LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 08:04 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

No telling how long the replacement timing belt kit has been on the shelf, sitting in a box. Could be just as old as the one that's being replaced.
Old 08-04-17, 08:10 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 372 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by BradTank
No telling how long the replacement timing belt kit has been on the shelf, sitting in a box. Could be just as old as the one that's being replaced.
Parts usually have a reference to mfg date, there would be no point say for Costco to mount tires mfg in 2008, etc. But I would say idlers, tensioners, etc., really doesn't matter. Rubber is different. Many maintain it's not the belt that would cause a failure, it's the other components, like a leaky water pump allowing coolant to hit the belt and it walks off, etc....
Old 08-04-17, 08:38 AM
BradTank
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnhav430
Parts usually have a reference to mfg date, there would be no point say for Costco to mount tires mfg in 2008, etc. But I would say idlers, tensioners, etc., really doesn't matter. Rubber is different. Many maintain it's not the belt that would cause a failure, it's the other components, like a leaky water pump allowing coolant to hit the belt and it walks off, etc....

Tires have to do that because of various laws for safety reasons.

I'm not seeing a manufacture date on this OEM timing belt, and I doubt any Lexus dealership has a policy where it throws away timing belts based on the date of manufacture, but I've been wrong before.
Attached Thumbnails How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.-ls430-timing-belt.png  
Old 08-04-17, 08:44 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by BradTank
Tires have to do that because of various laws for safety reasons.

I'm not seeing a manufacture date on this OEM timing belt, and I doubt any Lexus dealership has a policy where it throws away timing belts based on the date of manufacture, but I've been wrong before.
Hey look how that is made in USA. There is no way it's identical to what came from the factory, so interesting that they charge double that of Aisin. Aisin I believe might be made in USA as well for the kit. This kind of stuff is more clear with German cars, whether a part is Genuine/OE, OEM (same as genuine but lacking the mfg. logo), or aftermarket/equivalent. I believe obviously the belt in the pic is genuine, but there is no way to tell that an Aisin is not identical lacking the Lexus bag. Since it's not from Japan, I say OE with the timing belt kit is of no value whatsoever....

I would have to look at the original Aisin box that my indie used, it's not from amazon etc., it's from the distributor....to see if there is any hint of a date...

p.s. the bando serpentine belt is also a curiosity, I think there are 3 of them at varying prices.....
Old 08-04-17, 03:23 PM
Bocatrip
Lead Lap

Received 274 Likes on 231 Posts

For what it's worth I believe I started a thread years ago related to the same question asked.which might have been.....Has anyone with an LS430 experienced a timing belt failure? From what I remembered there was one or two incidents total but we know that most owners of our cars don't look or belong to our great forum. Regardless....Our timing belts are quite robust and most likely proven to last double the time that Lexus suggests to replace....Yes 180,000 miles....This way the manufacturer is covered. Regardless, doing the replacement 10 or 20 Thou later than recommended more than likely will be harmless. Our cars were over engineered and is why they have such a great reputation. Now they are just old cars and should be taken care of if anyone wants to keep them for more than a few years unless still the original owner.
Old 08-04-17, 08:13 PM
Gronemus
Advanced

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts

Many maintain it's not the belt that would cause a failure, it's the other components, like a leaky water pump allowing coolant to hit the belt and it walks off, etc....
John, you're half right. A lot of times it's the idlers or one of the bearings that seize that cause a belt to break. A leaking water pump will not, by itself, do harm. I don't see a rash of serpentine belts walking off engines even though they are constantly exposed to water.

As far as the picture of the timing belt that Brad showed, its not for an LS430 but for 4Runner, Sequoia, Tundra and Land Cruiser. You do know that Toyota makes a heck of a lot of cars in the US and I'm sure that there are plenty of Toyota branded OEM parts made here in the US...
Old 08-05-17, 05:24 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Just thought of this, I bought my car at 81k, knowing it needed the timing belt service officially at 90k.....I was satisfied that they took $1200 off the asking price (general discount). Next time, if there is one, I'm going to use the formula that the service is $850 at an indie, not $1800 at Lexus. If the car is shy by 9k of the service, then 81/90 of $850 is used up. So deduct $1200 plus $765 for the timing belt. Whether or not the seller agrees, is up to him/her....again, two Lexus dealers selling used LS430s were willing to throw in the timing belt jobs (whether they really perform the work is an entirely different story--how would you even know prior to purchasing the vehicle? My brake flush and coolant drain ARE NOT on the carfax even though performed at a authorized Lexus dealership under my ownership, too much hanky panky at dealers)
Old 08-05-17, 08:15 AM
e60bmw
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 100 Posts

I may have overpaid a bit but I have piece of mind driving this car around now. It was always in the back of my head about the timing belt on this car. I have the Aisin kit along with a coolant flush and some other stuff, came in around $1300. The parts for the stuff I had done were around $660,(415 for the Aisin kit) and it was 6 hours of labor @100 hour. My car hasn't been in the shop since I bought it 3 years ago. Only issues I need to address on the car now are probably the telescoping motor for the steering wheel, and need to sort out my air suspension, I've had the rear sag on the car for a while now. I also plan on painting some of my armrest trim soon with the AEM paint I bought recently.
Old 08-06-17, 06:52 AM
Johnhav430
Lexus Fanatic

