LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

Would you update the map on your OEM navi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-13, 08:20 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Upgraded from my original 04 disk to the 10.1 two years ago. Tonight I upgraded to the 12.1...all using my "backup" disks. Of course my Samsung Galaxy S4 has up to date nav...but I like having to not drain battery using the phone GPS.
Old 09-07-13, 08:37 AM
430drvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never could justify the update for my '04 LS 430.

1. Even though its 9 years old, it has only missed one location, and got me close enough for a visual.

2. It is 9 year old tech, and no matter what you do to it, it isn't going to function as well as a $100 Garmin. I use a cheap Garmin in an '04 Suburban that's a dedicated road trip vehicle, and apart from screen size, it is a much much better tool than any new system I've used from Toyota or GM. This isn't a knock on the LS. Its 9 yr old tech is still better than anything new from GM, as far as I can tell.

3. The override is too valuable.

Unless the carmakers really up their game in this area--in usability, features and reliability--my next vehicle won't have factory nav--if I can find a luxury or near luxury vehicle w/out it. Same for rear seat DVD. You can outfit everyone w/ Ipads for the cost of those systems.
Old 09-07-13, 09:31 AM
Kansas
Lead Lap

Received 256 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by 430drvr
Unless the carmakers really up their game in this area--in usability, features and reliability--my next vehicle won't have factory nav--if I can find a luxury or near luxury vehicle w/out it. Same for rear seat DVD. You can outfit everyone w/ Ipads for the cost of those systems.
It is becoming virtually impossible to avoid OEM navigation if you want a decently equipped vehicle. 07-12 LS460's without navigation were rare and navigation is now standard on the '13 LS460.

These days, it's mainly entry level models that come without standard navigation.

I have to admit that the gen 6 nav in our Prius and the gen 7 nav that I recently played with in a Lexus loaner ES350 compare reasonably well with our year old Garmin 2595 units which are pretty cool themselves with their built-in traffic, Bluetooth and excellent voice control..

Garmin seems to be focusing more on OEM in-dash GPS and telematics in general and I don't expect them to be producing portable automotive GPS units all that much longer. I certainly wish Garmin well since they are an important economic force and employer here in Johnson County Kansas.
Old 09-07-13, 12:52 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

The dealer upgraded my 04 to 12.1 before I purchased it which is nice but I just find the system really annoying to use. Especially, that I have to be stopped to put in a address and the resolution of the screen. It may be a bit redundant but I did end up picking up a Garmin Nuvi 2597lmt with lifetime maps and traffic. Much nicer. Syncs to your phone and has some cool features. Of course, Google does a great job on my S4 but I don't like how much it will drain the battery and handling it with phone calls, etc. I just use Google Now to find an address and put it in the Garmin. Now I just need a darn mini input to play Pandora and everything would be great... LOL

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 09-08-13 at 06:07 AM.
Old 09-07-13, 09:38 PM
AlexusAnja
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

People... a nav is to.get.you from A to B. It's not suppose to be fancy and you're not staring at the darn screen. You take a look to see when next turn is approximately and back to road. I have a portable garmin on my '99 Rx and '10 MDX and i woukd take indash over portable. I hate hanging wires and having things sit or attached on my dash. Also, with phone or portable, once signal lost or battery gone...then what?
Old 09-08-13, 04:20 AM
DonMolina
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In the phone's defense, you can just have the screen off and listen to the voice directions, or you could just plug it in your car and charge it as you use it. Also, there are a lot of apps with low-power modes that will help you in that regard. And while the OEM navigation systems are just perks companies through at you, and not the primary reason one would buy a car, they don't have the competition to make them excellent. At least 10 or even 5 years ago. Nowadays, they are getting much better, but still, the mobile apps are in a fiercely competitive environment and will always produce better results in terms of updates, polish, features and whatever.

And they're dirt cheap.
Old 09-08-13, 04:53 AM
Natey2
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the original (04?) NAV disc in my 2005 LS430. What is this "loss of override" everyone is talking about if I were to upgrade my NAV? Right now, I can't enter an address unless my car is stopped too.
I prefer Google Maps on my Android phone, but I'll say this: a man with one GPS knows how to get to target location; a man with 2 GPS units is never sure. Lol!
Also, I have seen my phone reboot itself during extended navigation use while sitting on the dashboard; the phone wasn't designed for high temperature (130 F , because of direct sunlight?) use on a dashboard.
Old 09-08-13, 06:03 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Check out the video.

I have also experienced my old S3 overheating before. Did not reboot but went into a protective mode.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iy-thread.html
Old 09-13-13, 05:31 AM
newgs430
Driver School Candidate

no where hitting why i use the oem nav in our 04 gs430, big screen, no hanging wires and both the android and iphone get hot as hell if i use them all day on our frequent road trips up and down the east coast

i've had both phones simply stop working and hang if use them too long... where talking hours...

so off to find the nearest lexus dealers around Venice Florida
Old 09-16-13, 08:10 AM
walleyeman
Rookie

After reading through these posts, I think I will not upgrade my 03.

As an outside sales person, I really value just speaking into my phone to find a contact then one click on their address puts it in the map mode and gives directions. With over 2000 contacts it is way too tedious to type in every location.

Now...if the iphone would display on the nav screen.......
Old 09-27-13, 11:50 AM
Prochamber
Driver

I notice that the in dash unit gets really crazy with directions sometimes and I almost forgot that I had my Magellan in my Mercedes which I only drive on weekends. Instead of updating my Lexus GPS unit,

I did this instead. I just pop it off when I don't need to use it. Later!
Attached Thumbnails Would you update the map on your OEM navi?-magellan.jpg  
Old 09-27-13, 12:03 PM
NorthGa
Rookie

Default I like the Nav System in my '13' RX350

Admittedly I had and still own an older Garmin; maybe 5 years old? The free updates are nice. But.....I've gotten to like the Nav system in the RX. I like it when it does that split screen stuff. I live in the 'not detailed' areas of Georgia but the system still seems to work fairly well? I will be updating my system when the '13' version comes out. Toyota/Lexus is giving me a free upgrade so I am fortunate. Plus I have the Gen 7 version so maybe that is a 'tad' better? I don't seem to have a problem with not being able to 'navigate' while moving? I use the voice option which allows me to ask/do stuff while moving? It works for me?
Old 09-27-13, 01:01 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by NorthGa
Admittedly I had and still own an older Garmin; maybe 5 years old? The free updates are nice. But.....I've gotten to like the Nav system in the RX. I like it when it does that split screen stuff. I live in the 'not detailed' areas of Georgia but the system still seems to work fairly well? I will be updating my system when the '13' version comes out. Toyota/Lexus is giving me a free upgrade so I am fortunate. Plus I have the Gen 7 version so maybe that is a 'tad' better? I don't seem to have a problem with not being able to 'navigate' while moving? I use the voice option which allows me to ask/do stuff while moving? It works for me?
Well, the LS430 uses Gen 2/3 for the 01-03 and Gen 4 for 04-06....technology that is quite dated compared to your Gen 7 2013.