unless you need any of those systems which are really expensive to fix.
Old 02-28-13, 10:09 PM
mattbeeezy
Lead Lap

Received 35 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had both cars.... check out my garage. I've had the is300 Sportcross for two years with no problems at all. I bought it used with 90k and sold it around 120k I honestly just changed the oil and that was it. It is a small car though. I have two kids and was hard having dual car seats in the little thing. As for the LS430 I've had it for 5 years awesome car so awesome I have two of them. One is an ultra luxury model and the other is modern luxury model. I kept up with all the maintenance and have yet to have anything fail on me except for the door windows. Engine wise... bullet proof.
Old 03-01-13, 09:26 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

The IS300 is probably going to be more reliable because it's simpler. I would wager it's one of the most reliable cars you can buy. I have a relative that bought one new and has had it nearly 100k miles and I don't think he's had to make a single repair. I nearly bought one myself years ago, I still think they're great cars.

The one issue about the is300 though it the factory alignment on the car makes it eat up tires like no car I've ever seen, it's a common complaint. It's done that way to give better handling, but it's a really dumb way to achieve it. Alignment shops usually don't want to experiment outside of factory specs, but if you can find a shop that will change it for better tire wear, I'd highly recommend it.

Two totally different cars though, the IS300 is like a Honda Civic with an upgraded interior. It's not meant as a dig, but it's like an upscale compact. The LS is Lexus' flagship, and all the materials are top notch and feels like you're driving a bank vault. The handling is a little bloated, but a Sport rear sway bar is a cheap upgrade that I'd recommend. It's also really reliable, but "flagship" cars have parts and labor that many times means dealer only and it can get pricey.

Either choice would be night and day better than a BMW 5 series, those cars are money pits when you get outside the warranty.
Old 03-01-13, 02:11 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Haven't owned an IS300 but I can vouch for the LS430. The LS430 I have has been bullet proof so far. If anything in the 3.5 years I have owned it the engine and drive train has gotten smoother and quieter. It amazing. The only item that has broke requiring repair was driver side mirror motor failed - required replacement mirror assembly. That was repaired at no charge under extended warranty (parts and labor $650). No squeaks, rattles, or excessive wear on anything in the car - solid as a rock. My only complain is that I wish the seat bottoms had more padding for my bony posterior.

Oil changes are cheap if you bring your own oil and filter. Long term maintenance is not expensive at all - using the dealer - but you have to ask for only the specific maintenance specified and required in the manual. Do not buy the silly overpriced 15k, 30k, etc maint packages that the dealer tries to sell.

Last edited by Jabberwock; 03-01-13 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 08:17 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Never had an IS300 but I would guess that would be the cheapest to own (also get better mileage too). I have nothing but praise for the LS430, if I could I would take the entire team that built my 430 out to dinner. The car has been nothing but bulletproof. It's built like a tank and the refinement and smoothness goes above and beyond pretty much everything else I've driven (save for an S500, which it was on par with). Car starts up every time without any hesitation, even when I leave it at home for months. I don't do any maintenance myself and drive about 10k mi/yr. Car goes in every 5k mi. Each service is $155, they usually change some fluids/filters so expect to pay 200-500 per normal service. At most, you're dishing out $1k/yr for maintenance, which is very reasonable IMO. I should also add that the guys at my local dealer (Lexus of Ann Arbor) are very polite, honest and excellent to work with.

Out of curiousity, what year is your 5 series? I ask because I use a 2008 528xi as my winter car here at school in Chicago. The car is parked outside (no garage option sadly) and starts up every time in even the nastiest of weather. The only thing I've found is the battery drain is excessive and a new battery is probably needed every 2 yrs or so. Other than that, my 5 has been very reliable and a joy to drive.
Old 03-02-13, 03:37 AM
redkingjoe
Lead Lap

go for LS430...you will not regret.

of all models, lexus put all the premium parts to LS...you just need a good mechanic to inspect before buying
Old 03-04-13, 09:01 AM
swegyptian
Driver School Candidate

Mine is a 2001. At around ten years, everything made of plastic begins to shatter. You should be fine for a while. It's not that's its ever let me down, but things wear out like crazy and require frequent replacement. Thanks guys!