LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

My New Mud Flaps and Custom Floor Mats

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-13, 02:28 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by levie
cool. Iv never seen mud flaps done before, well done.

on a side note, the colour of your car is beautiful!
Thanks for the compliments. My favorite color is Blue. Took me about 7 months to find this model. It was a one owner and was serviced every 5,000 miles at the same dealership.

I'll have to take some additional shots of the mud flaps from a distance to show the OEM consistency and color match.
Old 06-02-13, 02:47 PM
Prochamber
Driver

It's about to storm here but here are some other shots of the mud flaps.
Attached Thumbnails My New Mud Flaps and Custom Floor Mats-1.jpg   My New Mud Flaps and Custom Floor Mats-2.jpg   My New Mud Flaps and Custom Floor Mats-3.jpg   My New Mud Flaps and Custom Floor Mats-5.jpg   My New Mud Flaps and Custom Floor Mats-6.jpg  

Old 06-04-13, 07:48 AM
Prochamber
Driver

Boy did we get some rain yesterday. Afterward the storm passed my car was sooo clean that it looked like I had detailed it again. Later!
Old 06-04-13, 10:18 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 424 Likes on 348 Posts

I want a set of these so bad!
Old 06-04-13, 03:24 PM
marktmark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the mud flap pics. I'm now considering getting a set.

I wonder if it will affect gas mileage...
Old 06-04-13, 04:39 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by marktmark
Thanks for the mud flap pics. I'm now considering getting a set.

I wonder if it will affect gas mileage...
Don't worry about it. Since they are located behind the tires, there will be no increase in drag.
Old 06-04-13, 07:13 PM
Kweigel
Rookie

Default How 'bout those floor mats?

I love those floor mats! Where did you get them? I'd love to get some like yours, only in light green to match my car!
Old 06-04-13, 07:21 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Talking

Originally Posted by Kweigel
I love those floor mats! Where did you get them? I'd love to get some like yours, only in light green to match my car!
Thanks for the compliment. Here is the website. It takes about 4 weeks to be manufactured. But it's worth the wait.

http://www.cocomats.com/style.htm
Old 06-04-13, 07:56 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by jayclapp
Don't worry about it. Since they are located behind the tires, there will be no increase in drag.
There is some drag but it is probably minor. The OEM mud flaps for the early LS400 (90-94) were documented to add one full decibel of noise at highway speeds. From 95-on, OEM LS mud flaps became smaller with the ones for the 95-00 LS400 being about the same size as the ones for the LS430. The original large 90-94 LS mud flaps were more effective but even the smaller ones do some good. I've been given a lot of flack for putting mud flaps on cars -- I particularly liked the OEM mud flaps I had on my Mercedes cars back in 70's and 80's - huge with big white Mercedes stars on the back of them.

I'm definitely not a fan of coco mats - used them on a number of cars - Triumph, Volvo, Mercedes, Honda - from the 60's through most of the 80's. There are reasons you don't see them around anymore. They allow dirty water from shoes to pass through and stain the underlying carpet and are hard on the heels of dress shoes. I don't think any coco mats I bought lasted more than two or three years and they were prone to fading and/or bleeding their colored dye.
Old 06-04-13, 08:31 PM
marktmark
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the opinions on the mileage question.

Wow. I just realized the flaps are around $100 EACH -- not for the whole set.
Old 06-05-13, 03:59 AM
Prochamber
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
There is some drag but it is probably minor. The OEM mud flaps for the early LS400 (90-94) were documented to add one full decibel of noise at highway speeds. From 95-on, OEM LS mud flaps became smaller with the ones for the 95-00 LS400 being about the same size as the ones for the LS430. The original large 90-94 LS mud flaps were more effective but even the smaller ones do some good. I've been given a lot of flack for putting mud flaps on cars -- I particularly liked the OEM mud flaps I had on my Mercedes cars back in 70's and 80's - huge with big white Mercedes stars on the back of them.

I'm definitely not a fan of coco mats - used them on a number of cars - Triumph, Volvo, Mercedes, Honda - from the 60's through most of the 80's. There are reasons you don't see them around anymore. They allow dirty water from shoes to pass through and stain the underlying carpet and are hard on the heels of dress shoes. I don't think any coco mats I bought lasted more than two or three years and they were prone to fading and/or bleeding their colored dye.
The cocmats that you're speaking of must of been the earlier manufactured ones because I have had cocmats in my 420 SEL for close to 6 years and there is no staining under any of my mats. And the cocomats are holding up like new with no tearing or splitting on the edges. I have close to 283,000 miles on my Mercedes. Later!
Old 06-05-13, 08:31 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 105 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm sorry, but coco mats are for front doors! I want something soft and cushy to pamper my feet in this car! Just my opinion.
Old 06-05-13, 05:10 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 254 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Prochamber
The cocmats that you're speaking of must of been the earlier manufactured ones because I have had cocmats in my 420 SEL for close to 6 years and there is no staining under any of my mats. And the cocomats are holding up like new with no tearing or splitting on the edges. I have close to 283,000 miles on my Mercedes. Later!
Based on your previous posts, I guess I got the idea that your 1987 MB 420 was a fair weather hobby car that you bought when it was about 17 years old. I'm talking about coco mats that are used everyday including in harsh conditions like winter slush and snow. I went through many coco mat sets during about 400,000 in three Mercedes cars not counting the coco mats I used in the other cars I mentioned.

I never noticed any bleeding of the coco mat colors on carpets because I always bought mats that matched the carpets. What I am saying is that in every day use in real world, sometimes harsh conditions, coco mats don't last very long. What pissed me off most about coco mats was how their abrasive surfaces trashed the backs of my shoes just above the heels ... something you notice when you wear a very usual (expensive!) shoe size.

I'll give you a plus for your mud flaps but strongly recommend against using "trash-from-the-past" coco mats.
Old 06-05-13, 05:18 PM
Prochamber
Driver

Originally Posted by Kansas
Based on your previous posts, I guess I got the idea that your 1987 MB 420 was a fair weather hobby car that you bought when it was about 17 years old. I'm talking about coco mats that are used everyday including in harsh conditions like winter slush and snow. I went through many coco mat sets during about 400,000 in three Mercedes cars not counting the coco mats I used in the other cars I mentioned.

I never noticed any bleeding of the coco mat colors on carpets because I always bought mats that matched the carpets. What I am saying is that in every day use in real world, sometimes harsh conditions, coco mats don't last very long. What pissed me off most about coco mats was how their abrasive surfaces trashed the backs of my shoes just above the heels ... something you notice when you wear a very usual (expensive!) shoe size.

I'll give you a plus for your mud flaps but strongly recommend against using "trash-from-the-past" coco mats.
I do what I do! You do what you do! Enough said.
Old 06-05-13, 11:17 PM
maying856
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice flaps, I wonder what it looks like lowered on flaps