Search this Thread

Old 06-12-13, 10:03 PM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Common Problems/ Issues with LS430

Tried a search and nothing came up.
If its already out there I apologize.

What are the major issues these cars experience?
What are the minor issues?

My 2005 with 83k just had alternator replaced.
Old 06-12-13, 10:41 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

LS430's are the most reliable car in the world to my opinion.

I have had 2 LS430's 2006. A problem that I had on both would be a rattling noise on the steering wheel, but fixing that is a piece of cake.

Other than that, I just watch my Lexus amaze me.
Old 06-12-13, 11:00 PM
DSRxGOOMPA
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tHeKiNg911
LS430's are the most reliable car in the world to my opinion.

I have had 2 LS430's 2006. A problem that I had on both would be a rattling noise on the steering wheel, but fixing that is a piece of cake.

Other than that, I just watch my Lexus amaze me.
was the rattle when you would hit a bump? if so what did you do to fix it?
Old 06-12-13, 11:38 PM
KING
Lexus Test Driver

Well,it was some kind of rattling noise, and you felt that the steering wheel was very loose.
That would happen when I drove over cat's eyes on a slow speed.

I fixed it by changing a part called the "worm gear", right behind the steering.
It is long on shape. I don't know the exact name that you can search with.

But it did fix that rattling noise and it made the car feel much more stable and made it very beautiful in steering.
Old 06-13-13, 06:35 AM
LEX ES300
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by TriniLex
Tried a search and nothing came up.
If its already out there I apologize.

What are the major issues these cars experience?
What are the minor issues?

My 2005 with 83k just had alternator replaced.
They are very reliable cars and I love mine however if something does go wrong, expect to pay dearly. The main problem is the speakers especially the subwoofer - expect to repair or replace it and some of the door speakers here and there. The foam deteriorates around the speakers.
I had to buy a new subwoofer and have also had to replace the front drivers side door speaker.
Front door lock actuators can also fail. Mine failed at 90,000kms and cost me almost $1000 to fix at the dealer.

Main issue for me is I live in Australia and the ls430 are very rare here and because of this parts are very, very, expensive and only Lexus dealers really know about the car so I am left with little choice. Thanks to club Lexus I have been lucky in that I have been able to repair things myself or sometimes I can get parts from the USA shipped cheaper if they are compatible.

My only current issue is getting a new set of floor mats for my right hand drive ls430. No dealer here has them anymore except for one and guess how much they are....$800!!!
Feel my pain!
Old 06-13-13, 08:30 AM
LexoRoller
Driver School Candidate

What color is your interior? I bought a set of NOS ash gray mats for less than $25, from a referral on this forum...
Old 06-13-13, 08:57 AM
Gene01
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hi.
Over the last two years, I compiled a list of the problems that were mentioned more than once in the CL fora.
Please note that some of them are rather rare, and do not indicate common flaws.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS430 Known Problems.pdf (15.5 KB, 10957 views)
The following users liked this post:
ILUVLEXUS0 (03-29-21)
Old 06-13-13, 09:23 AM
InfamousLS
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump Gene01's write up. Its great!
Old 06-13-13, 09:33 AM
TriniLex
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Great thank you for all that responded.
Old 06-13-13, 09:50 AM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

LS430 Typical problems and associated costs

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...ted-costs.html
Old 06-13-13, 10:38 AM
ancdmd
Lexus Test Driver

some things I've dealt with:

subwoofer -- order repair/re-foam kit online for @$25 and fix yourself
door speakers -- $100 plus small labor charge
mirrors -- often just need to clean electrical contacts in switch, pull it out yourself from under coin tray
dash/nav surround rattles -- easily disassemble dash and console pieces and isolate mounting points with electrical tape/foam and/or lubricate with silicone grease/spray
squeaky door seals -- lube with silicone grease/spray
hissing sound under driver's dash area -- low on a/c refrigerant, add some yourself easily with a hose/gauge and can of pure R-134a or have shop do it $100-200
clunk when going in reverse as soon as you touch the brakes -- brake pad fit kit, cheap
@100-125k miles expect to change motor mounts, transmission mounts, steering bushings and most wearable suspension rubber in order to maintain new car feel
Old 07-21-13, 12:38 AM
sidewayS15
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEX ES300
They are very reliable cars and I love mine however if something does go wrong, expect to pay dearly. The main problem is the speakers especially the subwoofer - expect to repair or replace it and some of the door speakers here and there. The foam deteriorates around the speakers.
I had to buy a new subwoofer and have also had to replace the front drivers side door speaker.
Front door lock actuators can also fail. Mine failed at 90,000kms and cost me almost $1000 to fix at the dealer.

