LS - 3rd Gen (2001-2006) Discussion topics related to the flagship Lexus LS430

New member...old problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-13, 05:16 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default New member...old problem

Was out yesterday and noticed an older LS430 UL on a lot that I purchased my 7series from. went in to "look" and ended up buying the car

Silver w/ black interior like my LS400
http://instagram.com/p/dfuYDFKAzK/#
only problem is no sound from the stereo. I suspect (from searching this section) that the ML amp is out.

checked fuses and the 30amp Amp fuse is 'good'...so Im seriously debating on going full aftermarket so I dont have to worry about it again.

Im sad but still excited to join the LS430 Fam here at CL
Old 08-26-13, 07:05 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 436 Likes on 359 Posts

Welcome to the LS430 forum!

Congrats on the new car. The interior looks good. As far as now sound issue goes, my guess would be the factory amp went out. Aftermarket audio is the way to go!
Old 08-26-13, 07:13 PM
waijai
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Yeah my factory amp went out on my 04...pretty expensive to replace with a factory piece. Luckily I had extended warranty that covered it. Aftermarket is what I would suggest.
Old 08-27-13, 10:37 AM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
Welcome to the LS430 forum!

Congrats on the new car. The interior looks good. As far as now sound issue goes, my guess would be the factory amp went out. Aftermarket audio is the way to go!
Thanks for the welcome
Originally Posted by waijai
Yeah my factory amp went out on my 04...pretty expensive to replace with a factory piece. Luckily I had extended warranty that covered it. Aftermarket is what I would suggest.
yeah, it REALLY looks like I may go full aftermarket after what I discovered last night.

I pulled the trunk panels to take a look at the NAV , Tuner and Amp. The Tuner and Navigation unit are totally rusted over. I opened up the tuner and the board is rusted, & covered in "whatever" I just assumed the Nav unit was in the same condition.

NAV DVD UNIT:

INSIDE THE TUNER:

So at this point I dont know if Ill replace the NAV & Tuner and possibly the amp...or just teh amp and go with an aftermarket deck with the BeatSonic dash kit

I wouldn't need the OEM NAV box and tuner if im going aftermarket right? or would not having them(nav&tuner) have sum i'll effect on the rest of the car ???

EDIT: could the bad tuner / NAV box cause the AMP not to power up??
Old 08-27-13, 10:58 AM
jimbosr1
Pole Position

Received 170 Likes on 129 Posts

do you think that its been in a flood?
if so I would be talking to a lawyer.has to be disclosed before you buy it.good luck
Old 08-27-13, 10:59 AM
SLLTO
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DriftGirl
Was out yesterday and noticed an older LS430 UL on a lot that I purchased my 7series from. went in to "look" and ended up buying the car

Silver w/ black interior like my LS400
http://instagram.com/p/dfuYDFKAzK/#
only problem is no sound from the stereo. I suspect (from searching this section) that the ML amp is out.

checked fuses and the 30amp Amp fuse is 'good'...so Im seriously debating on going full aftermarket so I dont have to worry about it again.

Im sad but still excited to join the LS430 Fam here at CL
Welcome to the UCF team...what year did you buy? as someont that works in music at first listen the ML system is not bad...with the right music the clearity is super dope...after a month of having my car ( https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...s430-team.html ) i realized that is lacks in low and end really unless you have a song from an original CD or super high quality bitrate you will get some popping and scratching through the speakers at high volume. with all that being said if you have the opp now do the upgrade wto and aftermarket system and get it sounding how u want it to

show some Instagram love it you like IG: SirLanceLotTO
Old 08-27-13, 12:53 PM
chunkyda
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Trunk leak or flood? That does not look good at all! I have seen cleaner boxes in a junkyard.
Old 08-27-13, 03:04 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Not a flood..previous owner had the trunk closing mechanism go bad...trunk wouldnt close,so they had it under a car cover before finally trading it in.

The salesman said: trunk wont close, stereo has no sound and NAV doesnt work...other than that its really nice!

I guess they (owners and car lot) didnt notice the keyhole on the trunk

Sooooo, After I signed the papers, I went out and closed the trunk. I already knew that the NAV was going to be shot, but its fused,so the damage would stop there.

The tuner damage came as a surprise, but the first thing I always mod is the stereo,so its not all that big of a deal to "make right". I just want to know all my options before I dig in
Old 08-27-13, 03:35 PM
BradTank
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts

If I were you, I would look at other electrical parts of the car (like the ECM) because that looks like some serious flooding. Maybe have a 3rd party shop do some digging for you? It would be a wise investment.

I don't know how long the car has been in your possession, but most states have pretty strict laws about disclosure with flood damage. Saying the stereo doesn't work and saying the car has a form of flood damage are two very different things.

Let's assume the dealer is telling the truth (and that's a big assumption) even a partially opened trunk that traps in water and corrodes everything inside may as well have been in Hurricane Sandy.

No matter how great a deal a car may be, run, don't walk away if it's had flood damage. Modern cars are simply too complex, that's why insurance companies and state agencies are usually pretty vigilant about making sure they go to the scrapyard and not into the hands of consumers.
Old 08-27-13, 06:47 PM
StanVanDam
Instructor

Received 206 Likes on 155 Posts

Either someone left the trunk open in a rainstorm or the car was flooded. A significant amount of water was in there - the circuit board could not have been corroded like that if it wasn't totally soaked. I'd also bet everything underneath that area is rusted out too.

The Nav unit, amplifier, and all the wiring/harnesses under there are expensive to repair/replace - I'd look into returning the car and getting your money back, or be prepared to fix several things in that area..
Old 08-27-13, 08:26 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, more eyes are always good

The water was isolated to that corner of the car. So I feel comfy ordering the Nav and Tuner...and im sure the Amp. I wouldnt mind taking a peek inside it

The only other "issue" that the car has is the trunk switch not working. Cant seem to find the fuse for it ,so I'll pull the mechanism and test it with a 12v power supply.
Old 08-28-13, 10:31 AM
RA40
Super Moderator

Received 472 Likes on 362 Posts

Wow

So long as the harness has not deteriorated, finding these at a dismantler should remedy this. To bad that Toyota chose to put such sensitive components into an area that is at risk from a poor seal. As well, a rear quarter impact hit will take all this out.
Old 08-30-13, 04:49 PM
DriftGirl
Lexus Champion

Ok, went out to look at teh car after the huge rain storm we just had yesterday. Water back in that same corner.

So much for my day off......

Step 1:
Placed a water hose on the roof to figure out how/where the water was coming in from.

Pulled the trunk seal and the 2 plastic pieces down the side of the taillight.

Problem solved...the seal on the taillight was bad. The light looked like a fishbowl

resealed that whole area (just in case),cleaned the debris,repaired the gasket and bolted everything back up.

Placed a water hose on the roof to test out my handy work...Done deal!!

re-Inspecting the harnesses before I start throwing "stuff "into the car.

today was a good day
Old 08-30-13, 05:08 PM
HiloDB1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Good to hear you found your leak.
Old 08-30-13, 05:31 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

Awesome. Glad you found the problem.