Even though not identical, found an example online, of one breaking on a tundra at 116k....who really knows for sure...
Old 10-18-20, 05:59 PM
RSGS430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thank you for shining the light i am at 237,380 on the GS 430 last owner was lazy on the maintenance held off for 7 months to do an oil change and i cant find no records of there being a belt replaced i was about to hold it off for two more weeks but reading this tells me tommorow is the day... i have all the parts now the whole kit & gaskets and all i am doing camshaft seals, crankshaft seal,valve cover gaskets also the spark plugs....my first time doing this type of engine work i am not afraid i am nevous but if i take my time i will suceed All Toyota/Lexus parts even the coolant lol and if i fail and do not succeed well theres an engine on ebay somehwere with my name on it and lesser miles
Old 10-19-20, 06:05 AM
YODAONE
Lexus Champion

Received 410 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by RSGS430
thank you for shining the light i am at 237,380 on the GS 430 last owner was lazy on the maintenance held off for 7 months to do an oil change and i cant find no records of there being a belt replaced i was about to hold it off for two more weeks but reading this tells me tommorow is the day... i have all the parts now the whole kit & gaskets and all i am doing camshaft seals, crankshaft seal,valve cover gaskets also the spark plugs....my first time doing this type of engine work i am not afraid i am nevous but if i take my time i will suceed All Toyota/Lexus parts even the coolant lol and if i fail and do not succeed well theres an engine on ebay somehwere with my name on it and lesser miles
The timing belt will still be an issue on any replacement engine. Find someone who has performed a timing belt change for direct project assistance. Prepare and win.
The following users liked this post:
RSGS430 (11-30-20)
Old 11-21-20, 04:58 PM
gumbyls
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just did the belt on my 03 with 163k. Belt was trashed.. idler was a little rumbly and the water pump seeped a bit. The belt would have failed with or without something failing. It was junk.
Its not terribly hard job and not a lot special about it. There's a great video on YouTube by a tech with clearly a lot of experience. Its on a gx and a little different, but still the best I've seen.He torqued everything and gave the specs.
Aisin kit from RA with tensioner,, idler,, water pump and belt. Also did accessory belt, idler, tensioner, plugs, hoses, t-stat, and vc gasket. Got timing cover gaskets and cam and crank seals, but didn't do the seals as they were fine and added a ton to the job. Really was not that expensive.

It was worth doing all of it if for nothing else I now know where my new car stands on maintenance.

The following users liked this post:
RSGS430 (11-30-20)
Old 11-03-21, 04:33 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just thought of this, I bought my car at 81k, knowing it needed the timing belt service officially at 90k.....I was satisfied that they took $1200 off the asking price (general discount). Next time, if there is one, I'm going to use the formula that the service is $850 at an indie, not $1800 at Lexus. If the car is shy by 9k of the service, then 81/90 of $850 is used up. So deduct $1200 plus $765 for the timing belt. Whether or not the seller agrees, is up to him/her....again, two Lexus dealers selling used LS430s were willing to throw in the timing belt jobs (whether they really perform the work is an entirely different story--how would you even know prior to purchasing the vehicle? My brake flush and coolant drain ARE NOT on the carfax even though performed at a authorized Lexus dealership under my ownership, too much hanky panky at dealers)
Just noticed you mentioned that the brake flush and coolant drain aren't on the Carfax... well, if they were indeed performed at a Lexus dealer. You can see ALL the service record history here:
https://drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/service/history
Old 11-03-21, 04:40 PM
AirRideFan
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gumbyls
Just did the belt on my 03 with 163k. Belt was trashed.. idler was a little rumbly and the water pump seeped a bit. The belt would have failed with or without something failing. It was junk.
Its not terribly hard job and not a lot special about it. There's a great video on YouTube by a tech with clearly a lot of experience. Its on a gx and a little different, but still the best I've seen.He torqued everything and gave the specs.
Aisin kit from RA with tensioner,, idler,, water pump and belt. Also did accessory belt, idler, tensioner, plugs, hoses, t-stat, and vc gasket. Got timing cover gaskets and cam and crank seals, but didn't do the seals as they were fine and added a ton to the job. Really was not that expensive.

It was worth doing all of it if for nothing else I now know where my new car stands on maintenance.
Wow...nice job! You did it all yourself? In a garage, I assume? ha--- I don't have access to a garage right now...just my driveway in Pittsburgh...so it's super difficult unless we happen to have RARE, decent weather here & no rain. I had my Timing Belt in 2012 at 118k miles... Now my '01 GS430 has only 142k miles on it.... what are your thoughts? The car's been pretty much sitting --- although ALWAYS outside... 95-100+ degree summers and 10 degrees and below winters and only driven occasionally when there is def NOT salt on the roads.

They recommend "9 years" for a reason...but I know a lot of people have gotten away with MANY more miles and 12-14 even 15-16 years.

What do you guys thing... (last) New Timing Belt was done 25k miles ago, but 9 years ago ?
Old 11-04-21, 07:38 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRideFan
unless we happen to have RARE, decent weather here & no rain. I had my Timing Belt in 2012 at 118k miles... Now my '01 GS430 has only 142k miles on it.... what are your thoughts? The car's been pretty much sitting --- although ALWAYS outside... 95-100+ degree summers and 10 degrees and below winters and only driven occasionally when there is def NOT salt on the roads.

They recommend "9 years" for a reason...but I know a lot of people have gotten away with MANY more miles and 12-14 even 15-16 years.

What do you guys thing... (last) New Timing Belt was done 25k miles ago, but 9 years ago ?
If it's OEM, I wouldn't worry about it. I did mine 8 years ago and have only put 50k on it. I am not replacing for at least another 8 years or so.

Quick Reply: How Long do 3UZ-FE Timing Belts Last? 138,674 miles.