Main issue for me is I live in Australia and the ls430 are very rare here and because of this parts are very, very, expensive and only Lexus dealers really know about the car so I am left with little choice. Thanks to club Lexus I have been lucky in that I have been able to repair things myself or sometimes I can get parts from the USA shipped cheaper if they are compatible.

My only current issue is getting a new set of floor mats for my right hand drive ls430. No dealer here has them anymore except for one and guess how much they are....$800!!!
Feel my pain!
Hey Mate,
I am also in Aus and the only reason i am buying one of these is purely for the option that any parts can be simply ordered from Japan easily.
You could perhaps spruce up your car with some JDM flavour by ordering a set of Celsior floor mats as they are the same identical car and are rhd to suit

I order everything through Jesse Streeter (google him)
He has hooked me up with tonnes of stuff for my S15 drift car like Power FC, nismo injectors, carbon front lip amongst others (all expensive and delicate stuff).

Even better you can shop on Yahoo auctions (Jap Ebay) for anything Celsior and he'll place the bids and if succesful have it all delivered to your Door (Ex Adelaide Aussie who has lived and drifted in Japan for quite a few years now, provides this service as his buisness)

Best of luck mate
Old 07-21-13, 04:37 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you can only go to the dealer the car can bankrupt ya. It is older so many of the repairs and indy can do. There are many parts at salvage yards as rich folks who buy these cars get new parts but they are so well engineered they last and last.

Floor mats 800 bucks, get some good carpet cut em surge em be done with it.
Old 07-21-13, 04:56 PM
warminwisc
Lexus Champion

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Paste on the logo,
Old 12-02-20, 11:51 PM
123go
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of these cars will suffer from these listed issues but not always? The real answer gets into the vehicles location mostly, was it in cold/hot location? What was miles when these parts failed? Was car used more at highway or short city driving? People still pressure wash under hood (stop it your screwing up elect parts) and causes many other issues so we must take it into count on some? Hard driving, lack of maintenance, driving long periods with warning lights on etc..? A lot of things effect peoples cars differently that others may never see/do?

Believe it or not I even seen a guy driving around town with the entire top of his battery blown off and acid blowing all over the engine bay. Why driving it, I asked? Well' because it started and ran..lol Real nice 66 Chevelle too..Yup, hey' they live among us man!..lol
We can't just assume everyone or even anyone else will ever try this nice engine detailing technique but there are just so many factors to look at when trying to determine if/when a vehicle has the same issues. Since I hit 350k miles cold winter air makes my Tundra heater/AC fan motor squeal like a pig and sounds like a rattle snake has got into it until warm air flows through it and all its noise just stops, but does every Tundra do it after 350k? Maybe, maybe not but if so some in Alaska surely would do it sooner and a Florida Tundra may never see the same issue? Just say'n its hard for any of us to know unless we know exactly how/where the vehicles spent most of its life and how/where its been driven and cared for? I don't see that info on this site?

You may have bought your LS in Florida but it may been a great lakes area car for most its life covered in 8ft snow drifts and riding on 3" of salt, so its floors rusted out at 10yrs old? Do all Florida cars do it that soon? Just say'n its hard to pin down repetitive problems most times because its not always the parts design or materials that are at fault? You know what I mean I'm sure...

First link below is a decent website that tries to help us with this. Shows location, miles and problems cars have. It will help keep track of repetitive problems on all makes/models. Great info on there too...

Keep in mind most bs runaway Toy/Lex complaints were posted on NHTSA site because the UAW turned them all in there website yrs ago so they're on here too because their sites are connected. So strange they all simply disappeared overnight ain't it? I still never "personally" met a single person with one that's actually done it to them without any floor mat involvement like complaints stated happened and I live about 15 minutes away from a Toyota plant so our area is absolutely flooded with Toy/Lexus vehicles. Seeing its all interstate/highway here too so' you'd sure think I knew of one that did it at least, I mean with so many of them running down the interstates and all?
The second link below contains the truth about all that, its a very long read but certainly is an eye opener that every American should read imo. Good luck getting one to actually read it all though, amazing how people don't care about truth unless it involves them directly. My suggestion is to read it asap if you actually care since its been buried/removed from many websites a half dozen times over the yrs just understand It may very well be gone tomorrow so print/download it all for your future reading if you think you want to return to it later, it may be long gone! Its been here a good while actually but I like to never found it though and I knew what to search for even.

Car Problem website?
https://www.carcomplaints.com/

This explains what the runaway Toy/Lex complaints were really about. Its happened to other makers before folks and because people don't care about truth, sadly it will happen again. Read it and share it asap.
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2...name-of-nummi/

Quick Reply: Common Problems/ Issues with LS430