LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Would you update the map on your OEM navi?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-13, 12:07 PM
Jimbo68
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why Would You Want to Upgrade

I own the 2011 ES and I have to say the nav system has to be the most worthless POS nav on the road. Routing algorithms are a joke.....no where near accurate, ETA refuses to calculate mileage remaining vs speed and give you an accurate estimate until you are just a few miles from destination. I sit a Garmin on the dash and turn Lexus's joke for a nav system off.
Old 08-27-13, 12:48 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't need the NAV most of the time and it really sucks that the map shows up as the default display, this is why I turn off the parking sensor because I don't want to revert to map when it senses something. I use either my phone or Garmin when I really need to find something.
Old 08-27-13, 02:38 PM
gomboy60
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 8 yr old Garmin works fine and no, I will not spend 150 for the upgrade.

cy

2005 LS430
Old 08-27-13, 05:30 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimbo68
I own the 2011 ES and I have to say the nav system has to be the most worthless POS nav on the road. Routing algorithms are a joke.....no where near accurate, ETA refuses to calculate mileage remaining vs speed and give you an accurate estimate until you are just a few miles from destination. I sit a Garmin on the dash and turn Lexus's joke for a nav system off.
The last person I helped with a problem that sounds like yours found that changing several settings in the nav setup make it work the way he wanted. Specifically, check the average driving speeds and Auto Avoid traffic settings. There may be others but these are the two main ones I remember causing issues like you are having.
Old 08-27-13, 05:33 PM
hoonunya
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not upgrade even if it was free. I have used the override many times. The maps have worked fine for me with the exception of new neighborhoods and you can use a phone for those few exceptions.
Old 08-28-13, 07:43 PM
Moikoi
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like 50/50 here...
Old 08-28-13, 08:09 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

i have ver 12 in my nav. Dealer upgraded it before I purchased the car. I don't use it though. I find it so much easier and more accurate to just use my phone when I need it. The fact that I can't access it while stopped at a light or have my passenger program it while I am driving is very annoying and really kills it for me. I can just talk to my phone and within seconds it's up and running. Good ole' Google.
Old 08-29-13, 02:58 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

for the life of me i cant find the option to switch from ABC to QWRTY on the nav!?

its an 04 with org. disk

does upgrading to a newer disk not necessary the newest disk will fix this issue?
Old 08-29-13, 06:14 PM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
for the life of me i cant find the option to switch from ABC to QWRTY on the nav!?

its an 04 with org. disk

does upgrading to a newer disk not necessary the newest disk will fix this issue?
Per http://www.lexusnavigation.com/faq.php :

"Does installation of a navigation update change the way my navigation display looks or operates?
No, a navigation update only updates map and POI (points of interest) information."

There are very minor exceptions to the above statement.

An "ABC-only" virtual keyboard was common on navigation systems of that era. I had one and I adjusted to it quickly. Newer Lexus navigation generations allow choosing between ABC and QWERTY but I don't know which generation first allowed it. For sure, generation 6 (2010-up) does.
Old 08-29-13, 07:48 PM
thinkin
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chunkyda
I don't need the NAV most of the time and it really sucks that the map shows up as the default display, this is why I turn off the parking sensor because I don't want to revert to map when it senses something.
Not a complete fix, but there is a setting under Information --> Screen Settings that changes the behavior so it won't switch back to the map from audio or climate. I don't know if it affects the parking switch back.
Old 08-29-13, 08:47 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 432 Likes on 356 Posts

I've never used the navigation before so I haven't bothered to update it. It's so old and outdated. I'd rather just read a map before a trip or put money into a portable Garmin unit.
Old 08-29-13, 11:09 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
Per http://www.lexusnavigation.com/faq.php :

"Does installation of a navigation update change the way my navigation display looks or operates?
No, a navigation update only updates map and POI (points of interest) information."

There are very minor exceptions to the above statement.

An "ABC-only" virtual keyboard was common on navigation systems of that era. I had one and I adjusted to it quickly. Newer Lexus navigation generations allow choosing between ABC and QWERTY but I don't know which generation first allowed it. For sure, generation 6 (2010-up) does.

my 06 is350 allows the option to switch to QWERTY plus it has the override feature as well but i know for sure the nav gen is diff. should i be looking for an 06 disk but gen 4?
Old 08-30-13, 03:54 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by sr20mofo
my 06 is350 allows the option to switch to QWERTY plus it has the override feature as well but i know for sure the nav gen is diff. should i be looking for an 06 disk but gen 4?
Your 06 IS350 has a gen 5 system - do not buy a gen 4 update! See here: http://www.lexusnavigation.com/what_to_order.php
Old 08-30-13, 09:15 AM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

All this concern about the lack of usability of the Lexus nav system. Makes me wonder how people actually managed to drive cars the 100 years before a nav system was invented. Poor deprived people must have gone wild trying to get somewhere!
Old 09-02-13, 04:38 PM
campisi
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i have a 2003 with the original disk. Never thought it was worthwhile to upgrade it. In 10 years I can count on one hand the number of times I've needed to improvise because the maps were not 'up-to-date'. I use my phone for backup.
FWIW, I think the Nav in my car is actually pretty good for local routing.

Quick Reply: Would you update the map on your OEM navi?